PDA

View Full Version : Now I remember why I stopped buying this

retread
09-09-2008, 04:44 PM
Motorcylist magazine has a write up on the Spyder, under the title "Training Wheels". The writer thinks the top speed is governed, doesn't think it handles, "the machine can't find one clean arc and hold it, even on smooth, clean pavement. It lurches and crabs all over, no matter how smooth you are at the controls." I wonder if he was on it more than 10 minutes. On the other hand, he had nothing but good things to say about the Piaggio MP3 500 he rode. Maybe a little bias involved.

one2doo
09-09-2008, 04:48 PM
No cure for stupid!:cheers:

Lamonster
09-09-2008, 04:57 PM
Motorcylist magazine has a write up on the Spyder, under the title "Training Wheels". The writer thinks the top speed is governed, doesn't think it handles, "the machine can't find one clean arc and hold it, even on smooth, clean pavement. It lurches and crabs all over, no matter how smooth you are at the controls." I wonder if he was on it more than 10 minutes. On the other hand, he had nothing but good things to say about the Piaggio MP3 500 he rode. Maybe a little bias involved.

Maybe they need to have a guy that can ride more than a two wheeler doing their testing. The guy has no idea what he's talking about.

one2doo
09-09-2008, 05:01 PM
Cisaacs and I had stoped on the Blue Ridge Parkway this weekend when a moron stoped his old as in 94 vet aka [maxwellhouse can complete with marbles] and ask if the Spyder rode as bad they said. He read that article. PS I love vets the new ones.

jwfranklin
09-09-2008, 05:19 PM
Someone on the V8 riders board, the other day had a chance to test ride the Spyder at a Factory demo event in Calif. He personally had nothing good to say about it. When someone said that Lamont liked his, someone else said that he bought it for his wife. I do remember a post from him about buying something his wife would ride. Anyway I posted he had over 25000 on his, has a trailer that he tows cross country, etc. then stated that i had one coming. They orginal poster came back, they didn't handle well, were under powered, and couldn't see any use for them.

Wayne

Spyderman62
09-09-2008, 05:43 PM
I seem to remember posting a response to a mag writers review. Seems they are told what to write in my opinion! I am not the worlds final answer on product testing, but I have ridden several well handling bikes. Several sport tourers, a Valkyrie, a new 1800 Wing, and in my humble opinion, if you say that the Spyder does not handle, you have not left the parking lot. Anything that handles a corner fast enough to stay on a line in a curve and throw you off the seat is called handling! Last time I tried a corner in a sports car, the car broke traction before I lost nerve. The Spyder is a different story. I challenge any magazine rider/writer to really ride one and then tell the real story with out the bias of a magazine owner telling them what to say! Ok I feel better now. Some things really get my blood in a boil!

tatt2r
09-09-2008, 05:59 PM
tell that to jay leno

jeuchler
09-09-2008, 06:38 PM
Wasn't there a (good) article in a magazine somewhere about the homecoming ride??

sleepman
09-09-2008, 06:48 PM
I read the article and like most wasn't that impressed. However I'm not gonna let another person's opinion get me down. So far all my riding buddies think the Spyder is pretty darn awesome and I haven't gotten any negative feedback. Had a guy on the HD forum I frequent send me a lot of questions and he sent me a message today saying he'd finally rode one and was impressed by the power and that it took him a little while to get used to riding it, but that it was a nice ride and a lot of fun.

Personally I don't count the Spyder as a starter vehicle and if it is used as a starter to riding I think people could learn some bad habits and have trouble going from the Spyder to 2 wheels.

Extracool
09-09-2008, 06:53 PM
I heard that BRP was producing 54 Spyders a day and could not keep up with the demand for them and have added another production line,if this is the case, there must be a lot of "Happy" Spyder Lovers out there for this misguided one, perhaps he does not know how to ride but one thing and is not willing to admit that there are better bikes out there with much higher technology.

cisaacs
09-09-2008, 06:57 PM
I can understand why a new person may not like the spyder right out of the gates. I bought mine without even seeing one in person. My first ride was from Charelston Sc to Myrtle Beach bike week. The first 10 miles was oh crap what have I done, the next 80 miles I relaxed enough to realize that it was 60 deg and all I had no jacket and it was cold to me any ways. After arriving Myrtle, checking out some vendors and heading back down the coast I figured out I had made a wise choice. It took about 500 miles to become relaxed and begin to love it. Now I ride the spyder everywhere. I look for excuses to make a store run just to be on the road. My point is is takes getting use to, but once you do the spyder handles and rides great. These people should be required to spend some time on any bike before reviewing it.

