PDA

View Full Version : Big Blue Spyder Lift.

Kingers
05-25-2014, 02:01 PM
Took delivery of one of the above this week and have taken some photo's for your info. Hope this helps anyone thinking of buying. I had to purchase a new drill with gears. I have two electric drills, one was not powerful enough and the other had no reverse spin. Invested in a 1050watt electric drill with speed selector, variable speed and reverse action £34.99 from my local hardware shop, does the job a treat:D

My Spyder is a 2011RT LTD model and the lift fits snug, I understand that the 2013 and 2014 models have different foot boards, you need to check pictures 2 ands 3 for clearance.

http://s1300.photobucket.com/user/ingraminthekeys/library/Photobucket%20Desktop%20-%20localhost/Can%20Am%20Spyder%20Lift

Excuse the state of the garage, not had time to dust:opps:

coz
05-25-2014, 05:13 PM
I think lift is a good idea but the foot print an the floor is to small for hold 1000+ pound that high in the air. There have been some that use ATV lifts with a small foot print that have accidentally bumped there Spyder and it headed to the ground. I would add outriggers to the side with the wheels and also bolt it to the floor.
that's why i made mine.

NZSpyderRyder
05-25-2014, 07:05 PM
I nearly purchased one at the weekend, luckily the distributor in Australia sent me the operating instructions before hand. It was obvious that i wouldn't be able to get it in the right location without removing the right footplate on my ST-L and also there was a concern for the location of the securing cylinder as in your 6th and 7th photo.
This has been developed and tested using a 2102 RT so there may be issue's using it with other model spyders.
One of the main questions I'm still waiting the answer on is whether the chassis on the RT models are the same as those on the RS/ST models and have they changed at a certain model year also.

GuitarPlayer
05-25-2014, 07:10 PM
Now we just need to get them in the US!!

Tony

NZSpyderRyder
05-25-2014, 07:12 PM
Now we just need to get them in the US!!

Tony

They are on there way, the mounting plates should be with your in early June.

bobbobtar
05-25-2014, 07:25 PM
I've had one for five years that I used on my BMW's worked really well. I now use a lift for the Spyder. I would sell Big Blue for $200 pick up only, no Spyder mounting bracket.

Flanker
05-25-2014, 09:16 PM
I've had one for five years that I used on my BMW's worked really well. I now use a lift for the Spyder. I would sell Big Blue for $200 pick up only, no Spyder mounting bracket.

Damn! If I had a garage........................AND a cement floor.....................I'd be out there dealing with you! :(

NetJunkie
05-25-2014, 10:04 PM
I think lift is a good idea but the foot print an the floor is to small for hold 1000+ pound that high in the air. There have been some that use ATV lifts with a small foot print that have accidentally bumped there Spyder and it headed to the ground. I would add outriggers to the side with the wheels and also bolt it to the floor.

Yeah. I like the price but that thing concerns me. It just doesn't seem to be wide enough on the base.

mastertek2000
05-26-2014, 06:01 AM
so it looks like they use the rears shock to lift it does BRP say not to lift bike from there ???

retired1
05-26-2014, 06:21 AM
One of the main questions I'm still waiting the answer on is whether the chassis on the RT models are the same as those on the RS/ST models and have they changed at a certain model year also.[/QUOTE]

My understanding is, all models got the same redesigned frame in 2013.

jcthorne
05-26-2014, 08:11 AM
Thanks for the photos.

Disappointing that they would do all the design work for an older model and neglect providing sufficient clearance for newer models with floor boards. The brackets need to be redesigned to hold the bike several inches further away from the upright portion of the lift. This will also require outriggers on the feet as it moves the center of gravity further away from the lift. Or concrete anchors through the legs. I like the idea, but its execution makes it useless for newer RTs. The drive on lifts that are available do not leave sufficient room for servicing or removal of the wheels. Not to mention the cost. Looks like I will need to stick with the motorcycle jack and jack stands a while longer. Really had hopes of this one being added to our garage.

Disappointing news but thanks for posting.

NZSpyderRyder
05-28-2014, 11:41 PM
so it looks like they use the rears shock to lift it does BRP say not to lift bike from there ???

