PDA

View Full Version : I hit a snag.

evansvillenowmilton
05-29-2014, 07:55 PM
I have polio. cant walk or stand. I use a power chair,I plan on ,if I need to use my chair that day on that trip I will haul it in a trailer.. I can have a pas. unload, or ask a passer by to help. Will I have to get totaly off the Spyder to refuel? Will I have to unload wheelchair? To get off the seat?

Red angel
05-29-2014, 08:07 PM
Suggest you buy a custom seat with a fuel door in it. Corbin has such a seat which can be opened while seated on the bike, otherwise your seat needs to be lifted up for refueling. By the way which model are you getting.

sddinnh
05-29-2014, 08:07 PM
I have polio. cant walk or stand. I use a power chair,I plan on ,if I need to use my chair that day on that trip I will haul it in a trailer.. I can have a pas. unload, or ask a passer by to help. Will I have to get totaly off the Spyder to refuel? Will I have to unload wheelchair? To get off the seat?

That's an interesting question. With a stock seat, I think you'd have to get off, but there are custom seats with fuel doors in them. I'm not really fond of the Ultimate that I have in that respect and think the Corbin system is better. Now, let's say you have the fuel door so you don't have to lift the seat, so that part of the problem is do-able. Next problem, if you miss the island with the wheel, can you still reach the pump to operate it while sitting in the seat? To be honest, I don't know, but when I go to the gas station tomorrow, I'll try it and report back to you.

evansvillenowmilton
05-29-2014, 08:25 PM
havnt made my mind up yet as to what model. Im looking at a 2014 RT.I cant do the $30,000..I think $22,000. I can afford I sold my truck. to much for lift replacement...Spyder has to be more fun. . still working out in my head the how to..I know I can get on .It will be much easyer at my home rather than a store full of folks.

evansvillenowmilton
05-29-2014, 08:29 PM
That's an interesting question. With a stock seat, I think you'd have to get off, but there are custom seats with fuel doors in them. I'm not really fond of the Ultimate that I have in that respect and think the Corbin system is better. Now, let's say you have the fuel door so you don't have to lift the seat, so that part of the problem is do-able. Next problem, if you miss the island with the wheel, can you still reach the pump to operate it while sitting in the seat? To be honest, I don't know, but when I go to the gas station tomorrow, I'll try it and report back to you.
thanks Steve do that. Im a big guy.. But check this out I call inside with my phone to get help pumping. If I can reach it I will hunt a seat down. later

SpyderAnn01
05-29-2014, 08:46 PM
havnt made my mind up yet as to what model. Im looking at a 2014 RT.I cant do the $30,000..I think $22,000. I can afford I sold my truck. to much for lift replacement...Spyder has to be more fun. . still working out in my head the how to..I know I can get on .It will be much easyer at my home rather than a store full of folks.

Just curious, how do you plan on carrying your chair on an RT? I've only seen it done on an RS and I suppose it would work on the ST too.

Chupaca
05-29-2014, 10:22 PM
you can have a gas door installed, or get a new seat with one in it as far as gas goes. As for the chair, the RT's have trunks and side bags. Most have been using the RS/RSS/ST's. But there must be a way to have a hitch rack or trailer depending on the weights of the power chair..check the enabled spyder lovers forum..good luck and hope your on the road soon...:thumbup::ohyea:

bikeguy
05-29-2014, 11:53 PM
I know this is a completely different animal but I think I'd be remiss if I didn't mention it. I have seen a couple of sidecar setups built to roll a wheelchair up on and control the bike from the chair. Handlebars were connected to the steering head with control arms and throttle and front brake with extended cables. Both setups I've seen were on the old Hondamatic transmissions where no clutch was needed so rear brakes could be operated from a lever on the left handlebar. I'm certainly not trying to talk you out of getting on a Spyder but this is another option that you might consider as it would allow you to remain in the chair and eliminate the problem of getting on and off, fueling up, etc. Best of luck with whatever option you choose and hope to see you on the road sometime soon.

Cotton

Dan_Ashley
05-30-2014, 04:11 PM
This looks like it might work...any idea of where to get it built in the US? http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9JP7Mx7XCv4

sddinnh
05-30-2014, 04:36 PM
Well, if it was me, I'd have to make the call and get the guy to come out and pump for me. I'm pretty small and no matter how I tried, I couldn't use the pump myself. Sorry, but with the fuel door, at least you don't have to get off the bike if someone else is pumping fuel. I could, however, use the ATM from the bike seat.

evansvillenowmilton
05-31-2014, 04:30 PM
[QUOTE=evansvillenowmilton;...I got it..it came to me this morning while I was fussen about my lift in my truck. BOOM Put a lift on the front of my trailer. I can make the lift put the chair near the pass.seat of Spyder.Then I can reach it.Then I buy that CORbIN seat with the gas cap on the exter. of the seat. Im set..... Na BIKEGUY I got my mind set on a Spyder.I thoght about the side car thing. I can get on a Spyder off the show room floor and ride it.New and dependable.A bike with a side car . I would have to do engineering and the cost. When I need to sell Spyder there will be no ADA add ons.

jthornton
05-31-2014, 04:45 PM
What does your chair weigh?

Does the chair have a central lift point?

I know when backing up the RT622 trailer you can get the trailer 90° to the Spyder with ease... just thinking out loud cause I do fabrication and machining work for a living. I'm thinking a dedicated trailer for the chair... maybe where the chair drives off the side right up to the Spyder???

JT

evansvillenowmilton
05-31-2014, 11:30 PM

I know when backing up the RT622 trailer you can get the trailer 90° to the Spyder with ease... just thinking out loud cause I do fabrication and machining work for a living. I'm thinking a dedicated trailer for the chair... maybe where the chair drives off the side right up to the Spyder???

JT I came up with this this morning..See what you think... I put a lift for my wheelchair in the center front of my 4x7 trailer.Then I park with trailer Close to JACK KNIFE. Then operate lift from my seat on Spyder, to sit chair rite at the spyder.Thats how my truck worked.. The lift set my power chair at the passenger door from the bed.

evansvillenowmilton
05-31-2014, 11:32 PM
Just curious, how do you plan on carrying your chair on an RT? I've only seen it done on an RS and I suppose it would work on the ST too.Trailer with a lift.

jthornton
06-01-2014, 05:32 AM
I came up with this this morning..See what you think... I put a lift for my wheelchair in the center front of my 4x7 trailer.Then I park with trailer Close to JACK KNIFE. Then operate lift from my seat on Spyder, to sit chair rite at the spyder.Thats how my truck worked.. The lift set my power chair at the passenger door from the bed.

A 4x7 trailer may be too heavy for the Spyder to pull. The weight limit of the hitch is 400 lbs draw and 40 lbs tongue weight. That's what I had imagined but with a smaller trailer.

Do you have a photo of your current setup?

JT

evansvillenowmilton
06-01-2014, 11:05 AM
A 4x7 trailer may be too heavy for the Spyder to pull. The weight limit of the hitch is 400 lbs draw and 40 lbs tongue weight. That's what I had imagined but with a smaller trailer.

Do you have a photo of your current setup?

JT No Im still trying to figure out the how and how much. You now have told me 400# is all I can tow,, That helps.. My chair is 350. So even a small trailer Im over the load limit. I cant get out and up on to the seat from a manual wheelchair.My chair ,,the seat lifts me 8"-10". Then I pull myself in to the seat of my truck and I guess the spyder.I now need to come up with a wheelchair thats lighter.I dont think that will be very easy.Most of the time I will not need a wheelchair. I can just stay on Spyder. I sit . It doesnt matter where or what I sit on. So Ill stay on spyder and site see.. But I wont to be able to have a chair. DR office,shopping,out to eat......

EnjoyingTheRyde
06-01-2014, 11:46 AM
Wow, those chairs are heavy. They must carry quite a bit of weight just in batteries.

jthornton
06-01-2014, 02:42 PM
No Im still trying to figure out the how and how much. You now have told me 400# is all I can tow,, That helps.. My chair is 350. So even a small trailer Im over the load limit. I cant get out and up on to the seat from a manual wheelchair.My chair ,,the seat lifts me 8"-10". Then I pull myself in to the seat of my truck and I guess the spyder.I now need to come up with a wheelchair thats lighter.I dont think that will be very easy.Most of the time I will not need a wheelchair. I can just stay on Spyder. I sit . It doesnt matter where or what I sit on. So Ill stay on spyder and site see.. But I wont to be able to have a chair. DR office,shopping,out to eat......

To be honest with you I've had more that 400 lbs on my trailer hitch when we went to Maggie Valley... my wife brings everything and some twice. An aluminum trailer could be a possibility. What is the foot print of the chair?

I just did a search for a heavy duty chair (http://www.spinlife.com/Pride-Jazzy-614-HD-Heavy-Duty/High-Weight-Capacity-Power-Wheelchair/spec.cfm?productID=84644&adv=googlepla&utm_medium=CSE&utm_term=Jazzy%20614%20HD&utm_campaign=Power%20Wheelchairs%20and%20Scooters% 20%3E%20Power%20Wheelchair%20%3E%20Heavy%20Duty&utm_source=googlepla&mr:trackingCode=3863CAEB-3B14-E011-AD70-001517B188A2&mr:referralID=NA&mr:device=c&mr:adType=pla&mr:ad=46933679844&mr:keyword=&mr:match=&mr:filter=77117080284#.U4uCZPldV8E) and the weight only came up at 300 lbs. What make and model chair do you use?

JT

evansvillenowmilton
06-01-2014, 03:23 PM
Wow, those chairs are heavy. They must carry quite a bit of weight just in batteries...Two at 60# each. I hate not to be able to take my chair,the one that fits me,built for me... To switch is life relearning how to walk. I know how to transfer from this chair and I know it can take me 15 miles. It cost $15,000... Im still thinking.I need to get hauler weight down. Im close... Im thinking a big two wheel dolly. Drive chair on to it. Strap it down to dolly. Tilt back and connect hitch. Now I need dolly to be 100#.

evansvillenowmilton
06-01-2014, 03:25 PM
To be honest with you I've had more that 400 lbs on my trailer hitch when we went to Maggie Valley... my wife brings everything and some twice. An aluminum trailer could be a possibility. What is the foot print of the chair?