Smylinacha
09-09-2008, 07:02 PM

He's just another butthead. Piaggio? My friend at work got one and turned it in - hated it.

FANG
09-09-2008, 07:09 PM
When I bought mine I had only ridden 2 motorcycle in my life an Honda 50 back in the 60"s and the 250 Honda Nighthawk at my MSF course. Never rode the :spyder: had only sat on ot in the dealer's showroom. I knew that this was the open air ryde for me. Took it around the dealers back lot twice and put it reverse once and then it was out on the road. At first I was tense and was so tentative trhat my wife thought I was going to get smashed by some auto. After 500 mile the wife now rydes 2 up and I am having the time of my life. If they want a review I will be glad to write one for them. LOVE MY:spyder:. :2thumbs::2thumbs:

IdleUp
09-09-2008, 07:13 PM

Well - I've owned the MP3 and of course, I own a Spyder - the MP3 does ride like it's on a rail and is very safe, however while it will track a stright line better than a Spyder, the MP3 won't hold a match to the performance and the safety of the Spyder. His comments clearly represent 2 wheel riders who can't accept change.

Zerocool
09-09-2008, 07:24 PM
I can understand why a new person may not like the spyder right out of the gates. I bought mine without even seeing one in person... It took about 500 miles to become relaxed and begin to love it. Now I ride the spyder everywhere. I look for excuses to make a store run just to be on the road. My point is is takes getting use to, but once you do the spyder handles and rides great. These people should be required to spend some time on any bike before reviewing it.

My experience is very similar to yours. Bought sight unseen. Tightening the shocks helped as did packing on the mileage. Over 2000 here (ok, ok, I know it pales in comparison to others, but my commute to work is only 20 miles R/T)... my point is, I'm very comfortable traveling I95 in CT at speed+ to customer meetings 30 miles away.

Riding the Spyder is a skill that has to be developed. More seasoned riders need less time. Hard to believe this dude rode the :spyder: once and became instantly qualified to write an opinion piece.

spydeebike
09-09-2008, 07:35 PM
:mad:this is what that writer want, attn so lets drop it and continue enjoying our new machines....................were rockstars on them:yikes:

NancysToy
09-09-2008, 07:40 PM
It is hard for many to switch from one type of ride to another. I have heard people scream bloody murder about the old Triumphs with the brake on the "wrong" side, Indians with the throttle on the "wrong" side, Harley Sprints with not only the brake and shift "reversed", but a reverse shift pattern, too. This list goes on and on. Others complain about the handling of touring bikes because they are used to sport bikes, and vice versa. I personally have been riding whatever my butt landed on for 50 years, and still swap control patterns and types of rides frequently. Seems to come naturally. A person that cannot adapt readily will not have a glowing review of the Spyder, especially with only a few miles at the controls. The same person may also complain about a Goldwing or a trike conversion.

Strong bias in the media is a bad thing, in my opinion. A review should stick to facts, and allow the reader to make the decisions. To say the handling takes some getting used to, or that it takes time, I would respect. To say it is terrible, based on one quick ride, and built-in prejudices, is wrong. I love the reviews where multiple riders ride the bikes, then compare notes. I, for one, will continue to complain loud and long when a reviewer slams a product just because he or she can't figure it out, or it doesn't fit their style or shape. If enough of us send replies, emails, or letters, maybe those idiots will find themselves out of jobs, and we will start to get some honest evaluations.
-Scotty

FANG
09-09-2008, 08:09 PM
:agree: well said Scotty! :clap::clap::2thumbs::2thumbs:

Bimjo
09-09-2008, 08:20 PM
Ok, maybe I'm dense or something, but every time a magazine reviews the Spyder it seems like most of the folk here get their panties all in a bunch.

You bought it because you like it, what possible difference does it make what some mag flack (or anybody else) says about it? Are y'all just insecure? Or do you need the masses to validate your riding decisions?

As a former V-Strom rider I'm very familiar with people calling it ugly. I never let it bother me, especially when I was riding right on their butts in the twisties on their "superior" sport bike.

Not trying to pick a fight here, I'm really curious what the obsession with the Spyder in the press is?

BRPjunkie
09-09-2008, 09:11 PM
I repeat my earlier post regarding the personal watercraft magazines back in 1988 when the first sit down PWCs came out. Most testers who rode stand up Jet Skis found the sit down models boring and unchallenging and wondering who would want to sit down. People who test products with a bias will not always see where a product is trying to take the market. When answering the question, who would want to sit down on a PWC, lots of people. In answering the question, who would want a three wheeled motorcycle, I think the answer may be the same. If BRP is successful in defining this new market, who will be the first to try to compete, Yamaha, Honda, Kawasaki or Suzuki, or will they all simply concede this segment?

NancysToy
09-09-2008, 09:20 PM
Ok, maybe I'm dense or something, but every time a magazine reviews the Spyder it seems like most of the folk here get their panties all in a bunch.

You bought it because you like it, what possible difference does it make what some mag flack (or anybody else) says about it? Are y'all just insecure? Or do you need the masses to validate your riding decisions?

As a former V-Strom rider I'm very familiar with people calling it ugly. I never let it bother me, especially when I was riding right on their butts in the twisties on their "superior" sport bike.

Not trying to pick a fight here, I'm really curious what the obsession with the Spyder in the press is?
You make a good point, Jim. Really, my beef is with short-sighted writers in general. I don't particularly care what they have to say, and I never even read a review until after we bought a Spyder. That's not so for a great many people, however, who dwell on what these "authorities" say. I guess we all like our Spyders so much, we hate to think that anyone will be unfairly deprived of the joy (or pain) of trying one for themselves, just because they read a poor review in some magazine. In addition, I would hate to see a great product wither and die in the marketplace, leaving us all with orphans, when that product has so very much to offer.
-scotty

Mad Matt
09-09-2008, 09:31 PM
This reminds me of what the press said about the Wright Brothers Invention, the newspapers said it was a useless contraption..... I guess not much has changed in the press since 1908.

Mad Matt

bjt
09-09-2008, 09:49 PM
Those who can, do. Those who can't, write. :dontknow:

AMTJIM
09-09-2008, 10:05 PM
Rest assured, I have ridden most catagories of motorcycle with the majority being sportbikes. If anyone is on the fence about the Spyder for a reason other than cost, DO NOT let this mag make your decision about buying. Get out there and ride one, I road it twice. In regards to cost, I know many people that have bought their motorcycle/motorcycles 2 or 3 times from having an accident that is easily avoidable on the Spyder. The conversion may take a little getting use to, but if they saw what I did on my Spyder this past weekend, they would fire the writer and interview me along with the sportbikes I road with this weekend. I find it interesting that the writer/rider had a difficult time with these so called training wheels. This is an amazing multi capable machine that may find you pulling a trailer 2 up or untangling a twisty road at speed, then finishing off the days events getting groceries or cruising over to the local fast food...rain or shine!

RocketLady
09-09-2008, 10:24 PM
ROADBIKE magazine has posted positive articles about the Spyder for the past several issues and an article and pictures of the HomeComing event.

Jeff in Dallas
09-09-2008, 10:28 PM
I enjoy riding the Spyder for 3 main reasons:
1. It is safer than a bike in most cases for both me and my passenger.
2. It is a dream in a parking lot
3. Because of 1 and 2 above, I spend much more time in the wind.

For those reasons, I will likely keep the Spyder if I have to choose between it and my bike. However, the fact that a Spyder does not lean like a bike simply makes it more work to ride. IMO, if it leaned, it would be perfect. If someone designs something as cool as the Spyder that leans, I will be off the Spyder bus in a heartbeat.

spyderme
09-10-2008, 07:10 AM

The savouring of something fine in life takes time, while idiocy comes straight away.

ArmyGurl
09-10-2008, 06:08 PM
Motorcyclist Magazine........NO SOUP FOR YOU!!!:mad:

Lowflyingowl
09-10-2008, 06:29 PM
Luckily, the issue of Motorcyclist with this awful review is my last issue. I long ago decided to let the sub run out. I prefer Rider, although even their review didn't do the Spyder justice.

I would have liked to see a review comparing the Spyder to some of the Harley or Gold Wing trikes. I know the Spyder is not a motorcycle and don't expect it to be. I rode a Gold Wing trike the day before I purchased my Spyder -- the Psyder was much more fun, while the Gold Wing felt like driving a sofa...

Just sayin...

Smylinacha
09-10-2008, 07:38 PM
Those who can, do. Those who can't, write. :dontknow:

:2thumbs::bowdown::cheers:

Roaddog2
09-10-2008, 07:56 PM
Probably too scared :yikes: to really ride it......so r u Riverdale:cus:

Roaddog2
09-10-2008, 08:24 PM
:cus:
so how come I always have to wait for you to catch up????? Hmmmm??????