PDA

View Full Version : 2012 RT New Rider

gcranor459
05-27-2014, 08:41 AM
I pickup my 2012 RT SE5 at the end of the month and look forward to riding. One question I have is how stable if the 2012 RT without any modes. I would like to start touring around the first part of August after I do some short rides to gain some experience. Also, if the RT is new and the dealer does all the recalls does this remove the heat problem? I am excited, but want to start out and learn the right way.

Jim&Teresa
05-27-2014, 09:06 AM
:congrats::welcome:The 2012 RT is a great Spyder! You will enjoy it. That was our first Spyder and we put on over 7,500 miles on it in 2013 and was very reliable. No major issues and enjoyed it greatly.

The mods (farkles) we did in order of importance (IMHO):

3rd brake light HMT (highmount) - Custom Dynamics -- SAFETY - people see you are stopped easier
Bajaron anti-sway bar - really helps cornering and helps with side gusts on highway
Spyderpops bumpskid - protects front end/under the front of Spyder
Heat blocking plate - to minimize heat on my right foot

Other items for personal preference, i.e. comfort, communications, convenience, etc.

Good luck with your 2012 RT! :thumbup:

Here's a link for you if you are a first time Spyder ryder ( a lot of good stuff for you to know): http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?41346-quot-Do-s-and-Do-Nots-quot-for-new-Spyder-owners&referrerid=12858 (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?41346-quot-Do-s-and-Do-Nots-quot-for-new-Spyder-owners&referrerid=12858)

Bob Denman
05-27-2014, 09:53 AM
welcome to the Family! :2thumbs:
The 2012 RT can be ridden around the World without any mods... They just help to peronalize the bike to an individual's specific needs... :thumbup:
Log some miles on it, and then see what you might be interested in changing... :D

Chupaca
05-27-2014, 10:02 AM
Welcome to this site and tge roadster world..you don't have to do a thing to your new ryde. They are stable and you can tour wherever your heart desires. That year model never had the heat problems you are reading about. Once you get some mileage under your belt you can look into modifing it to your liking..enjoy your new ryde...:thumbup::ohyea:

PrairieSpyder
05-27-2014, 10:05 AM
:welcome:

Highwayman2013
05-27-2014, 10:11 AM
Welcome, we have a 2012 and it has been problem free. The best advice is to ride it and see what you would like changed.

We have added: Bajaron Swaybar, Spyderpops bumpskid, Spyderpops heat blocking plate upper, Mister Gadget footboards and highway pegs.

alpacaguy
05-27-2014, 10:19 AM
I have a 2012 RT and have not added any farkles so far. Not that I wouldn't like to, but I'm afraid once I get started, it'll be like an addiction and I can't stop. I have really had no problems with mine. I actually put about 70 miles on it this morning and still loving it. You will have a great time on yours, but just be safe. This is by far the best place to come for advise on anything Spyder related...

HedonismBot
05-27-2014, 02:36 PM
Congrats on the ride! You don't "need" any mods; however, many people seem some advantages depending upon their driving style. We haven't done anything other than some lights and are perfect happy. We don't notice too much heat in our 2012 RT-S and since we aren't aggressive in corners (preferring to cruise straight roads) we've found no reason to get new shocks or sway bar. Try the ride out and then decide. You may find you don't need to plunk down the extra cash.

GloryRyders
05-27-2014, 03:02 PM
:welcome: and :congrats: on your :spyder:. As others have said, ryde for awhile and then see what you might want to add..........laser alignment, sway bar, lights, etc. Come to the Owners Event in Durango to see what others have done to make their :spyder2: theirs!:yes:

jerpinoy
05-27-2014, 03:24 PM
:welcome: and :congrats: so far all things are awesome.

