PDA

View Full Version : 2014 RT or 2014 ST

maliamd
05-25-2014, 12:12 PM
Well my husband and I have had it with sharing a Spyder. We have a 2014 RT-S and will be looking into the 2014 ST -S/L for him. I have been thinking that for about $4,000 more you can buy the 2014 RT. The 1330 is just so great and not sure we want to go back to the 990. Is the ST style that great to give up another 2014 RT?

PrairieSpyder
05-25-2014, 01:18 PM
I have never had an ST so I can't address it directly. But another way to ask your question is: is the 1330 so great to spend another $4000? OR: Is going back to a 990 worth saving $4000?

I think I know your answer based on the "only" comment.

MRH
05-25-2014, 01:38 PM
Having owned both a 2010 and 2014 RT I would absolutely say that the new engine and gearing is worth the cost. For me, the additional storage and comfort for a second rider is also a big plus, but those differences are more personal and less objective.

If you really want the ST, I would strongly consider waiting until next model year to see if they put the new engine in it.

If you can do test drives, I strongly suggest that you do so both with and without a passenger. The differences between the engines are especially pronounced when two people are riding.

Also keep in mind that what feels like far more power than what you need right now can be "not enough power" in six months or a year.

I can't imagine that you will regret the extra investment if you purchase what you want now, but I think it likely that you will regret the "savings" down the line unless the design of the ST is really what you want.

Bob Denman
05-25-2014, 03:05 PM
The answer is... maybe! :dontknow:
If you dig the RTs; it's painfully obvious just how good they are... :thumbup:
If you're not an RT kind of person; :shocked:
I tested an ST, and liked it... except for the much smaller bubble of still air around me. My shoulder were in the breezes, and I wasn't all that keen on it...
But to an ST or RS pilot; that's part of the beauty of them!

ARtraveler
05-25-2014, 03:12 PM
For me, it's all about the new 1330 ACE engine and new gearing.

Pre 1330, it was, do I want a :spyder2: with a top trunk or without for a more "sporty" look?

$4K is a lot to upgrade compared to the ST, but if you are considering the move, my recommendation would be the new RT.

I am in the same position. I now own a 2011 and the new 2014 RT. The change is night and day. When I purchased the 2011 it was the "new" RT and akspyderlady had the best of the two. Now, it seems the "lesser" of the two. If I had the extra money, I would also upgrade the 2011 to a 2014.