PDA

View Full Version : is anyone still running windows xp

cuznjohn
05-27-2014, 07:17 AM
i really think Microsoft did us wrong by stopping support of windows xp. i do a lot of stuff on line and many of the sites i use don't want to allow me to go on their site anymore because xp is no longer supported. so i bought a new computer with windows 7 and have been setting it up for all the sites i go to. what a pain in the butt. today i have a program called pc mover and i am hoping that i can transfer my files from the old puter to the new one. oh well another doctors appointment this morning and tomorrow morning so let me get going. i hope you all had a great weekend, than thanks to all our people who served to keep us free

Rob Rodriguez
05-27-2014, 07:26 AM
It's not Windows XP that isn't supported its the older version of Internet Explorer you are using. Personally, if I were you I'd completely move away from Internet Explorer and use something like Chrome. You'll have a more enjoyable, reliable internet experience by doing this.

Bob Denman
05-27-2014, 07:48 AM
We run XP and IE8 on one of our office machines...
I personally use 7, and IE9 back here... :thumbup:
I'm reluctant to move away from the platforms that I've grown so comfortable with... :opps:

USAFE7RET
05-27-2014, 12:12 PM
Just use the built-in Windows Files Transfer Wizard that comes with Win 7. Hook both computers up to your network switch, or use a cross-over cable to connect both ethernet ports and let the wizard walk you through the files and settings transfer. Much simpler.

Chupaca
05-27-2014, 01:28 PM
Computer still runs XP. The rest run windows 7. But we surf with chrome or firefox. Have no problems...:thumbup:

Dan McNally
05-27-2014, 01:37 PM
Technology has walked away from XP . . . it was, in my opinion, the best OS they ever had, except maybe NT, which was also very stable . . . I'm getting used to (after a lot of kicking and screaming) 8.1 . . .

Netminder
05-27-2014, 01:41 PM
Just use the built-in Windows Files Transfer Wizard that comes with Win 7. Hook both computers up to your network switch, or use a cross-over cable to connect both ethernet ports and let the wizard walk you through the files and settings transfer. Much simpler.
:agree:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/windows7/products/features/windows-easy-transfer

revjvegas
05-27-2014, 01:44 PM
I will stay away from 8 like the plague that it is.

I went from XP to 7 Pro a long time ago and don't regret it.

Once you get your PC setup the way you want it with all software installed, take a system image backup of it. Its like a moment in time you can go back to if you ever get corrupted. And of course keep a separate ongoing backup copy of your data/photos, etc.

Course, you'll get just as many opinions on this topic as you will for one on what brand/type of oil to use.

lyonsden
05-27-2014, 01:45 PM
Technology has walked away from XP . . . it was, in my opinion, the best OS they ever had, except maybe NT, which was also very stable . . . I'm getting used to (after a lot of kicking and screaming) 8.1 . . . There is a open source free program you can add to windows 8/8.1 to add the start button back. It's called Classic Shell. Makes it work just like windows 7. http://www.classicshell.net/

Dan_Ashley
05-27-2014, 02:00 PM
Really? Does it work? Can I find the folders again? What about the control panel? Can I put executable icons on the desktop?

lyonsden
05-27-2014, 02:47 PM
Really? Does it work? Can I find the folders again? What about the control panel? Can I put executable icons on the desktop?Yes it works well and looks exactly like windows 7 when your done. You will be happy with it I'm sure. You can find control panel just like before, and you can place executable icons on the desktop. I have a server that I run for my business and it runs Windows Server 2012. It looks just like windows 8/8.1. I added Classic shell and it now works just like the old operating systems too.

lyonsden
05-27-2014, 03:15 PM
You can even make the start button look just like the original. The button that comes with Classic Shell looks like a Sea Shell. Download one of these images and then right click on the start button and select settings. Click replace start button and then browse to the image. If it's not the one you want just select another one. I think all the different sizes are in the folder. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BypE-f7-2XuTbDlkX2JhSzVJdFk/edit?usp=sharing These images are on my Google drive. I use the WindowsStartButtonMedium(Thick Taskbar)

Dan_Ashley
05-27-2014, 03:25 PM
Wow! Thank you! What a life saver!

Dan