PDA

View Full Version : Very noisy fuel pump!

Guzzi
05-27-2014, 12:07 PM
Anyone notice excess fuel pump whine on their 2014? Had mine replaced by dealer at 2000 miles for noise. Replacement unit is even noisier. You can hear it wailing away even while the bike is running. Sitting at a stop lite and a guy in the car next to me remarked "great lookin Spyder; what's the loud whining noise!" Really embarrassing. Pump seems to work fine, just very loud. Any comments?

Bob Denman
05-27-2014, 12:18 PM
:shocked: You could always tell folks that it's the turbocharger spooling up, and getting ready for another AWESOME launch! :D

Texas
05-27-2014, 12:38 PM
Where do you notice the sound coming from? When I come to a stoplight, I can sometimes here a very slight high pitch sound (like a jet sounds when sitting at a terminal). It's never been annoying; more interesting than anything else. For me, it adds more mystery to the workings of the Spyder.

ulflyer
05-27-2014, 02:44 PM
An extremely loud sound on mine is when the radiator fans kick in while sitting at a long light. Or maybe that's when they go into reverse; they never stay on but about 10-15 seconds.

jerpinoy
05-27-2014, 03:35 PM
Check obstruction on your fuel line. Fuel pump might be working to hard.

SpyRyd
05-27-2014, 03:53 PM
Anyone notice excess fuel pump whine on their 2014? Had mine replaced by dealer at 2000 miles for noise. Replacement unit is even noisier. You can hear it wailing away even while the bike is running. Sitting at a stop lite and a guy in the car next to me remarked "great lookin Spyder; what's the loud whining noise!" Really embarrassing. Pump seems to work fine, just very loud. Any comments?

I notice a whine as well...didn't know what it was. Sometimes it seems louder than at other times. I also occasional hear the "jet engine" sound mentioned by Texas. I'll mention it to my dealer if for no other reason than just to get my concern on record.

Bob Denman
05-27-2014, 04:44 PM
The only "Whine" that I hear :shocked:... Comes from the back seat! :D

Texas
05-27-2014, 05:18 PM

:roflblack:

Bob Denman
05-27-2014, 05:47 PM
Laugh now... :shocked: She's sitting behind me, and I can't tell what she's planning... :yikes:

Guzzi
05-27-2014, 06:30 PM
Laugh now... :shocked: She's sitting behind me, and I can't tell what she's planning... :yikes:
HA! Ok, since you'al digressed from the subject; have never had any fuel injected bike or otherwise, put out this loud a sound or whine once the engine is started. The dealer first noticed the original pump was noisy, and called CanAm for the ok to replace it under warranty. The new one is louder than the original. You can only ignore it so long, til it starts getting on my nerves. Dealer has spoke to CanAm about it, and they have only responded with their usual silence. Other new bikes on the dealer floor are not nearly as loud, so there must be something wrong. I guess in time they will find, at least, a partial cure for the problem.
:opps:

garb55
05-27-2014, 09:29 PM
I can not hear my fuel pump at all
The only sound I hear is the engine running

wis2013rtltd
05-27-2014, 09:33 PM
of the noise? It would be interesting for us other 1330 owners to hear.

Nils888
05-27-2014, 11:48 PM
I have the same noise on mine. There is no noise when it is cold. But the longer the engine runs the louder it gets.
One thing I do notice. When I fill the gas tank and the gas is cold the noise goes away for a while.

I did ask at my dealer about it and got the same reply from BRP. "Nothing"

Bob Denman
05-28-2014, 07:26 AM
of the noise? It would be interesting for us other 1330 owners to hear.
:agree: If you can capture the sound of it... :2thumbs:

SpyderAnn01
05-28-2014, 07:55 AM
Both of the 2014s that I have put miles on are loud at lower speeds. Don't know how to describe the sound but it is a little annoying and it goes away at highway speeds.

SpyRyd
05-28-2014, 08:19 AM
Both of the 2014s that I have put miles on are loud at lower speeds. Don't know how to describe the sound but it is a little annoying and it goes away at highway speeds.

I notice the whine more when I'm stopped at a light. The "jet plane" noise seems to occasionally show up during acceleration in first gear. Neither of these have me concerned, just different and like you say Ann, kinda annoying.

cognaccruiser
05-28-2014, 10:36 AM
I have not noticed the fuel pump making much if any noise. The motor does have it's own unique sound.

