PDA

View Full Version : Think I drained my battery

Questions
05-25-2014, 11:46 AM
Help, I left my GPS hooked up and think that it drained my battery. Do I need to buy a new battery? If so where. Or is there a battery charger that I can hook up to recharge it.

Thanks in advance for your help

Chupaca
05-25-2014, 11:52 AM
get a charger and hook it up to the battery or jumper posts..your battery should charge back up and be fine. Don't know how old the battery is or roadster model so it could be the battery may need changing. Battery is available online, dealers and some autoparts...hope its just the charge..!! :thumbup:

jerpinoy
05-25-2014, 11:54 AM
Hook up battery charger until it's fully charge. Replace your battery if it fail or will not take charge. New battery should be available to your nearest dealer.

Bob Denman
05-25-2014, 03:15 PM
By "Charger"; they do NOT mean a battery "Maintainer"... :thumbup:
(Just to be clear...)

Questions
05-25-2014, 06:21 PM
I have a Spyder RT SE 5 2010. I am sure that I have eyes rolling at me. But I do not know much about the mechanics of the bike. What type of charger do I need to buy? Would the GPS drain the battery like that? The Bike was my husbands, who passed away in 2012. I learned to ride last summer. Thought I was doing the right thing by getting it serviced in April.

SNOOPY
05-25-2014, 06:28 PM
I have a Spyder RT SE 5 2010. I am sure that I have eyes rolling at me. But I do not know much about the mechanics of the bike. What type of charger do I need to buy? Would the GPS drain the battery like that? The Bike was my husbands, who passed away in 2012. I learned to ride last summer. Thought I was doing the right thing by getting it serviced in April.

Not everyone knows even basic mechanics of the bike. No question is too simple here.

I know places like Advance Auto sometimes offer an overnight charge to check a battery before just replacing. If one is convenient to you, I would ask about it then you won't have to buy a charger.

Bob Denman
05-25-2014, 07:36 PM
:agree: check with a place that sells batteries first; perhaps they can give it a quick charge to better allow you to assess it's condition...
If it's the original battery; it might just be time to replace it.

SNOOPY
05-25-2014, 08:53 PM
:agree: check with a place that sells batteries first; perhaps they can give it a quick charge to better allow you to assess it's condition...
If it's the original battery; it might just be time to replace it.

True, just realized she said its a 2010. May be best to just replace and not worry about it for a few more years. :thumbup:

MMcc
05-25-2014, 09:06 PM
Unless something else was also left on I cannot see a GPS killing the battery. Perhaps you have been ryding the bike slowly since the last service in April. This bike needs to have high RPM's to keep the battery charged. I found this out when I got the RT as my battery continued to show below normal voltage after a ryde. If you can get someone to jump start it then take it for a nice long ryde. If that does not bring the battery back to life then I go along with the group. Have it replaced.

StanProff
05-25-2014, 09:13 PM

I have a 2010 as well. Mine is an SM 5 (manual shift), I replaced my battery a couple of weeks ago. It was not completely dead but did start a little slower than normal and I was getting ready to take a trip and wanted to play it safe. It was my original battery. I know from experience that with all the electronics running in the background it is recommended to have a battery tender hooked up when not riding for a week or so. I left mine hooked up 80% of the time in the garage. Also a GPS charging all the time will help drain what little reserve the spyder has. It has happened to me on occasion if I forgot to plug in the tender and let the bike set for 3 weeks or so. Hopefully, if it is not the original battery, a simple charge is all that is needed. If you know someone handy with a meter they can check the battery for the correct voltage to see if it is holding a charge.

Questions
05-26-2014, 07:12 PM
You guys are the greatest!!! Thank you all for your quick responses!! I talked to to the dealer. They said it was more than likely the GPS because I had left it on for over a week. I did a trickle charge and it is fully charged and back up and running. However with that being said, I have not replaced the battery since 2010 (brand new). Do think it is time!
What a group!!!

Bev

SNOOPY
05-26-2014, 07:25 PM
Many times a trickle charge won't "fully" charge a dead battery.

Some variables to consider, but if the battery is 4 years old I would consider replacement so you don't get stranded somewhere.

In my experience an original car battery lasts 5-7 years, a powersports battery usually maxes out around 4 years.

Anyone else have better fortune w batteries?

Bob Denman
05-26-2014, 08:21 PM
Bev,
Glad to hear that you've got it up and running! :2thumbs: