PDA

View Full Version : May Be Time To Move to A SE6

MikeT
05-23-2014, 10:02 AM
I am posting on this forum because of the nature of my question. If I have done so in error, the administrator of thos site has my permission to move it to a more appropriate place.
Right now my left (dominate) hand and arm is in a cast and wrapped up to my elbow after having hand surgery for an arthritic base thumb joint and the removal of a large lipoma in my wrist a week ago. Not knowing how much function will return, I am writing to ask if any GL1800 trikers have made the leap to the new Ace 1330 powered RT-S or RT-L Spyder? Would you be willing to share your experiences? I would like to get an idea of what I can expect. I have a '09 PY Comfort/Navi/XM radio Hannigan Trike. I think I can get pretty close to an apples to apples CY RT-S/SE6, except for the integrated NAV. From what I have read, it seems that the maintenance cost are more expensive than the GW. I have no local Spyder dealer; but since I am contemplating retiring in a year, that's not a huge obstical.
Thanks,
Mike

Bob Denman
05-23-2014, 10:28 AM
:shocked: All that I can tell you; is that the 1330/SE-6 combination is fantastic! :2thumbs:
But you need to heal up quickly and completely! Good Luck! :thumbup:

SpyderAnn01
05-23-2014, 10:50 AM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?67457-Some-observations-after-about-1-month-of-ownership-of-2014-RT-S&highlight=gold+wing

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?66913-Gold-Wing-1800-to-2014-RT-Spyder&highlight=gold+wing

Take a look at these links they should help you.

Dan_Ashley
05-23-2014, 12:01 PM
I purchased an SE because of a broken finger in my left hand that never healed all the way. I'm glad I did. It took a little getting used to, but it was ok. The biggest issue for the semi auto for me was to NOT let off the gas when up shifting. If I just hold my hand steady, and not let off the gas, the shifts are a lot smoother.

Chupaca
05-23-2014, 01:45 PM
agree you should heal up and see how well and how much motion you have. I came from a wing but much older. The switch to the se6 should be quite easy and enjoyable. The paddle shifter does require finger motion thumb and index but could be modified. Do hope you heal well and quickly...:pray:

ARtraveler
05-23-2014, 01:55 PM
Once you get healed up to the point where you can drive again, then it is time for a test drive to see exactly how an SE6 will work for you.

The :spyder2: is not exactly a GW, so we are kind of looking at apples and oranges here.

The service schedule on the new ACE 1330 is not as stringent as on the 998 :ani29:'s. When you take that into account, and discount the fact that a GW generally has a $10K to $15K premium for the "triking," I don't think you can say the :spyder2: costs more in the long run. The mpg's on the :ani29: have also increased. Reports of 37 to 40 currently.

It's a call that has to take a lot into consideration.

MikeT
05-23-2014, 03:46 PM
Just got some guidance from my surgeon's office. I will not have full use of my hand until July:(:(:(:(. Looks like it could be a short riding season.
I appreciate all the input, and good wishes I've gotten so far. I'll keep checking back to see how the 1330 is working out for all of you as you put miles on them.
I have an open invitation from the sales manager to visit Maximum Powersports in Peru, IN as my recovery progresses.
Mike

Bob Denman
05-23-2014, 05:05 PM
Mike,
July?? :shocked: :gaah: If I heard that; I'd probably be nursing a broken toe from kicking something that I shouldn't have... nojoke
Have you ridden any of the 998-equipped RTs?

MikeT
05-23-2014, 05:22 PM
Bob,
I wanted to be operated on earlier; BUT my insurance said I had to have it done in the hospital; not in the Surgi-Center. I'm not happy about it. My work group is not happy about it; but what's a guy to do? To top it off, the company that administers our STD is dragging their feet. I've got a few choice words for that mess. Can't wait to see what it will be like to be on full Medicare in a year.
Miike