Gary

steve0530
06-22-2014, 07:16 AM

Mine started at around 200 miles on the odometer. It seem's to be more like a Wa- Wa sound that is steady, and can be heard over the radio. I shut off the radio and tried to pin point the noise. Left side with no real difference when gears changed or RPM. My first impression was a drive line noise, but being constant would tend to rule that out. It will be interesting to see what the final outcome is.

ulflyer
06-25-2014, 03:30 PM
I get the Wa, Wa, sound also but at all speeds; wondering if it might be the water pump that sits on top side of engine and drives a couple of gears? At idle its a constant whirrrrrrr!

stevedfive
06-25-2014, 03:36 PM
Mine is extremely loud also.

JimFoy
07-06-2014, 09:03 PM
The CanAm tech at the owners event listened to the whine on my 2014 RTL and said it was the fuel pump, and to tell my dealer to replace it when I get the 3k service. I now have that scheduled. The service manager says it will take about 4 hours to replace.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bob Denman
07-20-2014, 05:15 PM
:gaah: Well; mine started getting "Whiney" today today also...2700 miles.
Question: is it okay to continue to run the bike this way, or should I schedule my 3,000 mile break-in service a bit earlier than anticipated? :dontknow:

ulflyer
07-20-2014, 06:48 PM
:gaah: Well; mine started getting "Whiney" today today also...2700 miles.
Question: is it okay to continue to run the bike this way, or should I schedule my 3,000 mile break-in service a bit earlier than anticipated? :dontknow:

Bob, I think many of us have the same thing, but describe it differently. Mine is rather annoying as I don't listen to the radio and can hear it Wa-waing at whatever speed I run. At idle its a constant whirr. Techs say "they all do that". I think perhaps they do, and some folks haven't tuned in to it yet. So, don't worry about it, keep on trucking. :D

Bob Denman
07-20-2014, 08:45 PM
:D :2thumbs:

zbunker
07-22-2014, 06:23 PM

Me too. My machine has been idle for about a month. When I started it up to move it out of the garage, I heard a strange noise coming from under the Tupperware. I determined it was the fuel pump by shutting the machine down for a few minutes, then turn the key and then flip on the kill switch. I am able to hear the pump build up pressure and then stop. The pump noise resumes when the engine starts up and runs.There is a call to my dealer in the near future. Based on what I have been reading here, sounds like I'm not the only one hearing strange noises.
Ron

gonker
07-22-2014, 06:51 PM
I start mine by turning on the key, wait for the display to wake up, then flip the run/stop button down and yell "CONTACT". It gives the fuel pump noise some meaniing....saw that in a movie once...but I think it was a plane they were starting up. Anyway sounds like they all do it. I would rather it make some noise than not and have to walk home. Nature of the beast...

Benggolf
07-23-2014, 06:55 PM
Ours turned from a flop-flop-flop to a whine just like the APU of the commercial jet planes at about 450 miles! :yikes:
So is the dealer or BRP going to say its normal on all the 2014 RTs? :sour:

SpyRyd
07-24-2014, 05:40 AM
Ours turned from a flop-flop-flop to a whine just like the APU of the commercial jet planes at about 450 miles! :yikes:
So is the dealer or BRP going to say its normal on all the 2014 RTs? :sour:

Yep, pretty much. They told my dealer to only replace my fuel pump if it was more noisy than other 14s they have or have serviced. Dealer said mine is about the same as all the ones they have checked out. Just hoping it doesn't decide to crap out on me when I'm on a long trip. Supposedly the fuel pumps are not faulty, just noisy.

DrewNJ
07-24-2014, 08:06 AM
Sounds to me like BRP got a bad batch of fuel pumps, are going to wait it out, roll the dice, and hope they don't crap out.....

I think we all have owned a good amount of vehicles with electric fuel pumps. There is nothing special or unusual about the one in the spyder. Sorry guys, but IMHO a noisy pump is a faulty pump.

