PDA

View Full Version : Laser Alignment Today

RUOUTHERE
05-27-2014, 07:22 PM
Had a laser alignment done today on my '14 RTL, they told me the alignment needed significant correction. I was able to watch the process (the new version) fascinating, two guys approx. 1.5 hours.

I can honestly say I didn't see a lot of improvement in the overall handling on the ride home. That said, I have peace of mind the tires are properly aligned.

Kevin

NZSpyderRyder
05-27-2014, 07:41 PM
Shouldn't we be asking "why doesn't it leave the factory correctly set ?"
Surely that's not to much to ask for.

Chupaca
05-28-2014, 01:36 AM
do..interestingly all vehicles are out to some degree. So saying you needed it is quite easy. They can all be fiddled with and change the degree they are out one way or the other. To notice a change in handling you have to be way out. Not to say don't have it done by any means, your tire wear may very well be better even if you don't feel a difference. Hopefully they aligned the rear wheel first for they can be off and lasers align to the rear wheel..just an observation...:spyder:

Bob Denman
05-28-2014, 07:27 AM
I'm in the midst of scheduling an appointment for mine... :2thumbs:
It'll be interesting to see what they find! :D

SpyderAnn01
05-28-2014, 07:51 AM
I'm in the midst of scheduling an appointment for mine... :2thumbs:
It'll be interesting to see what they find! :D

My guess is that one wheel will be close and the other will be out by 1/2" or more. That is what we have seen on most of the 2014s that we have aligned.

Willo
05-28-2014, 09:48 AM
Two months ago I had my wife's RT and my ST aligned (both 2013 models). This process changed both bikes from a handling problem to a pleasure to ride. It was worth the ride in a hard rainstorm to get the work done. My next door neighbor also had his 2013 RT done with the same results. I also wonder why they are not aligned properly from the factory. If you are on the fence about having your Spyder aligned jump off and get it done.

rtotten
05-28-2014, 10:04 AM
My wife and I had both our Spyders done by the experts (Joe and Ann). Besides meeting some just great people! Can't beat having them come practically to your door to do an alignment for you. What an amazing difference in the before and after! My 2013 SE5 was had a little more than 1K miles, was off by over half an inch.My wifes 2010 SE5 was about the same. They spent 45 minutes to an hour on each bike, took the time time to explain what what they were doing and why! MY Wife and I highly endorse Squared Away Alignment. Money well spent!

FLAspydergirl
05-28-2014, 12:44 PM
Had a laser alignment done today on my '14 RTL, they told me the alignment needed significant correction. I was able to watch the process (the new version) fascinating, two guys approx. 1.5 hours.

I can honestly say I didn't see a lot of improvement in the overall handling on the ride home. That said, I have peace of mind the tires are properly aligned.

Kevin

Just curious...who did your align? A BRP dealer ?

Bob Denman
05-28-2014, 01:09 PM
My guess is that one wheel will be close and the other will be out by 1/2" or more. That is what we have seen on most of the 2014s that we have aligned.

I'll hold you to that, and let you know what we find! :D :thumbup:

RUOUTHERE
05-28-2014, 08:23 PM
Just curious...who did your align? A BRP dealer ?

Yes a BRP dealer in Concord, NH - Freedom Cycle

RUOUTHERE
05-28-2014, 08:29 PM
What's the new version????????????? Why 1.5 hours? Outlaw system is about 45 minutes.

Not clear the details of the new version but the service guys said it took a little longer because it was their first using the new method and needed time to read the instructions. They told me they've done 6 or 7 using the previous method.

We're off to PA tomorrow reaching our destination of Pickens, SC Saturday afternoon, I'll update this thread with my impressions of the alignment then. All highway to SC then 6 days of back roads before moving to VA for another week of back roads with a day or two riding some of the best twisties in West Virginia.

Stay tuned.

Bob Denman
05-29-2014, 06:41 AM
Good Luck! Here's to hoping for a noticeable improvement in your bike's handling! :cheers:

(Mine goes "under the knife" on Saturday morning!)

RUOUTHERE
06-04-2014, 09:04 PM
Did all highway to SC, the alignment did make a difference, no more lane wandering. After riding some good roads in SC, NC & GA so far, it's obvious I need a stiffer sway bar. Too much body lean coming into corners regardless of front tire pressure. Ran 27 and 22, more lean at 22 as you'd expect. Even getting some rear tire sliding if I push too hard.