I just did a search for a heavy duty chair (http://www.spinlife.com/Pride-Jazzy-614-HD-Heavy-Duty/High-Weight-Capacity-Power-Wheelchair/spec.cfm?productID=84644&adv=googlepla&utm_medium=CSE&utm_term=Jazzy%20614%20HD&utm_campaign=Power%20Wheelchairs%20and%20Scooters% 20%3E%20Power%20Wheelchair%20%3E%20Heavy%20Duty&utm_source=googlepla&mr:trackingCode=3863CAEB-3B14-E011-AD70-001517B188A2&mr:referralID=NA&mr:device=c&mr:adType=pla&mr:ad=46933679844&mr:keyword=&mr:match=&mr:filter=77117080284#.U4uCZPldV8E) and the weight only came up at 300 lbs. What make and model chair do you use?

JTQuantom Q6 Look at my dolly post.. Tell me what you think.

evansvillenowmilton
06-01-2014, 03:29 PM
Quantom Q6 Look at my dolly post.. Tell me what you think. Thank you. What do you think about Spyder pulling 500# max. I have that? My foot print is 36"x24". Quantom Q6. If you look on you tube .You can see why I dont like being away from it and in a chair the 250# guy cant use well..

evansvillenowmilton
06-01-2014, 03:38 PM
This looks like it might work...any idea of where to get it built in the US? http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9JP7Mx7XCv4 Dan if you seen a Spyder,would you settle for this?

Dan_Ashley
06-01-2014, 03:46 PM
Dan if you seen a Spyder,would you settle for this?
Well, no...just trying to help....I guess it's not a good idea.
What about an aluminum trailer?

evansvillenowmilton
06-01-2014, 03:56 PM

JThttp://www.amazon.com/RAMP-KING-Wheelchair-Mobility-Scooter/dp/B00EZ7YSKM/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1401655376&sr=8-9&keywords=heavy+electric+wheelchair+carrier
somthing like this. Add axle and tires,hitch...what ya think.,

jthornton
06-01-2014, 04:06 PM
Quantom Q6 Look at my dolly post.. Tell me what you think.

That's kind of what I was thinking some way to drive it on and off with a ramp or better yet a tilt trailer that is it's own ramp. Aluminum would be the material of choice to keep the weight down. Are there any custom trailer shops near you?

JT

evansvillenowmilton
06-01-2014, 05:33 PM
That's kind of what I was thinking some way to drive it on and off with a ramp or better yet a tilt trailer that is it's own ramp. Aluminum would be the material of choice to keep the weight down. Are there any custom trailer shops near you?

JTYes ..Get the tongue,platform and tires built where the balance of the whole thing. So a small person "Lady" can strap it down and tild the trailer easily. If I knew Spyder would tow 500# the I have that. I just dont want to replace belts or clutches,trans.

evansvillenowmilton
06-01-2014, 05:38 PM
Yes ..Get the tongue,platform and tires built where the balance of the whole thing. So a small person "Lady" can strap it down and tild the trailer easily. If I knew Spyder would tow 500# the I have that. I just dont want to replace belts or clutches,trans. This is only for long trips. Just a day ride and wheelchair will be in the parking lot for me, Covered .I also may even get a 4x5 trailer from TSC STORE to get to DR.or a short trip with my wheelchair... Hey By hook or crook Im ridding againLOLOL I have my mind made up. Im just trying to take my chair..LOL

evansvillenowmilton
06-01-2014, 07:14 PM

JThttps://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQNpcxJ5zoNktOvcdSITHBOqfPW4YB_E lcclNGE0eJieG5LG05M

Dan_Ashley
06-01-2014, 07:21 PM
Here is an idea: Telephone BRP and ask for some guidance. BRP is a pretty good company and may be willing to help out.

evansvillenowmilton
06-01-2014, 07:22 PM
https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQNpcxJ5zoNktOvcdSITHBOqfPW4YB_E lcclNGE0eJieG5LG05M
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.magnetatrailers.com %2Fimages%2F374_umbt1b.jpg&imgrefurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.magnetatrailers.com%2Fm otorcycletowbehindtrailers.html&h=238&w=374&tbnid=JUSJzy_aLlisCM%3A&zoom=1&docid=pmI2XlmOBQnNuM&ei=AMOLU4ifE8q2yATLzYCIBg&tbm=isch&ved=0CA0QMygFMAU4ZA&iact=rc&uact=3&dur=5175&page=8&start=100&ndsp=14

evansvillenowmilton
06-01-2014, 10:35 PM

JThttp://pbmotorcycletrailer.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/harbor-freight-gma-300x288.jpg

Dan_Ashley
06-03-2014, 08:29 PM
http://pbmotorcycletrailer.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/harbor-freight-gma-300x288.jpgDid you really put Grandma on a trailer in her wheelchair behind your motorcycle? Really?