Bob Denman
07-24-2014, 09:39 AM
It sure makes you wonder what is going on with it... :shocked:

DrewNJ
07-24-2014, 02:42 PM
Metal to metal contact within the pump is not a good thing. Possible Shavings?

billybovine
07-24-2014, 04:46 PM
I am thinking that the ST for 2015 may have the 1330 engine. So I am counting you lab rats to have the problems solved before I go out and buy one. This problem seems to be taking a long time to get fixed so hurry up. :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

ulflyer
07-24-2014, 07:10 PM
Is the 1330 pump different from those used in pre-14's? Those didn't whine and go wah-wah-wah when cruising! Haven't heard yet of any failures so it may just be something we have to live with! :dontknow:

Edited: Checked the fiche for '10-'14 fuel pump and they all "look" the same and all are priced the same ($460.99) but the part number for the '14 is different: 709000088 (10-13) and 709000090 for '14.

Texas
08-04-2014, 11:56 PM
I'm at almost 6K miles on my RT-S. The fuel pump always made a smooth start up sound, and was sometimes noticed when pulling up to a stoplight. However, a couple hundred miles ago the startup noise is very rough. Also, the noise is now noticeable while cruising at lower RPMs. I am wondering if there is going to be a longevity issue with the pump. I'm going to keep a well trained ear on it to see if it gets worse over time. If it gets worse than it is now, then I'll be taking the RT-S to see if they will replace it. I'm hoping that BRP won't require a full failure before they replace it; otherwise that will be much more troublesome and expensive.

JimFoy
08-05-2014, 09:33 AM
Had the fuel pump replaced on my 2014 RT Ltd last week. I have 4000 miles on it, and the pump was getting louder and louder for the last 2000 miles. It seemed to run OK, but the noise was certainly noticeable. The replacement pump makes no noticeable noise.

The dealer replaced the pump under warranty. Took about 4 hours. .

ulflyer
08-05-2014, 07:00 PM
Had the fuel pump replaced on my 2014 RT Ltd last week. I have 4000 miles on it, and the pump was getting louder and louder for the last 2000 miles. It seemed to run OK, but the noise was certainly noticeable. The replacement pump makes no noticeable noise.

The dealer replaced the pump under warranty. Took about 4 hours. .

Geez, I really like your dealer. Most dealers just say "they all make that noise" and that's the end of it.

stevedfive
08-05-2014, 07:32 PM
I had the CB system replaced last week. I rode it for the first time since then and now the AM/FM radio cuts in and out. I drove to the dealer and believe it or not, it cuts in and out in front of the service advisor. I made an appointment for next week to drop it off. I also asked what that loud noise was and he said it's the fuel pump, they all make that noise. He said they will replace it it quits working.

ulflyer
08-06-2014, 07:38 AM
I know its mostly inside the gas tank, and that's about all I know, but is it something that perhaps could be muffled with some sort of insulation? What tupprware has to be pulled to get at it...the two top side panels?

JimFoy
08-06-2014, 10:29 AM
Geez, I really like your dealer. Most dealers just say "they all make that noise" and that's the end of it.

My dealer is Louis PowerSports in Greenville, Texas. They do a great job both on sales and service.

The BRP tech guy at the Durango Owners Event listened to my bike and said it was the fuel pump and that it needed to be replaced. I passed that info on to Danny, the service manager at Louis, and he did the replacement with no problem.

It might be my imagination, but it seems like my 2014 RTLtd has a little more power since the fuel pump was replaced.

Jim T
09-16-2014, 07:14 PM
Just found this thread while searching about noisy fuel pumps.

I've had my Spyder RT-S for a couple of weeks now. My fuel pump started to get noisy at about 600 mi. Seems quiet when first started, but gets noisy after the bike is ridden for a while.

Contacted my dealer and set up a warranty check for next week. Got the usual "haven't heard of that before". Reminds me of my BMW dealer. LOL

I'll point out this thread to him.

This will be a good test of what kind of dealer I have. So far i'm not too impressed with the service writer…………….doesn't seem too interested in the problem.

Other than that I really like the bike. We've had both a Goldwing 1500 and 1800 trike. The Spyder is much more fun!

Jim

StanProff
09-16-2014, 08:03 PM
:agree: If you can capture the sound of it... :2thumbs:

Bob, do notice any noise at all with yours? Sounds like something is going on with a batch of fuel pumps :dontknow:

Dragonrider
09-17-2014, 07:02 AM
Just found this thread while searching about noisy fuel pumps.

I've had my Spyder RT-S for a couple of weeks now. My fuel pump started to get noisy at about 600 mi. Seems quiet when first started, but gets noisy after the bike is ridden for a while.