StanProff
05-27-2014, 03:49 PM
The 2012 RT can be ridden around the World without any mods... They just help to peronalize the bike to an individual's specific needs... :thumbup:
Log some miles on it, and then see what you might be interested in changing... :D

:agree: many things that are done, farkels etc. are just wants and not needs for the spyder. The 2012 had no more heat issues than the '10's or the '11's. The normal heat on the lower right side. Put on some good leather 6 inch boots and ride. No tennis shoes. I rode my 2010 for a year and a half bone stock. Then started playing with stuff to add on it :coffee:

ARtraveler
05-27-2014, 04:09 PM
:welcome: and :congrats: on the new ryde. :thumbup:

gcranor459
05-27-2014, 07:58 PM
I pickup my 2012 RT SE5 at the end of the month and look forward to riding. One question I have is how stable if the 2012 RT without any modes. I would like to start touring around the first part of August after I do some short rides to gain some experience. Also, if the RT is new and the dealer does all the recalls does this remove the heat problem? I am excited, but want to start out and learn the right way.

Thank you all for the advice; I am really looking forward to start riding.

gcranor459
05-27-2014, 08:01 PM
:welcome: and :congrats: on your :spyder:. As others have said, ryde for awhile and then see what you might want to add..........laser alignment, sway bar, lights, etc. Come to the Owners Event in Durango to see what others have done to make their :spyder2: theirs!:yes:

Congrats on the ride! You don't "need" any mods; however, many people seem some advantages depending upon their driving style. We haven't done anything other than some lights and are perfect happy. We don't notice too much heat in our 2012 RT-S and since we aren't aggressive in corners (preferring to cruise straight roads) we've found no reason to get new shocks or sway bar. Try the ride out and then decide. You may find you don't need to plunk down the extra cash.

I have a 2012 RT and have not added any farkles so far. Not that I wouldn't like to, but I'm afraid once I get started, it'll be like an addiction and I can't stop. I have really had no problems with mine. I actually put about 70 miles on it this morning and still loving it. You will have a great time on yours, but just be safe. This is by far the best place to come for advise on anything Spyder related...

Welcome, we have a 2012 and it has been problem free. The best advice is to ride it and see what you would like changed.

We have added: Bajaron Swaybar, Spyderpops bumpskid, Spyderpops heat blocking plate upper, Mister Gadget footboards and highway pegs.

:welcome:

Welcome to this site and tge roadster world..you don't have to do a thing to your new ryde. They are stable and you can tour wherever your heart desires. That year model never had the heat problems you are reading about. Once you get some mileage under your belt you can look into modifing it to your liking..enjoy your new ryde...:thumbup::ohyea:

:congrats::welcome:The 2012 RT is a great Spyder! You will enjoy it. That was our first Spyder and we put on over 7,500 miles on it in 2013 and was very reliable. No major issues and enjoyed it greatly.

The mods (farkles) we did in order of importance (IMHO):

3rd brake light HMT (highmount) - Custom Dynamics -- SAFETY - people see you are stopped easier
Bajaron anti-sway bar - really helps cornering and helps with side gusts on highway
Spyderpops bumpskid - protects front end/under the front of Spyder
Heat blocking plate - to minimize heat on my right foot

Other items for personal preference, i.e. comfort, communications, convenience, etc.

Good luck with your 2012 RT! :thumbup:

Here's a link for you if you are a first time Spyder ryder ( a lot of good stuff for you to know): http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?41346-quot-Do-s-and-Do-Nots-quot-for-new-Spyder-owners&referrerid=12858 (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?41346-quot-Do-s-and-Do-Nots-quot-for-new-Spyder-owners&referrerid=12858)

:welcome: and :congrats: so far all things are awesome.

Thank you all for the advice; I am really looking forward to start riding.

:welcome: and :congrats: on the new ryde. :thumbup:

:agree: many things that are done, farkels etc. are just wants and not needs for the spyder. The 2012 had no more heat issues than the '10's or the '11's. The normal heat on the lower right side. Put on some good leather 6 inch boots and ride. No tennis shoes. I rode my 2010 for a year and a half bone stock. Then started playing with stuff to add on it :coffee:

Great advice

flaggerphil
05-27-2014, 09:29 PM
Congratulations on your new ryde.

Personally, I've never had any heat problems with my RT.