PDA

View Full Version : 1330 Triple in other models?

smokedtires
05-27-2014, 06:17 PM
Has anyone heard if Can Am plans to offer the 1330 Triple in other models for the 2015 models? The RT is an awesome machine but to big for me. I will be considering either an RSS or ST next year, but would really like the triple with the 6 speed. I really like how Can Am has listened to its customers and is continuing to improve the Spyder as time moves forward.

TIA,

Smokedtires

ARtraveler
05-27-2014, 06:29 PM
Time will tell. The subject has been under much speculation. :bbq::bbq::bbq:

I am guessing it may show up in some other models for 2015.

bmccaffrey
05-27-2014, 06:31 PM
I think you will see it. They have to forge ahead. Bigger motor more money. Isn't that what it's all about
the almighty dollar:cheers:

tommyoneleg
05-27-2014, 06:34 PM
to be honest I would love to see a redesign of the RS into more of a sport model. Would love to see an engine that was more on the super bike side and I don't want them to touch the other models. It would be nice to have a total sport model to go along with the touring models.

BikerDoc
05-27-2014, 06:46 PM
Has anyone heard if Can Am plans to offer the 1330 Triple in other models for the 2015 models? The RT is an awesome machine but to big for me. I will be considering either an RSS or ST next year, but would really like the triple with the 6 speed. I really like how Can Am has listened to its customers and is continuing to improve the Spyder as time moves forward.

TIA,

Smokedtires
The frame for the ST is the same as the RT so the 1330 would fit, but I will bet you it will not show up there until 2016. There is no way to fit it in the RSS without total Bike redesign - not enough time for that by 2015.

My guess is that what the surprise will be in 2015 is an RSS Jr with a smaller engine and lower body weight to drop the starter price for the product line...

NZSpyderRyder
05-27-2014, 07:05 PM
The ST doesn't need it, it's cool enough as it is. That's cool as in looks, it's certainly not cool in the heat output, it's red hot in that department.
It would look ugly too, leave it in the RT where it belongs and make the RS a much more sportier model by tuning and exhaust mods.

smokedtires
05-27-2014, 08:35 PM
I sure hope it shows up in the 2015s, don't know if I can wait another year! I almost bought an RSS SM last week but the guy sold it before I could get there, it was a perfect bike for me. Told my wife this was a sign to wait until next year. I've been searching the web on the 1330 but haven't found anything, so I figured you guys would be my best bet :)

DrewNJ
05-27-2014, 09:06 PM
The frame for the ST is the same as the RT so the 1330 would fit, but I will bet you it will not show up there until 2016. There is no way to fit it in the RSS without total Bike redesign - not enough time for that by 2015.

You do realize the frame is the same in the RT, ST, and RS. Also all the lower plastics of the ST and RS are the same?

The 1330 motor would fit just as easily in the RS as it would the ST. However, I really hope BRP does not go that route with the RS.
The RS really needs a high reving, higher hp, more of a super sport motor. 1330 sounds great and looks great on paper. However, A low rev tractor motor like the 1330 is NOT an upgrade in performance for the RS.
Now, pull the V4 out of the Aprilia rsv4 or maybe a 1300-1500 inline 4 each at 175+hp that will spin up to 12k rpm's, ....now that's an upgrade!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

joet82
05-27-2014, 09:15 PM

My guess is that what the surprise will be in 2015 is an RSS Jr with a smaller engine and lower body weight to drop the starter price for the product line...

They aren't exactly starting R&D right now....it took them 2+ years to R&D the 1330...why wouldn't they have had a brain or 2 on how to fit it in the RS at the same time?

spydaman60
05-27-2014, 09:31 PM
You do realize the frame is the same in the RT, ST, and RS. Also all the lower plastics of the ST and RS are the same?

The 1330 motor would fit just as easily in the RS as it would the ST. However, I really hope BRP does not go that route with the RS.
The RS really needs a high reving, higher hp, more of a super sport motor. 1330 sounds great and looks great on paper. However, A low rev tractor motor like the 1330 is NOT an upgrade in performance for the RS.
Now, pull the V4 out of the Aprilia rsv4 or maybe a 1300-1500 inline 4 each at 175+hp that will spin up to 12k rpm's, ....now that's an upgrade!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalksounds like a plan drew. why don't you move to Canada and get a job at brp?? sign me up for one of the first ones off the line!!!:cheers:

bobbobtar
05-27-2014, 09:53 PM
BRP also has a 900 ACE three cylinder that they run in a snowmobile, would make a great motor for the RS.

Chupaca
05-27-2014, 10:06 PM
to the RT ryders. That is the money maker for them so they build them a new bike. If they do put the same setup in another model it will be the ST. This is that middle of the road model but attractive to the almost RT folks.. I would not like it in the RS/RSS granted this is my opinion and I did mention it to them..a bigger twin would be nicer platform...:ohyea::ohyea:

NZSpyderRyder
05-27-2014, 10:10 PM
Surely if they put the 1330 into an ST they would have to change all the tuppaware as the 1330 engine is much wider, then it would just look like another RT.
Boring with a fat arse end. ;)

r1100rider
05-28-2014, 02:08 AM

The 1330 could be anything they want it to be different cams ,compression ratios ,intake sizes ,fuel mapping ,head shapes,etc all could make it have zx14 power if they want ever heard of a speed triple ,take away the 200 lbs off the rt and a tractor motor would more impressive ,but does anyone think that the lawyers that wanted a burnt out tail lite to trip the nanny to only give you 40 mph would ever allow a 160 mph spyder?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalkthe 1330 could be anything they want it to be cams,fuel mapping, intake size etc could all be changed to give it ZX 14 power ever heard a speed triple at full throttle with a pipe? A "tractor motor" would still be pretty impressive without the extra 200 lbs of an RT to pull around but do you think the lawyers that made a burnt out tail lite trip nanny to only give you 40mph would every a permit the marketing of a 165mph spyder?

rnet
05-28-2014, 04:04 AM
Don't think there are to many RS riders that would want that motor in it in it's currant format.

Bob Denman
05-28-2014, 06:53 AM
The plumbing wouldn't fit anyway...
Remember the twin radiators, and their new location? :shocked:
The RS is probably the series that's in the crosshairs for the upcoming year...
What do you want to see? :dontknow:
If it was me; I'd like to see the ACE 600 engine brought into the base chassis, with a bit of downsizing and simplifying. This would create a more affordable entry-level bike.
The RS-S? The sky's the limit! :2thumbs:
How about the fully-articulated chassis that we've heard about? AND an injection of horsepower? :D

NetJunkie
05-28-2014, 07:09 AM
I'm holding off putting money in to my 2013 RS-S on the expectation we'll see a revised RS-S for 2015 with more power. Be nice to see a couple leaks so I could decide whether to do some work on this one or know my waiting is justified. :)

Bob Denman
05-28-2014, 07:18 AM
While we DID see pictures of the new RTs last August; that was pretty unusual... :gaah:
My guess is that you'll be waiting until the "Official" announcements.
But I hope that I'm wrong! :D

BikerDoc
05-28-2014, 08:43 AM
While we DID see pictures of the new RTs last August; that was pretty unusual... :gaah:
My guess is that you'll be waiting until the "Official" announcements.
But I hope that I'm wrong! :D
Be sure to check google earth over the factory area each day starting aug 1st to try to catch prototype test Rydes

Bob Denman
05-28-2014, 08:58 AM
:D What a GREAT idea! :2thumbs:

maliamd
05-28-2014, 10:29 AM
This is very good information. We currently have a 2014 RT-S and will be going to the dealer tomorrow to possibly purchase a second bike. I am not in the mood to share anymore!! Will be looking at the 2014 ST-S/L or another 2014 RT-S. The test drive will decide which to go with.

Rob Rodriguez
05-28-2014, 10:40 AM
The 900 ACE motor in the snowmobile is a complete dog. It makes less horsepower than the current motor in the Spyder and has absolutely NO snap what so ever. It would not be a good match for the Spyder. I'm hoping in 2015 the RS, RSS sees a higher horsepower twin as well. I'd say a minimum of 125hp. Something that will snap your head back when you punch it.

Bob Denman
05-28-2014, 11:29 AM
This is very good information. We currently have a 2014 RT-S and will be going to the dealer tomorrow to possibly purchase a second bike. I am not in the mood to share anymore!! Will be looking at the 2014 ST-S/L or another 2014 RT-S. The test drive will decide which to go with.

:D Happy Hunting!! :2thumbs:

joet82
05-28-2014, 12:36 PM
IMHO, why ruin the spyder by making it lean? yes, it brings in new customers who like the leaning factor of a bike, but this platform is how you got your name, and the likeness of an ATV is one thing that attracted me to it. also, it's a SPORT model? why water it down by putting a weaker/less horsepower engine into it?

Bob Denman
05-28-2014, 12:49 PM
If you're referring specifically to what I posted...
I thought that BRP could get more mileage out of the model by splitting it into two separate and distinct types of vehicle:
The Base RS, downsized, made simpler, and a bit less horsepower. The perfect beginner bike!
The RS-S; with the emphasis on Sport! I only suggested articulation, as a possible place to bring the new chassis into play...:thumbup:

tigerdr
05-28-2014, 01:43 PM
We have to wait until mid-september to see what's new for the 2015 Spyder line-up.

Bob Denman
05-28-2014, 02:02 PM
Tick... Tick... Tick... :D

smokedtires
05-28-2014, 03:02 PM
I thought that BRP could get more mileage out of the model by splitting it into two separate and distinct types of vehicle:
The Base RS, downsized, made simpler, and a bit less horsepower. The perfect beginner bike!
The RS-S; with the emphasis on Sport! I only suggested articulation, as a possible place to bring the new chassis into play...:thumbup:

I agree. That all sounds like a good idea. A less expensive RS would open the door to more people considering one. Having owned Sportbikes in the past, I loved the power, braking and handling but never was comfortable stopping d/t my short stature. While I really liked the ride and handling of the Spyder, I will miss the leaning.

On a side note, I see a dealer purchased the bike that I was going to buy and they have it up for sale on Craigslist now.

Rob Rodriguez
05-28-2014, 03:23 PM
Bob,

What you describe for the RS and RSS sounds perfect actually.

I know the price of the RS dropped for 2014 but really it's still out of the range of most 1st time buyers. They need to get it down to the $12K range I think in order for it to really make a play for the low end buyer. If that means losing some features or de-tuning it a bit then it should be done.

Making the RSS the performance sport model with more HP, etc is the way to go. At the moment the only thing separating the RS from the RSS is the wheels and paint. It's really just not worth the upgrade $ in my opinion to go from an RS to and RSS. Yes the fox shocks and stiffer sway bar are nice but you can buy those for $500 or less and install on the RS.

NetJunkie
05-28-2014, 03:26 PM
RS to RS-S: Wheels, paint, shocks, LED gauge, and cruise control.

sddinnh
05-28-2014, 03:26 PM
At the moment the only thing separating the RS from the RSS is the wheels and paint. It's really just not worth the upgrade $ in my opinion to go from an RS to and RSS. Yes the fox shocks and stiffer sway bar are nice but you can buy those for $500 or less and install on the RS.

I think you also get cruise control don't you :dontknow:

Bob Denman
05-28-2014, 04:56 PM
Bob,
What you describe for the RS and RSS sounds perfect actually.
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_11_1.gif How in the heck did THAT happen? :D

Further proof that even a blind Hog can still find an acorn; once in a while! :roflblack:

bmccaffrey
05-28-2014, 06:58 PM
I thought thatinBRP could get more mileage out of the imodel by splitting it into two separate and distinct types of vehicle:

I disagree Bob on the RS being a beginner bike. Most people buy for price and sport plus hp.
Not everyone whants an Rt or can afford one. The rs and rs s will run circles around thr Rt including the 14.
I would believe BRP geared them toward people looking for sport and price. Or maybe you are referring about downsizing the newer Rs I'm not sure. Just my opinion

NetJunkie
05-28-2014, 07:15 PM
What he is saying is they could tone down the base RS and make it cheaper as an entry-level Spyder. Then they could boost the RS-S as a more true sport bike. I'm all for that. I bought the RS-S because I wanted the fastest, leanest model. I could easily afford an RT but I didn't want a big touring Spyder. If BRP bumps the performance on the 2015 RS-S I'm in, no doubt.

What I'd like to see:

30 more HP
100lbs less weight (be tough to do..but I'm asking)
Variable VSS (Sport Mode, Standard Mode, maybe off? Doubtful)

I don't think we're going to see a leaning Spyder any day soon. That's a major change with a lot of things that go with it.

Rob Rodriguez
05-28-2014, 07:22 PM
Right. Cruise, the LED gauges, wheels and paint mean nothing to me. Sure it may look a bit sportier but there is zero performance gain with these things. The shocks are a performance upgrade but I can buy those and install on my RS for less than $400. So to me the $1800 extra charge for an RSS just isn't justifiable.

Things like this would make it justifiable

30 more HP

Bob Denman
05-28-2014, 07:39 PM
What he is saying is they could tone down the base RS and make it cheaper as an entry-level Spyder. Then they could boost the RS-S as a more true sport bike. I'm all for that. I bought the RS-S because I wanted the fastest, leanest model. I could easily afford an RT but I didn't want a big touring Spyder. If BRP bumps the performance on the 2015 RS-S I'm in, no doubt.

What I'd like to see:

30 more HP

I don't think we're going to see a leaning Spyder any day soon. That's a major change with a lot of things that go with it.

BINGO!! :firstplace: :clap:

bscrive
05-28-2014, 09:02 PM
I really don't see anything new for the ST next year. The 1330 will probably be put in the ST in 2016 but not next year. I believe like Bob that a cheaper RS is in the offering for next year. It will have a smaller engine and a few less things like maybe no frunk!!!! and a smaller frame?? Only time will tell though.

Bob Denman
05-29-2014, 06:38 AM
...Don't follow me "over the cliff" :shocked:...
I was just thinking out loud. :D

I kind of feel that the RS in it's current configuration, falls a bit short of the performance that it's appearance implies...
"Splitting" the model line-up could give them a chance to fullfill that promise, and also bring a true entry-level bike to the market...
...Without losing the model! :thumbup:

I only sell insurance; the only thing that I know about product development; is what I see as an end-product user! :opps: