PDA

View Full Version : Another Tire Thread

SpyderAnn01
05-28-2014, 11:57 PM
Replaced my rear tire today with an Arachnid at 9,600 miles.. I'll have a few thousand on it after next week so I'll give you a report then.

Chupaca
05-29-2014, 12:05 AM
tires on the 14's are going really fast. :popcorn::popcorn:Ing to see how the Arachnid works out.. Have 19,000 miles but got a killer deal on another oem tire hope it does as well. be safe..hope the Arachnid gives you double the mileage.:ohyea::ohyea:

NZSpyderRyder
05-29-2014, 12:11 AM
Your original was well past it's sell by date, wear in the middle like that normally points to over inflation.

SpyderAnn01
05-29-2014, 12:17 AM
Your original was well past it's sell by date, wear in the middle like that normally points to over inflation.

No, it wasn't over inflated at all. This is what they are all doing, I was actually lucky that I got as many miles as I did. Several others have had to replace theirs at 4,000 to 6,000 miles.

NZSpyderRyder
05-29-2014, 12:21 AM
Sorry I didn't mean to offend you, it was just a technical observation, I have worked in the automobile and tyre industry for over 30 years and was just making a technical observation one my experiences of over inflated tyres.
Must admit I'm new to the world of seders and I'm realising that they are a completely different beast.

garb55
05-29-2014, 12:47 AM
Replaced my rear tire today with an Arachnid at 9,600 miles.. I'll have a few thousand on it after next week so I'll give you a report then.

does the Arachnid tire say how many plies it has in the sidewall or tread?
Still haven't seen any specs on this tire
Thanks
Don

Chupaca
05-29-2014, 12:48 AM
there is a premature wear on these tires due to the added horse power and low end torque. Most of the ryders coming off the twins are used to the high rpms and pulling away quickly. I think till you get used to the new engine there is a lot of wheel spinning and not the sceeching burn out kind. Just enough to chew up these tires. Don't know if the other brands will fare much better...:dontknow:

mastertek2000
05-29-2014, 05:25 AM
that use to happen with my 2 wheeler but it was because we towed a trailer all the time i use to get about 10000 miles out of them

Silvervette05
05-29-2014, 05:27 AM
Sorry I didn't mean to offend you, it was just a technical observation, I have worked in the automobile and tyre industry for over 30 years and was just making a technical observation one my experiences of over inflated tyres.
Must admit I'm new to the world of seders and I'm realising that they are a completely different beast.
I, m with you, I was in the tire business I saw that wear and thought to much air, it turns out that is not the
Case, It is the nature of the beast

Bob Denman
05-29-2014, 06:44 AM
It's completely counter-intuitive... :shocked:
That's normally what over-inflation would look like...
So you reduce your pressures a bit.

These two-ply tires then balloon even MORE at speed.........

.....wearing the center section out even faster! :banghead:

MikeT
05-29-2014, 07:25 AM
As an "outsider looking in", that is considering going to a '14 RT-S, this "premature" rear tire wear on the 1330s is very disconcerting. I'm thinking that a rear tire failure on an RT is just as bad as it is on a motorcycle. The only thing similar in my 3-wheel experience is how the stock GL1800 front tire doesn't hold up after triking due to the forces put on the front tire. That's why most GL1800 trikes go to a BT-45, a Michelin Pilot Activ, or similar tire on their trikes and run them @40 PSI. I've also ridden EFI H-D Road King, UltraClassic and CVO Road Glide. These bikes have lots of grunt. The Dunlop specific rear tires for these would last 12,000 miles with proper inflation.
I know absolutely nothing about the OEM tires that a RT comes with; but I've got to wonder about the construction (# of plus and compound) of the rear tire. Did BRP just carry over the same rear tire that was on the '13s, and older Spyders? The other issue is the factory recommended tire inflation pressures. Were they just expedient carry overs from the V-Twin? Got to wonder if the previous model tires are not appropriate for the operational parameters of the new motor???
Did I read some place else on this forum that this issue has finally got BRP's attention, or is this "wishful thinking" that got expressed in writing????????
Mike

Bob Denman
05-29-2014, 07:33 AM
The OEM Kendas are a two-ply tire... :gaah:
They have increased the suggested tire pressures a bit.
I wouldn't really call the tire wear "premature" :shocked:
After all; how many of us have had to change tires on two-wheeled bikes at 4,000 miles or less in the past? :dontknow:
It's probably just the extra weight and torque combination...
Ann got well over 9,000 miles out of hers; so it may also be how the bikes are being ridden...