It is not lifted on the rear shock, that outrigger is there just to secure the spyder to the lift to make it more stable.
All the lifting is done on the front bracket located under the chassis.

NZSpyderRyder
05-28-2014, 11:46 PM
Thanks for the photos.

Disappointing that they would do all the design work for an older model and neglect providing sufficient clearance for newer models with floor boards. The brackets need to be redesigned to hold the bike several inches further away from the upright portion of the lift. This will also require outriggers on the feet as it moves the center of gravity further away from the lift. Or concrete anchors through the legs. I like the idea, but its execution makes it useless for newer RTs. The drive on lifts that are available do not leave sufficient room for servicing or removal of the wheels. Not to mention the cost. Looks like I will need to stick with the motorcycle jack and jack stands a while longer. Really had hopes of this one being added to our garage.

Disappointing news but thanks for posting.

The owner of the manufacturing company in the UK has had a look at a 2014 RT this week, His response was that the front footplate can be removed in a matter of minutes and this will facilitate the correct positioning of the spyder lift.
Secondly he acknowledges that the chassis has changed on the 2013+ models and that the front securing strut position is no longer there. He plans to design a new securing outrigger for the newer models.

Chupaca
05-29-2014, 12:34 AM
and I'm sure it has been fully tested and folks love them but it just looks flimsy..would have get up close and personal with one to see if I would trust it with what these machines cost. Torque on rear wheel axel nut at 96 flb's might make a bit shakey..will watch for them here...:dontknow:

NZSpyderRyder
05-29-2014, 12:43 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIoQuzc5sn0

Troublemaker1
08-13-2014, 09:33 AM
I see this thread has been up awhile, what's this thing cost and is it available in the states yet? is there a web site to look at the instructions? I've seen the Utube video and like the concept.

rnet
08-13-2014, 10:14 AM
This thing looks pretty shakey, Netzley Tire will be unveiling a new lift at Spyderquest. It does take more room, but it will never fall and has some real nice features.

Dragonrider
08-13-2014, 12:25 PM
I have a Northern Tool ATV lift that does all I need it to, and I bought it on sale for $99... the nice aircraft grade aluminum version. I guess I don't see the benefit for spending another $925 plus shipping?? :dontknow:

BajaRon
08-13-2014, 12:36 PM
I have not used one of these lifts so I'm just going on experience with other lifting formats. But I would have a few concerns.

The biggest one being stability. The footprint is probably fine with a balanced Spyder and a reasonable amount of care. But if you remove a front wheel your balance will be affected quite a bit. It looks like there is more support for the left side than the right side.

If you remove the rear wheel, and if you had a fair amount of weight in the Frunk, you might also be setting up a tip forward incident with a nudge in the wrong direction. Not to mention trying to wrestle or muscle an uncooperative part.

I do like the threaded rod driven lifting mechanism as it does give a smooth lift and lowering action with no worries about collapse as with hydraulics. No need for a locking mechanism which, on some lifts, has to be engaged manually. And the supports and overall build appear to be very good.

It would go a long way if this were bolted to the floor, though you would certainly lose versatility.

The thing is, if you dumped your Spyder just once, you'd be sorry for a very long time.

lmsdavila
08-17-2017, 06:56 PM
Where can I buy a Big Blue lift?

Took delivery of one of the above this week and have taken some photo's for your info. Hope this helps anyone thinking of buying. I had to purchase a new drill with gears. I have two electric drills, one was not powerful enough and the other had no reverse spin. Invested in a 1050watt electric drill with speed selector, variable speed and reverse action £34.99 from my local hardware shop, does the job a treat:D

My Spyder is a 2011RT LTD model and the lift fits snug, I understand that the 2013 and 2014 models have different foot boards, you need to check pictures 2 ands 3 for clearance.

http://s1300.photobucket.com/user/ingraminthekeys/library/Photobucket%20Desktop%20-%20localhost/Can%20Am%20Spyder%20Lift

RinconRyder
08-17-2017, 09:58 PM

WAIT! They have dust in England? :)