Contacted my dealer and set up a warranty check for next week. Got the usual "haven't heard of that before". Reminds me of my BMW dealer. LOL

I'll point out this thread to him.

This will be a good test of what kind of dealer I have. So far i'm not too impressed with the service writer…………….doesn't seem too interested in the problem.

Other than that I really like the bike. We've had both a Goldwing 1500 and 1800 trike. The Spyder is much more fun!

Jim

Do you use "Powersports"? Keep me posted, cause I'll be next in line.

Jim T
09-17-2014, 08:06 AM
Do you use "Powersports"? Keep me posted, cause I'll be next in line.

I sure will. I'm scheduled for next Thursday.

KX5062
09-17-2014, 08:51 AM
My 14 is really noisy, but only sometimes. Mostly it's fine, but every now and then it gets real loud. It's been so intermittant I am unable to pin point a possible triggering event. So, I'll just wait and see. :pray:

Dragonrider
09-19-2014, 12:17 PM
OK, it's Friday now..... :popcorn::popcorn:

rf5
11-30-2014, 08:09 PM
Hello. Mine is making noise since new. I have recorded the sound when turning the key on. And after the startup, the noise continues. Please watch the video. I'm pretty sure it is a faulty pump, that is not normal...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAykAk2xgsY

JimFoy
12-01-2014, 11:58 AM
[QUOTE=rf5;908577]Hello. Mine is making noise since new. I have recorded the sound when turning the key on. And after the startup, the noise continues. Please watch the video. I'm pretty sure it is a faulty pump, that is not normal...

Yes, it is a faulty fuel pump. It's a known issue. Your dealer will replace it for no charge.

rf5
12-02-2014, 01:15 PM
[QUOTE=rf5;908577]Hello. Mine is making noise since new. I have recorded the sound when turning the key on. And after the startup, the noise continues. Please watch the video. I'm pretty sure it is a faulty pump, that is not normal...

Yes, it is a faulty fuel pump. It's a known issue. Your dealer will replace it for no charge.

The problem is that I have seen in this forum that some owners have already replaced the fuel pump and the noise is still there... I believe there is a batch of faulty fuel pumps and there is a possibility to get a faulty replacement as well... I think I will wait a little bit until BRP officially recognizes the issue. Until there, I hope it doesn't stop in the middle of the road...

coastrider
12-04-2014, 09:05 AM
Damn! I've just traded up from a 2013 LTD to a '14 RT-S because I love the new power train, and hated the stalling and clutch rattle on the old bike. Now I have a fuel pump that sounds like a jet engine to look forward to? BTW, the dealer said of my earlier issues "They all do that". As I've said before, would you accept that on a 30K car?

rf5
12-08-2014, 08:39 AM
My dealer has just ordered a replacement pump for my RT-S MY 2014 :2thumbs:. When dealer called the BRP Tech guys here in Brazil, they did not make any question and promptly approved the warranty. This shows that it is a known issue by BRP and for those who are complying, they are replacing the pump.

rf5
12-30-2014, 10:35 AM
My dealer has just ordered a replacement pump for my RT-S MY 2014 :2thumbs:. When dealer called the BRP Tech guys here in Brazil, they did not make any question and promptly approved the warranty. This shows that it is a known issue by BRP and for those who are complying, they are replacing the pump.

The fuel pump module was replaced in my 2014 RT-S by the dealer under warranty and the noise has gone!!! :2thumbs:. BRP in Brazil has already recognized that some units have a faulty pump and may be replaced in any dealer at no charge.
So, for those who believes the loud noise is normal :banghead:, good luck... Someday the Spyder may stop suddenly in the middle of road...

Happy New Year!

rf5
01-05-2015, 07:24 AM
The fuel pump module was replaced in my 2014 RT-S by the dealer under warranty and the noise has gone!!! :2thumbs:. BRP in Brazil has already recognized that some units have a faulty pump and may be replaced in any dealer at no charge.
So, for those who believes the loud noise is normal :banghead:, good luck... Someday the Spyder may stop suddenly in the middle of road...

Happy New Year!

I would like to share some important changes I have noticed after the fuel pump replacement, besides of the silence:

fuel line pressurization is faster;
startup screen is also coming faster;
engine startup is easier;
fuel mileage has improved about 1 km/liter (13.5 to 14.5 km/l);
acceleration is clearly better than before.

