PDA

View Full Version : Lost Access Panel

ironbuttdean
05-25-2014, 02:29 PM
I know I am not the first to lose the left side access panel on a 2012 RT. Any idea how much a replacement will be and are they available pre-painted? :sour:

ARtraveler
05-25-2014, 04:00 PM
I know I am not the first to lose the left side access panel on a 2012 RT. Any idea how much a replacement will be and are they available pre-painted? :sour:

This is a common happening. I have taken to add these to all my pre-ride inspections--just in case. Are you missing the rubber grommet?

mtbear
05-25-2014, 04:59 PM
I also put some Velcro behind mine after going back and getting it off the road.
mtbear:opps:

BikerDoc
05-25-2014, 05:17 PM
I also put some Velcro behind mine after going back and getting it off the road.
Approx $350 is what I have heard from the hundreds of folks who have lost them in 2010 2011and 2012... It is so nice on the 2014 to not have that worry any longer each time you check the oil

ironbuttdean
05-25-2014, 05:31 PM
Grommets are all still there.

This is a common happening. I have taken to add these to all my pre-ride inspections--just in case. Are you missing the rubber grommet?

ironbuttdean
05-25-2014, 05:32 PM

I will go back on with a stronger tether and velcro this time

revjvegas
05-25-2014, 06:11 PM
Luckily I didn't have to pay for mine, but yes it did come colored to match the bike.

ironbuttdean
05-26-2014, 07:33 AM
Retraced my route from Saturday this morning early. Believe it or not I found the panel lying in the breakdown lane. It even landed face up and with only a minor scratch on the top rear corner.

Wifey says she felt something hit her foot and thought it was probably a rock.

Any way, a happy day here!

ARtraveler
05-26-2014, 01:40 PM
Retraced my route from Saturday this morning early. Believe it or not I found the panel lying in the breakdown lane. It even landed face up and with only a minor scratch on the top rear corner.

Glad to hear you got lucky this go around with the panel. :thumbup:

spyderyderjim
05-26-2014, 03:37 PM

Hi,
Good you found expensive side panel.
You can buy the quick disconnect key holders, 1 foot long 1/8" stainless steel cables, cable crimps from ACE Hardware.
Use vise grips to crimp cables after threading them through back side of BRP side panels emblem; & around key holders.
Below photo shows 3 pair of tethers I made up for friend's RT's.
Jim8904589046

Jim&Teresa
05-26-2014, 04:04 PM

Great! I have never lost one, but have taken steps to prevent ....as others have mentioned. Here's a few pics and suggestions:

1. I have cable tied all the grommets to their frame when I remove a panel....it helps the grommets stay in place and if you pop them out accidentally, they will stay right there to put back in.

2. I use a caribiner with 110 lb test shock cord (550 lb max load) for the tether. I originally had fishing leaders, but replaced with the more robust shock cord. The caribiner is there so the panel can easily be removed from the frame when working on the bike.

Here's a couple of pics:

mrfats
05-26-2014, 04:35 PM
Look at the Baker Airwings...they manage the air and hold the panels on too!