PDA

View Full Version : Whose our "resident" electronic expert

sddinnh
05-24-2014, 05:18 PM
Ok, here's the deal. I was unhappy with the external speakers, so I installed the Bluetooth dongle and put a Bluetooth receiver and speakers in a helmet. It works fine at low speed, but above 40-50 mph it becomes garbled as you have to keep increasing the volume to overcome the wind noise in the helmet. So what I want to do is to go back to my old system of using earbuds and have nothing installed in the helmet.

So, first I tried bypassing the new Bluetooth and connecting directly into the audio cable that feeds it. You can hear music, but cannot get the volume high enough to be workable. So, I reconnected the Bluetooth and then tried going thru the GPS. No dice, the GPS has no pass thru for the radio or the IPod. So now I guess I want to install a Bluetooth receiver to earbud converter in the glove box and connect thru there. Has anyone used a device like this or know another way to connect earbuds into the system?

Chupaca
05-24-2014, 07:01 PM
I'm not the one...I have a mp3 player I plug into my Scala G9 and volume increases automatically with speed. G9 has radio and intercom. I know this doesn't help you but just didn't kniw how complicated it gets on those RT's...:dontknow:

AbNormy
05-24-2014, 07:03 PM
Get the earbud capable Bluetooth helmet receivers

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

Major spyder
05-24-2014, 07:29 PM
If you press the center tab on the dongle twice ...it will increase the volume.....:banghead:

sddinnh
05-25-2014, 05:24 AM
If you press the center tab on the dongle twice ...it will increase the volume.....:banghead:

Volume isn't the problem with the speakers in the helmet. The problem is clarity thru the helmet headset in conjunction with the wind noise. At 50 mph you can't even understand the lyrics. Volume only becomes the problem if I take the SENA out of the loop and plug the earbuds directly into the radio via the bluetooth cable.

mastertek2000
05-25-2014, 05:29 AM
you must place the speakers in the helmet in the correct place i had that problem once i got them correct men you can go deaf LOL hey we are riding in NH today call if you want to join us

Highwayman2013
05-25-2014, 05:37 AM
You have a lot of wind noise in your helmet on an RT? We use Sena BT headsets in our full face helmets to listen to music from our phones and there is no garble and no wind noise except when using the intercom. Do you have the voice activation (vox) turned on on your headset? That may cause it.

sddinnh
05-25-2014, 06:03 AM
You have a lot of wind noise in your helmet on an RT? We use Sena BT headsets in our full face helmets to listen to music from our phones and there is no garble and no wind noise except when using the intercom. Do you have the voice activation (vox) turned on on your headset? That may cause it.

Open face helmet / 23" vented windshield - I like lots of air so I guess I'm paying the penalty for that. No passenger / no microphone :shocked:

Highwayman2013
05-25-2014, 06:10 AM
Can you stream directly from your phone? That's how we do it so we have no experience with the dongle. Just something to try. Sena makes an earbud set up as well. http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/sena-smh-10-helmet-clamp-kit-for-speakers-and-earbuds

sddinnh
05-25-2014, 06:12 AM
I'll chime in here even though I haven't had much experience with the bluetooth dongle.

The line feeding the dongle that you tied into is something called "line level".
It has a constant amplitude of around a volt or so.
You need to boost that a bit with an amplifier of some sort.

If you want to use that with your earbuds you might want to consider an amp like
http://www.amazon.com/Dayton-Audio-Digital-Amplifier-Module/dp/B002IA9MYK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1401014889&sr=8-1&keywords=amplifier+module

There are other small 12V amplifier modules available.
I imagine Radio Shack has one.

Thanks Roger, I wondered about that. I figured the bluetooth was somehow amplifying the signal that was coming from the radio as well as transmitting it although that signal does go up and down with the volume control. Funny though, with the bluetooth inline, the volume control on the handle bars does not work, you have to control it with the helmet control.

sddinnh
05-25-2014, 06:18 AM
you must place the speakers in the helmet in the correct place i had that problem once i got them correct men you can go deaf LOL hey we are riding in NH today call if you want to join us

Thanks for the offer Roy (and I'll take you up on it later in the summer, we'll go ride in the mountains. I know some really good roads :clap:), but I need to see if I can get this sorted out before I head for Americade Friday. Besides, you do know it's raining up here and they're predicting thunderstorms :yikes: this afternoon

sddinnh
05-25-2014, 06:20 AM
Can you stream directly from your phone? That's how we do it so we have no experience with the dongle. Just something to try. Sena makes an earbud set up as well. http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/sena-smh-10-helmet-clamp-kit-for-speakers-and-earbuds

I looked at that, but it looked cumbersome having the ear buds attached to the helmet.

Eagle1
05-25-2014, 06:45 AM
Hi, we use the Sena system, which works great. A turn of the knob changes volume, no hanging wires--All tucked into helmet padding. We both can stream from our phones, receive phone calls, have intercom and i get gps in my headset. It is great to listen to our own music. Also, works with other blue
tooth devices.
Remember the meaning of Memorial Day, our brothers died for us to be free..
Vietnam Veteran.