SPYD3R
05-29-2014, 07:39 AM

something is WAY WRONG with the 'wear' on that tire.. looks to me as if your axle isn't centered properly... you may want to ask your service manager to check that out...

SpyderAnn01
05-29-2014, 07:55 AM
They have increased the suggested tire pressures a bit.
I wouldn't really call the tire wear "premature" :shocked:
After all; how many of us have had to change tires on two-wheeled bikes at 4,000 miles or less in the past? :dontknow:
It's probably just the extra weight and torque combination...
Ann got well over 9,000 miles out of hers; so it may also be how the bikes are being ridden...

Bob, are you calling me fat? :roflblack:

Bob Denman
05-29-2014, 07:55 AM
:shocked: Or since a lot of that center wear is from the tire ballooning; could it just be how it was blowing itself out at speed? :dontknow:
Everyone keeps saying that the Kendas are a pile of pig:cus:... http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_3_152.gif
Maybe they do this because of how unevenly they're built. :shocked:

Since Ann and Joe are Wizards at alignments; I wouldn't bet that anything is wrong with the bike itself... nojoke

SpyderAnn01
05-29-2014, 07:56 AM
Thanks
Don

I'll pull out my reading glasses and see what I can see.

Bob Denman
05-29-2014, 08:23 AM
Ann,
I hate to have to ask this... :opps:
Since even the actual name of the tire gives me... trouble :shocked:... there aren't any graphics of those eight-legged monsters on that tire; are there?
If you "Google-up" arachniphobia; there's a picture of me crying like a little girl...

Bob Denman
05-29-2014, 09:29 AM
Bob, are you calling me fat? :roflblack:
:shocked: Oh; heck no! :D :2thumbs:
That would probably be the LAST adjective I'd use to describe you.

cuznjohn
05-29-2014, 11:53 AM
can someone enplane to me why spyders eat tires so fast. is it poor craftsmanship on the tire mfg. if so why doesn't BRP drop them, or is it that the bikes ride different than others. i had metzlers on my 08 wing and they lasted 13 thousand miles, i really don't understand tires and if we can buy a tire that gets better millage, than why will some dealers only instal the tires that came with the bike.

Guzzi
05-29-2014, 12:08 PM
Replaced my rear tire today with an Arachnid at 9,600 miles.. I'll have a few thouasand on it after next week so I'll give you a report then.
Have 2500 miles on the new Arachnid rear tire on my 2014. Rides nice and handles great. No issues yet, and am not to worried about tire wear. Never got much over 8000 miles on the rear tires on my Goldwings, and good tires are the only thing between my A!! And the pavement, so I consider good tires cheap insurance.
:p:p

Bob Denman
05-29-2014, 12:31 PM
can someone enplane to me why spyders eat tires so fast. is it poor craftsmanship on the tire mfg. if so why doesn't BRP drop them, or is it that the bikes ride different than others. i had metzlers on my 08 wing and they lasted 13 thousand miles, i really don't understand tires and if we can buy a tire that gets better millage, than why will some dealers only instal the tires that came with the bike.
John,
These are GOOD questions...
As far as answers... :dontknow:

BRP probably had a decent amount of inquiries go out to find a Company that could provide tires for the Spyder.
Since it's mtorcycle tires that only fit ONE brand of bike; they probably either didn't get a lot of proposals, or they simply took the lowest bidder.
Hopefully; we'll start to see some more options as these bikes become more "mainstream". :2thumbs:

SpyderAnn01
05-29-2014, 03:35 PM
I don't know if there is something different with the tire on the 2014 or if it is the Spyder. I got 13,000 miles on my original tire on my 2013 and over 15,000 on the 2010.

ARtraveler
05-29-2014, 04:11 PM
I don't know if there is something different with the tire on the 2014 or if it is the Spyder. I got 13,000 miles on my original tire on my 2013 and over 15,000 on the 2010.

RE: tire longevity. I have consistently got 13K to 15K miles out of the rear tires on all pre 2014 Spyders owned. Front tires have been a consistent 20K to 23K.

I am having to replace the front tires on the 2011 RT at 12,000 miles do to the fact that right one is wearing unevenly on the inside edge. No laser alignment available here and I am kind of getting the run around from the dealer in how do I fix the front end so this does not happen on the new set.

Time will tell what I find on the 2014. Will have 2K miles on by the end of the week. Have mentioned this before, but as a high mileage rider, I surely don't want to replace three rear tires a season. (at $250 or so per episode).

Time to start complaining to BRP--IMO of course. Once again--a $30K machine that goes through tires like snacks? There has to be a better quality and longevity option available.

mcatell69
05-29-2014, 06:52 PM
When I saw the picture I too thought too much air. But I believe that because this is a motorcycle tire and is softer, as you ride faster the tire expands in the middle causing it to wear the way it is. The 2014's are heavier and the tires aren't lasting as long. Thoughts?

Bob Denman
05-30-2014, 06:50 AM
My thought; the Automotive rear tire option is looking more attractive! :thumbup:

SpyRyd
05-30-2014, 07:22 AM
My thought; the Automotive rear tire option is looking more attractive! :thumbup:

:agree: Got a Khumo Ecsta AST on order to be delivered to my dealer. Dealer will install for $85.00. If I get 15-20,000 miles on the Khumo I'll be a happy camper...or is that being a little too optimistic?

MikeT
05-30-2014, 09:04 AM

As I suspected, the 2-ply construction of the OEM Kenda tires is inferior. If they have a UTOG rating, it is probably not rated well for Treadware and/or Temperature. No way would I put my life, or my passanger's life, on the line riding on 2-ply rated tires.
Mike

Bob Denman
05-30-2014, 09:12 AM
Mike, they're not dangerous :shocked:; they're just not as good as some other options... :thumbup:

MikeT
05-30-2014, 09:53 AM
Mike, they're not dangerous :shocked:; they're just not as good as some other options... :thumbup:
I would think that for the $$$$$$ a 1330 powered Spyder commands, BRP would put 4-ply tires under their RT line. My Touring H-D Dunlops were 4-ply. My Bridestone BT-45 on the front , and the Michelins on the rear of my GL1800 Hannigan are too. Time for BRP to step up to the plate.
Mike

Magdave
05-30-2014, 10:10 AM
Thanks
Don

I saw and Talked with Mike about the Arachnid. It IS 2 ply but has a harder rubber tread area and stiffer sidewall than Oem FYI. PM him for more info.

Ronbo
06-07-2014, 08:17 PM

Ann,
i'm really interested to see what you find out, as this is a very interesting tire to me. My only experience is from selecting tires for previous Corvettes. The on-going problem was always choosing the softness of the compound of the tire for grip/performance vs how often you have to replace them. I personally don't mind sacrificing mileage for increased performance up to a point. Back in the day Michelin tires seemed to be a good solution. My current rear tire on my 2014 RT needs replacing,but has provided wonderful handling! Thanks for keeping us posted.

Ron

r1100rider
06-08-2014, 01:37 AM
Ann,
i'm really interested to see what you find out, as this is a very interesting tire to me. My only experience is from selecting tires for previous Corvettes. The on-going problem was always choosing the softness of the compound of the tire for grip/performance vs how often you have to replace them. I personally don't mind sacrificing mileage for increased performance up to a point. Back in the day Michelin tires seemed to be a good solution. My current rear tire on my 2014 RT needs replacing,but has provided wonderful handling! Thanks for keeping us posted.