For me it was easy to compare before/after fuel pump replacement, as I did not ride any other RT-S 1330 before I purchased mine. So, I suspect the faulty pump was delivering less fuel than needed and this was causing a poor performandce and could cause some engine damage over the time.

rtmario
01-27-2015, 01:07 PM
The only thing you're suppose to ear is a really quiet ''wisss'' when you turn the key on and then it almost stops .
If it is a winning or high pitch ZZZZ sound when the key is on, and you can ear it even when the engine run, this meens the pump is going away... the dealer have to change it, no argument .
In my case , I could ear the wizzz and winning sound even when the engine was running , that's when I've decided to go at my dealer to have it check and he told me that I was lucky it didn't quit on me !!!!
Anyway, if you are not sure...have it check at your dealer ...it's their job.:lecturef_smilie:

stevedfive
02-05-2015, 08:54 PM
BRP authorized my dealer to replace the fuel pump due to noise issue. OMG! The sweet sound of silence. It even appears to run smoother and everything rf5 said in his post. I'm sooo happy. Thank you Malcolm Smith Motorsports and BRP Customer Support.

HIspyder
02-07-2015, 06:50 AM
BRP authirized my dealer to replace the fuel pump due to noise issue. OMG! The sweet sound of silence. It even appears to run smoother and everything rf5 said in his post. I'm sooo happy. Thank you Malcolm Smith Motorsports and BRP Customer Support.

For those of you who have had the pumps replaced on your 2014, can you post the production month please?

Thanks.

Brogers57
03-30-2015, 09:43 PM
Hello. Mine is making noise since new. I have recorded the sound when turning the key on. And after the startup, the noise continues. Please watch the video. I'm pretty sure it is a faulty pump, that is not normal...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAykAk2xgsY

Mine makes this same sound. Time to replace?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bob Ledford
04-21-2015, 06:47 PM

Dangerous ground I would not go there

Brogers57
04-22-2015, 10:27 AM
Had mine replaced last week, fixed my issue. Dealer said it sounded fine, I pushed for a case with BRP got it with ease. Got new pump, installed and no more whine.

PaladinLV
04-22-2015, 10:44 AM
Try a Harley, it does EXACTLY the same thing.

Sorry to disagree with the crowd but since the advent of fuel injection etc. sounds NORMAL to me!

AJ

Mine makes this same sound. Time to replace?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Orange Spyder Man
04-22-2015, 10:56 AM
I can not hear my fuel pump at all
The only sound I hear is the engine running

same on my 2014 RT...

osm

Magdave
04-22-2015, 11:02 AM
:D :2thumbs:

Beside Bob I have seen you sitting..dejected.. on a flat bed before so you are experienced. Thanks for being a test pilot..again :thumbup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zg2segLZoeA

DrewNJ
04-22-2015, 04:30 PM

Sorry to disagree with the crowd but since the advent of fuel injection etc. sounds NORMAL to me!

AJ
No, the harley buzzing on the new bikes is a rattle from the regulator, only happens when the switch is first turned on (not while running), and generally only when cold out.
Also, mention it to the dealer and they will swap it out under warranty. Takes about 15 min to do.
Been there, done that.....lol.

Professor
04-22-2015, 04:59 PM
If anyone asks me what that whining sound is, I just tell them it's the turbocharger. If they don't believe me, I'll point to the 200mph on the speedometer and say, "That number is there for a reason." :ohyea:

Bob Denman
04-22-2015, 07:05 PM
Beside Bob I have seen you sitting..dejected.. on a flat bed before so you are experienced. Thanks for being a test pilot..again :thumbup:

True... but that was the 2010... :D :2thumbs:

Cheribrun
06-03-2015, 07:14 PM
Mine started making the same noise as when I turn the power on - all the time! Tech agreed it's the fuel pump & it's in being replaced right now. Will let you know if that alleviates the problems. It drives me crazy!

Cheribrun
06-03-2015, 07:18 PM

AJ

My husband's Harley does NOT make this noise!

Lew L
06-03-2015, 10:46 PM
My husband's Harley does NOT make this noise!

My friends F/I Harley does not make that noise.

We should be glad that the fuel pump is fairly easy to change----unlike most modern autos----where the pump is IN the fuel tank. What a fun job that would be.

