PDA

View Full Version : Police Spyder

SllimG
05-28-2014, 01:16 PM
Not the first police spyder, but probably the best looking one.

Bob Denman
05-28-2014, 01:22 PM
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_1_55.gif Very nice indeed! :2thumbs:
Here's to hoping that none of us ever get caught doing anything wrong around one of them! :cheers: :thumbup:

RBS66
05-28-2014, 01:22 PM
NICE

ARCTIC
05-28-2014, 01:24 PM
How would a police spyder be beneficial? Gets about the same mileage as a car. Slower top speed than a car. Higher maintenance costs than a car. Lower life expectancy of the vehicle. Exposes the office to higher chance of injury. Inability to transport criminals. Zero off road capabilities. But it's mildly more maneuverable.

PrairieSpyder
05-28-2014, 01:28 PM
'14 RTSs!! I wonder what they carry in the frunk?

ARtraveler
05-28-2014, 01:30 PM
Nice. I hope the department likes them.

Anyone know if the program for the police :spyder2:'s continued in MO?

Craniac
05-28-2014, 01:41 PM
Perhaps he can give his first ticket to the Spyder parked in the four lane road.

SllimG
05-28-2014, 01:53 PM
How would a police spyder be beneficial? Gets about the same mileage as a car. Slower top speed than a car. Higher maintenance costs than a car. Lower life expectancy of the vehicle. Exposes the office to higher chance of injury. Inability to transport criminals. Zero off road capabilities. But it's mildly more maneuverable.Well, I didn't intend for this thread to be about the benefits of a police spyder, but here are a few of the benefits. More maneuverable - Makes it much easier to make a U-turn on a violator. Deterrence - The uniqueness of the vehicle leaves an impression. People will remember seeing this vehicle running radar on the side of the roadway more so than a traditional police car. Similar to a mobile radar trailer that displays the speed of each vehicle passing by. These are effective at increasing speed compliance rates along a stretch of road for short period of time, even after it is no longer there. It isn't just about writing tickets. The overall goal is to gain a higher rate of compliance.Community oriented policing - Citizens are intrigued by the vehicle. Everywhere the officer goes, people come up and want to take pictures and ask questions. If you own a spyder, you know what I'm talking about. This is an excellent opportunity for the officer to promote traffic safety. The officer can hand out "click it or ticket" or "share the road" pamphlets, bumper stickers, or just talk to people about traffic safety in general. It is a great opportunity the officer would not otherwise have if driving a traditional police car.

StanProff
05-28-2014, 01:55 PM
How would a police spyder be beneficial? Gets about the same mileage as a car. Slower top speed than a car. Higher maintenance costs than a car. Lower life expectancy of the vehicle. Exposes the office to higher chance of injury. Inability to transport criminals. Zero off road capabilities. But it's mildly more maneuverable.

Gas mileage? I would say better than a police crusier.
Top speed? 100 to 105 is probally enough around town and it gets there pretty quick. Plus it only needs to get close enough to read the tag number.
Lower life expectancy? give you that one. But you could buy maybe 2 spyders for the cost of one police cruiser. After all they get good deals on cars so they should get the same on a spyder.
Officer injury? I would rate it much better than a police motorcycle.
Transport? that is what back-up is for.
Off road? who cares. That's what four wheel drive and helicopters are for.

Attention from the general public? Its a great PR platform.
And you know the policeman riding it is going to be grinning from ear to ear. A happy cop is a good cop.:clap:

Chupaca
05-28-2014, 02:01 PM
you posted this for the looks so I will comment on that. It is one sharp police vehicle..do have to side with it has more advantages than short comings...:thumbup:

ARCTIC
05-28-2014, 02:16 PM
Well, I didn't intend for this thread to be about the benefits of a police spyder,

OK. Nice spyder

Bob Denman
05-28-2014, 02:27 PM
If we're talking about cool-looking Law Enforcement Vehicles...
This one should help them recruit new trainees... :D :thumbup:

bruiser
05-28-2014, 03:07 PM
Ok, how about this one.

89171 Wake County Sheriffs Dept. 2009 Z06.

I do like the SpyderCop though.

sddinnh
05-28-2014, 03:19 PM
Boy, either those departments take in a lot of drug money or they have really understanding voters :yikes:

bruiser
05-28-2014, 03:21 PM
The Z06 was a confiscated drug car.

If you don't want to use a Spyder for LE, try this.

89173 I would laugh at them in this.

Dan_Ashley
05-28-2014, 03:22 PM
Other benefits not yet listed:
1) The officer can see a lot more. More street activity, more traffic activity--a lot more. Cars provide a lot less ability to see what is going on than motorcycles.
2) Cost of purchase is about 1/3 that of a police car. Police cars are running between 50K and 60K now.
3) Much safer than a motorcycle
4) More maneuverable than a car

When I was a probationary officer back in 1973 in downtown (central city) Los Angeles, I had the opportunity to ride a trike for about 3 months. It was fun. But importantly, we were able to use the increased ability to see to accomplish two goals: 1) we were able to see from a distance the comings and goings of the Chinese Communist Party, and we managed to shut down that operation, and 2) we were able to observe easily the actions of the Bloods gang near the movie theaters on State Street. We were able to decrease part I crimes by about 9 1/2%.

So, don't think that the only issue is transportation. If it were, then feet and city busses would suffice. There is more to it than just moving around from place to place.

Ramjet
05-28-2014, 03:57 PM
Darn near the same maneuverability of a cycle without the worry of hazards such as gravel etc..

Easy to hide when running RADAR or LASER.

Just pretty darn cool (unless its 2013 RT) if you ask me.

If were Law Enforcment I would rather have Spyder than lets say a............. MINI VAN.....................;)

Tough to do a PIT maneuver with it though...............:clap:

Plus lets face it, this like many cruisers may not be "stock" .........:thumbup:

Bob Denman
05-28-2014, 05:01 PM
Boy, either those departments take in a lot of drug money or they have really understanding voters :yikes:
If it's the voters; it almost makes you want to sign up... 89183

spydaman60
05-28-2014, 05:06 PM
Perhaps he can give his first ticket to the Spyder parked in the four lane road.that's what I was thinking! pretty dumb place to park a spyder and take a picture!!:roflblack::roflblack:

Silvervette05
05-28-2014, 06:34 PM
I like it :thumbup:

sundancer240
05-28-2014, 07:06 PM
Betcha no one sits on this one without asking.....

Dan_Ashley
05-28-2014, 07:28 PM
Another benefit: the officer doesn't need a motorcycle endorsement in California!

Tango
05-28-2014, 08:25 PM
Looks good to me. :thumbup: Tom :trike:

OJ UK
05-29-2014, 08:21 AM
I'll bet the guys in that department are lining up to get out on that!!
Here's another one from Prague!!
Click on the pic!!