Ron
Spyders are going to wear rear tires there is no weight on the rear and a lot of power even more so with the 1330 a Spyder won't back up anything with even the slightest incline there just isn't any traction on the rear ,'the Michelin hydro edge that I put on are doing very well but still won't come close to what they would have done on an economy car with some weight on them for traction

MikeT
06-08-2014, 09:30 AM
Spyders are going to wear rear tires there is no weight on the rear and a lot of power even more so with the 1330 a Spyder won't back up anything with even the slightest incline there just isn't any traction on the rear

Are you saying that if you ride 2-up 98% of the time, you'll get better wear out of the rear tire????? From what I've read here, the problem with the OEM Kenda is that the sidewall is "weak" and causes the tire to balloon at highway speeds. This results in the tire wearing out in the center, even though it is not ver inflated.
Mike
I'm currently running the Corvette specific Michelin run flats on my '02 C5 Z-51.

KX5062
06-08-2014, 12:07 PM

I think the key to the explanation is in the sizing of the tires. Meaning, they are a weird and hard to find size. If you stick to the stock size on either tire, then you're basically left going to the dealer for their almost proprietary tire sizes. They really don't want you riding your bike into brand X tire store and buying an off-the-shelf tire. What they do want is for you to stay with their dealership network for all of your motoring needs. :p

It's just like why Kenda? They are a low end Chinese company that is famous for making barely marginal tires. Answer: profit.

Why a 2 ply tire that says it's for motorcycles, when in reality it is a car tire? Bear in mind, if they catagorize it as a motorcycle tire, then the specs are not published, if it's designated as a automotive tire, then they must publicly publish the specifications. Again, the answer is profit.

No don't get me wrong. I'm a total believer in capitalism, but there's limits, and IMO, BRP is at times at the limits of tolerability. :lecturef_smilie:

vtrider
06-08-2014, 06:43 PM
:agree: Got a Khumo Ecsta AST on order to be delivered to my dealer. Dealer will install for $85.00. If I get 15-20,000 miles on the Khumo I'll be a happy camper...or is that being a little too optimistic? Where did you order your Khumo Ecsta AST tires from? I like the Khumo tire. I used these on my 2008 GS. I have ordered them before from Tire Rack, but when searching for the 225-50-15 tire size they didn't have the Khumo Ecsta listed.

tigerdr
06-08-2014, 07:20 PM
Where did you order your Khumo Ecsta AST tires from? I like the Khumo tire. I used these on my 2008 GS. I have ordered them before from Tire Rack, but when searching for the 225-50-15 tire size they didn't have the Khumo Ecsta listed.

Look at this link--> http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/searchTiresBySize.do?cs=225&ar=50&rd=15

Spyderal11
06-08-2014, 07:27 PM
I just received one of the kuhmo's from discounttiredirect took just a few days good price.

KX5062
06-08-2014, 07:35 PM
Look at this link--> http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/searchTiresBySize.do?cs=225&ar=50&rd=15

Says back ordered. :sour:

vtrider
06-10-2014, 02:38 PM
Says back ordered. :sour:
I ordered my Khumo AST tire this morning from Discount Tire. They called me and I was told that I should have it in about 3 to 4 days.

mob133
06-15-2014, 08:26 PM
when at the factory tour this question came up BRP response was they are aware of the tire issue on 2014 rt, apparently kenda is using a softer compound and yes they are re-evaluating there tire supplier options

jrogers712
07-09-2014, 02:40 PM
I have been watching my 2014 rear tire and have tried to lessen the wear. I have had tires do the same on other bikes. If you just ride locally the tire will wear well ( no high heat ) but that's not what we bought them for. The rear tire on long hauls heats unbelively, thus the build up heat causes the tire to expand allowing the center of the tire to over inflate. I changed to nitrogen in the rear tire which does not heat the tire to over inflation. I then use the chalk method to check my inflation for long haul tire press. locally I run 25 PSI. 10,000 and still looking goog. Just back to FL from CO. I cannot say it will wyork for you, does well for me. It also changes if you add weight and a passinger. So more try and error.

