PDA

View Full Version : Factory sidebags for RSS...not too common! Couple questions

StealthSpyder
05-29-2014, 12:43 PM
Hey guys,

Looking at a 2012 RSS and it has can am side bags that the previous owner had installed. Apparently they can easily and quickly be removed when not needed. However, the part that they attach to has to stay. That part can also be completely removed, but is a more involved process from What the dealer explained. Is this correct?

Few questions:

*What's involved with removing the part that the bags attach to and detach from?
*Does that part have a big affect on the looks/lines/curves of the RSS when the bags are detached from it?
*If I were to have the bags and the par they attach to completely removed....would there be any marks or indication left visible on the spyder that it used to be installed? Screw marks, abrasion pressure points, etc

I don't mind having the ability to throw the bags on for long road trips when needed. But I don't want the bike to look like it has a big part sticking out that the bags attach to when the bags are detached. Other than that...they match the paint scheme perfectly and are clearly can am factory matched bags.

Let me know your thoughts!

SS

msj4848
05-29-2014, 01:52 PM
If they are in fact the can am branded racks they are super easy to remove. Quarter turn on three screws each side and the racks come off. Super simple. If they are givi branded racks then not so much. Leaving the racks on isn't that bid of a deal, they kind of blend in to the bike. The only way you can tell the racks were there if you take them off is the turn signals which permanently mount significantly higher up, shouldn't be any scratches or abrasions on the bike unless they were mounted incorrectly.

oldgoat
05-29-2014, 01:54 PM
I recently installed the Givi PLX770 frames you have, on my '08 GS by mistake (dealer sold me a mislabelled box with them in). I then removed them & installed the correct Givi PL999 frames for Givi Monokey boxes.

It should leave no marks on the Spyder as they are attached under the seat & to the passenger footpeg brackets. You will probably have to re-instal your turn signals into the original holes on the upper rear side panels.

Maybe 30 mins to take them off but longer to put them back when you need them

I leave my frames on as I'm not bothered by the looks. They are very visible.

(both of my frames were Givi. Not sure if the Can-Am ones are different)

mxz600
05-29-2014, 02:01 PM
I'll try to answer this quickly. Sorry I don't have good pictures here at work but I'll show you what I've got.

The bags are very easy to remove from the bracket, a simple turn of a key. To answer the question about the mounting bracket being more involved getting it off, well it is. But if they are Cam-am bags made by GIVI and not GIVI bags sold by GIVI it isn't bad at all. You take the special tool and do like a quarter turn on the three mounting studs. It doesn't get any easier than that. Below are three pics of my Spyder.

The yellow arrows in the cropped photo are the three mounting holes for the bracket that holds the bags, the blue arrow shows the turn signal relocation bracket, the red arrow shows the only part of the main bracket that is attached to the Spyder that is visible. The purple arrow is my main gripe about this setup. The hole that was made in the new plastic screen that comes with the kit is way off. I had to elongate the hole and it doesn't look good. To this day I don't think BRP has fixed this error.
89236 89237 89238

StealthSpyder
05-29-2014, 02:30 PM
Great replies guys thanks! Mxz...your pics are very helpful...with your bags removed...the spyder looks fine! Can't tell much at all. With all the attention that the spyder gets...some little things like that will be invisible when the bags are off.

Here is a picture of the bags...not sure if they are givi or can am or what? Any thoughts?

See anything here that is concerning, or does everything look legit?

StealthSpyder
05-29-2014, 02:31 PM
89236 89237 89238

By the way what windshield do you have on your spyder and what year is the spyder?

msj4848
05-29-2014, 02:33 PM
Those are the can am racks, the givi racks mount the turn signal differently, so they are the quick release racks. Totally legit setup!

oldgoat
05-29-2014, 02:35 PM
Great replies guys thanks! Mxz...your pics are very helpful...with your bags removed...the spyder looks fine! Can't tell much at all. With all the attention that the spyder gets...some little things like that will be invisible when the bags are off.

Here is a picture of the bags...not sure if they are givi or can am or what? Any thoughts?

From your pic the frames don't seem to be Givi. The bags I don't know about. I do know that Givi Monokey V35 bags fit onto a Can-Am OEM frame.

mxz600
05-29-2014, 03:07 PM
By the way what windshield do you have on your spyder and what year is the spyder?

The Spyder is an '08 with the stock windshield. I painted the backside of it with red. Did not like the look of all the red when I was riding the Spyder so I gave it a coat of crinkle black over the red and bingo, perfection. I actually got into a disagreement about the windshield with a guy at work. To this day I still don't think he believes I painted it, it looks that good.

I think I just dislocated my shoulder patting myself on the back.

89242 89243

Forgot to add, the bags in your pictures are the Can-am bags made by GIVI (they're the easy ones to remove). That is a better setup than the GIVI bags by GIVI.

msj4848
05-29-2014, 03:11 PM
What's all over your radiator mxz600?

mxz600
05-29-2014, 03:15 PM
What's all over your radiator mxz600?
That's black gold, Texas tea.

It's frickin' oil from my air box, nice mess huh? That was a long time ago and it's all cleaned up now, never to happen again.

billybovine
05-29-2014, 03:21 PM

That is the Can am mounting system so the bags are then likely the Can am/Givi bags. They come together as a kit and can not be bought separately. I have the same system factory installed on my 2013 ST. The mounting frames both come off in under a minute with a special tool. I only take them off for service or sometimes to wash it.