Kaos

WellsboroSpyder
06-08-2015, 07:04 PM

AJ

How could u hear the whining with those damn loud harley pipes...lol

Spyderjuice
06-09-2015, 11:32 AM
Are any 2015's having the noisy pump?
My 2014 does and dealer says BRP won't do anything saying they are not defective, just noisy.

Stan

JayBros
06-09-2015, 03:04 PM
I would be willing to bet that BRP never included a noise spec when they put the fuel pump out for bids. Sometimes it's convenient to be hard of hearing. JMO

Cheribrun
06-10-2015, 08:25 AM
I had my fuel pump replaced - under warranty - last week. What a difference! It is quieter when first powering up and I can't hear it at all when riding. If you're still under warranty, & your pump is noisy, I suggest you ask your dealer/mechanic to replace it.

Cheribrun
06-10-2015, 08:27 AM
Damn! I've just traded up from a 2013 LTD to a '14 RT-S because I love the new power train, and hated the stalling and clutch rattle on the old bike. Now I have a fuel pump that sounds like a jet engine to look forward to? BTW, the dealer said of my earlier issues "They all do that". As I've said before, would you accept that on a 30K car?

INSIST your dealer replace it! They don't all do it & they're NOT supposed to!

Highwayman2013
06-10-2015, 09:58 AM
I would be willing to bet that BRP never included a noise spec when they put the fuel pump out for bids. Sometimes it's convenient to be hard of hearing. JMO

:2thumbs:

jbaker
06-20-2015, 09:51 AM
OK, just came back to this thread. Traded a 2012 RT for the 14 RTS last July. Love everything about the 14 except for the whine noise. On mine, it comes and goes; some days / rides the noise is prevalant even at highway speed. Other times, the ride is sooo quiet. I had come to the conclusion it was the fuel pump. Some times, after start up, while idling, you can hear the pump whine. Other times you cannot. Just like to intermittent noise while riding.

I've had the bike to 2 dealers ast summer / fall; Atlanta and Denver, and they both have told me that it's operating as it should. Neither would acknolwledge that they can hear anything.

This thread is vadation that if not crazy and I'll bring up again. Thanks.

gypsy_100
06-21-2015, 07:49 AM
For those of you who have had the pumps replaced on your 2014, can you post the production month please?
Thanks.

My friends F/I Harley does not make that noise.

We should be glad that the fuel pump is fairly easy to change----unlike most modern autos----where the pump is IN the fuel tank. What a fun job that would be.
Kaos

Add me to the list of replaced fuel pumps -- now enjoying the sound of silence. When the bike is "booting up" and the gauges are doing their sweep, I can barely hear anything. Before it was very loud and obnoxious. Embarrassing as well as discomforting. I had brought it to the dealer's attention when I took delivery of the bike a little over a month ago. After a quick four thousand miles, I told them the pump had to go. Dealer and BRP had no qualms about replacing it. Except that the first one BRP sent was damaged and they priority shipped a second one.

My 2014 was built in April 2014. "Easy" is a relative term. The fuel pump is "in" the top of the tank but removable. The flat rate shows 3.0 hours for this job so BRP considers it pretty extensive -- look at what all they expect from the 2013 heat recall in only 3.6 hours. The official procedure is to completely remove the tank which takes some effort and pumping out all the fuel as well. My tech fortunately said you can get the pump out without totally removing the tank but you do have to slide it over to the right as far as you can. Even with that, he admitted it was a pretty big job.

NU2Spyder
07-01-2015, 07:18 PM
Mine is making the same noise, as soon as the key is turned on. Haven't faced the issue yet.