Jim

Magdave
07-09-2014, 04:38 PM
I have been watching my 2014 rear tire and have tried to lessen the wear. I have had tires do the same on other bikes. If you just ride locally the tire will wear well ( no high heat ) but that's not what we bought them for. The rear tire on long hauls heats unbelively, thus the build up heat causes the tire to expand allowing the center of the tire to over inflate. I changed to nitrogen in the rear tire which does not heat the tire to over inflation. I then use the chalk method to check my inflation for long haul tire press. locally I run 25 PSI. 10,000 and still looking goog. Just back to FL from CO. I cannot say it will wyork for you, does well for me. It also changes if you add weight and a passinger. So more try and error.

Jim

Just another benefit of using nitrogen that was pooh poohed in a thread I participated in earlier. A heated tire pressure rises much more with air than nitrogen in it which is one of the reasons race cars use it. :thumbup:

MikeT
07-09-2014, 11:09 PM
Nitrogen is great in tires in general. The issue is you can only get it @select tire stores. Another way to say it is there is no nitrogen supply infrastructure.

Hawk
07-10-2014, 12:36 PM
At the owner's event I had to have my tire changed, I showed it to the BRP tech people which referred me to the local shop (they were not changing them at the tech booth) to get it changed. But they guy said they were aware of the 14s going through them quick and were looking at a harder compound. But no time line.

Bob Denman
07-10-2014, 02:10 PM
Nitrogen is great in tires in general. The issue is you can only get it @select tire stores. Another way to say it is there is no nitrogen supply infrastructure.
I use the cheaper version of nitrogen; the one that's polluted with oxygen... :shocked:

SpyRyd
07-10-2014, 02:20 PM
Where did you order your Khumo Ecsta AST tires from? I like the Khumo tire. I used these on my 2008 GS. I have ordered them before from Tire Rack, but when searching for the 225-50-15 (tel:225-50-15) tire size they didn't have the Khumo Ecsta listed.

Sorry for the late reply...ordered it from Discount Tire Direct.

Dan McNally
07-10-2014, 02:22 PM

What can you tell us about the Arachnid tire? Was it worth the price? Would you do it again?:dontknow:

gypsy_100
07-10-2014, 03:27 PM
What can you tell us about the Arachnid tire? Was it worth the price? Would you do it again?:dontknow:

Since you're riding an RT, you might want to take a look at the info I posted on this other thread regarding RT load specs and Arachnid load ratings. From Post #58 on to the end of the thread. It's for your info; do with it what you will.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?68304-ARACHNID-RATINGS-ARE-HERE-!!!&p=829899#post829899

spydajohn
07-10-2014, 07:53 PM
I think that the kenda tyre is not to the standard it should be I only got 7,000k out of my rear tyre and at $208.00 not fitted seemed a little hexy .like you guys in the US we are trying different brands of car tyres because no other brands exist in Australia .i have Mitchelins on the front of my 2010 RT Manuel grip and tyre wear are great so far 34,000k and started with 7.5m tread and now have 6.5 ,tried to get a Mitchelin for the rear but none in that size in aus so I have put a nang kang on the rear just for trial and so far 15,000k started with 8m tread and now have 6 so good so far ,comfort is the same and grip is better especially in the wet and towing the trailer. I so far have twice the mileage and better grip out of a tyre that only cost $85.00 so this makes the kenda look so over priced for what it is .here is a fact that is hard to ignore a spider 2010 is 420kg my wife and I combined 150kg luggage 40kg is about 610kg divide that by three and you get 203kg and when you corner hard like most of us like to do you can over double your weight on one front tyre so then why are the front tyres only rated for max load of 175kg???? .the tyres on the newer models with the lower profile are rated at 260kg I think witch is a little better but?

Dan McNally
07-10-2014, 09:20 PM
Since you're riding an RT, you might want to take a look at the info I posted on this other thread regarding RT load specs and Arachnid load ratings. From Post #58 on to the end of the thread. It's for your info; do with it what you will.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?68304-ARACHNID-RATINGS-ARE-HERE-!!!&p=829899#post829899

I guess that answers the question . . . thanks! :thumbup: