PDA

View Full Version : Observatoins on the 2014 RSS

Paula(Butch2025)
05-26-2014, 09:20 PM
I have had an opportunity to ride a 2014 RSS (day glo yellow - I'm NOT a yellow person!) for this weekend while my RS is in the shop (rear wheel bearing trouble we think). Our dealer loaned me his demo RSS SME5, which is new to me, since I have a manual just figuring out how to get going was fun what with the whole parking brake thing and then you have to put the brake on to even shift into first gear! I love my manual....back to the RSS....the first thing I noticed that was wonderful was the air scoops in the front on "Y" yoke piece, it was 87 (yes, here in Minnesota in May!!!) and I never felt "heat" on either leg or foot. Sometimes with my '12 RS my right inside calf will get a bit pinkish/red in higher temps.

Another plus was the Fox shocks, they are way better than the stock ones that come on the RS (which is why I am glad I bought Seth's penskes a few years ago for mine) and the sturdier swaybar, turning in tight situations was a breeze and curves were really nice.

The only thing (besides the parking brake maiming me) that I thought was bad, is that the trunk lid seems very flimsy on the RSS '14. Every time I open and close it I worry that it will come off or break. I don't know if this is common on the newer spyders but my '12 RS trunk lid feels much more substantial than this on.

One of the best features is the cruse controll...LOVE IT!!! If I could figure out a way to take it off this one and sneak it onto my spyder I would do it in a heart beat...Jamie you do not see this right!! All in all I really like the RSS now if I could test out a manual one that would be lots of fun.

Riding it for the past few days and several hundred miles has helped me decide if and when I am ready to buy a new spyder I will seriously look into the RSS, it still fits me and I like the zippy-ness of it.
https://scontent-b-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/t1.0-9/10397976_767289539959884_3356906711854886005_n.jpg

Bob Denman
05-27-2014, 06:42 AM
:congrats: on having your initial purchase decision confirmed by the ride! :thumbup: :D