Andy Cserny
07-04-2015, 01:14 AM
I bought a 2014 Roadster new in Oct 2014, thought it was the noisiset bike I had ever ridden, but "normal " for the Spyder, then a friend who had 62K miles on his 09 RT rode it and said I had an unbearabely noisy bike and it was probably the fuel pump. I have a loud noise whenever the engine is turned on and it gets louder the faster she goes, without ear plugs the bike is not fun to ride. When at the 3K mile oil change I pointed this out to the dealer he said it was "normal" noise for a Spyder. Where do I go next??
Andy

Questions
07-19-2015, 02:10 PM
I had mine replaced in April, it was really loud when you turned the key on and could be heard constantly while driving

gonker
07-25-2015, 01:01 PM
Yes it is loud on my '14 RT. But compared to my '92 5.0 Mustang fuel pump it is quiet. And it was that way from day one... on both. Sound of Power?

jimjel
11-16-2015, 03:03 PM
My 14 RT LTD has had a very noisy fuel pump since new. Worked ok, just noisy. Would have a steady whine when fuel was cold but would change to a wa-wa sound as the fuel warmed up. Spoke to the service manager at my local dealer and he agreed it was noisy and would replace it under warranty but of course he had to order the replacement pump. Got a call from service manager 2 days later saying pump was in and scheduled an appointment. Tech changed it out in two hours flat including a wash job. Absolutely no whine now. Kudos to my dealer!!!

Jim

keys2heaven
09-20-2016, 08:26 PM
Just bought a used 2014 RT Limited and it too has the loud FP. Scheduled a laser alignment with our local powersports dealer and will mention it to them then. Got the extended warranty passed on to me and in my name, so should not have any issue to have it replaced. I'm in central Illinois and will let you all know what dealer says.

keys2heaven
09-21-2016, 08:21 AM
Also, given the fact that some of you have had yours replaced under warranty, am I wrong to assume that there should be a service bulletin for this issue? If there is, does anyone have the number? Might make it easier for my local dealership to submit warranty claim.

scott k
09-24-2016, 08:18 PM
I took ours in for a new rear tire and the dealer said the pump was loud. Anyway they change it under warranty. To be honest we never really notice it. It was louder than our 09 but,just thought it was normal.

keys2heaven
09-26-2016, 06:34 AM
I took ours in for a new rear tire and the dealer said the pump was loud. Anyway they change it under warranty. To be honest we never really notice it. It was louder than our 09 but,just thought it was normal.

I called the dealer and service said they've never heard of this. Wrote to BRP who created a case from my question. Received a reply from them that my question had been sent to the dealer and there shouldn't be any issue getting this replaced if they think it is too loud. My wife and I put about 60 miles on the Spyder this weekend, just cruising around town. Pump didn't seem to be a loud as when I was riding solo to work. Could still hear it though. Anyway, after reading the comments here and what some have said about performance gains after replacing, I'm hoping this is a non-issue with my dealer and they will replace. I have printed out the letter from BRP and this thread in case I need to show additional proof.

RTL1330
09-28-2016, 09:01 PM
I called the dealer and service said they've never heard of this. Wrote to BRP who created a case from my question. Received a reply from them that my question had been sent to the dealer and there shouldn't be any issue getting this replaced if they think it is too loud. My wife and I put about 60 miles on the Spyder this weekend, just cruising around town. Pump didn't seem to be a loud as when I was riding solo to work. Could still hear it though. Anyway, after reading the comments here and what some have said about performance gains after replacing, I'm hoping this is a non-issue with my dealer and they will replace. I have printed out the letter from BRP and this thread in case I need to show additional proof.

My Dealer has ordered a new fuel pump today based on my saying it is noisier now than when purchased new in spring 2015. It is a 2014 RTL with 37000 km on it now.
It got to whining more and more, when I stopped at dealer, no noise, typical right. But it was decided it was noisy. They ordered new one and installed it October 11/16.
so now we ride and see if it stays quieter.

keys2heaven
09-28-2016, 09:03 PM
Hopefully I'll make it to the dealership before the rain hits on Friday. Having lazer alignment done.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

keys2heaven
10-04-2016, 11:50 AM
Finally got Spyder in to dealership today. Had alignment done. 3/8" off. Noticeable difference in handling.

Tech also called Can-Am and they recommended replacing fuel pump (under warranty). So pump will be replaced.

If yours is noisy, recommend seeing dealer.

keys2heaven
11-11-2016, 07:32 PM
Had the fuel pump replaced under warranty today. Ahhhhhhh....the sound of silence!

No noise from fuel pump whatsoever now.

:thumbup:for BRP authorizing the warranty work.

keefer
11-14-2016, 10:01 AM
My wife's 2014 RT pump was very loud. My 2014 was noticeable but not as loud as hers. Picked hers up from the dealer Friday and absolutely no noise from new pump. Her Spyder seems to have more power now too. They have ordered a new pump for mine to be installed next week.