PDA

View Full Version : Question for 1330 RT owners on Elka shocks

sddinnh
05-23-2014, 09:14 AM
Have you replaced the standard shocks on your RT with Elka Stage 1+R shocks? Was the difference in the handling work the $800 price tag?

cuznjohn
05-23-2014, 09:47 AM
i had the elkas on my 13 and thought they made a really big difference, as soon as i get some miles on my 14 i will decide if i want to change them. they say the shocks we redesigned for the 14's

warp10
05-23-2014, 10:15 AM
They were redesigned for the 2014 RT and they are better than before. That being said I still switched to Elka's and the ride is much more firm in the corners and solid on the straight. Their is no adjustment on the stock shocks so when they begin to wear out you could switch then.

Texas
05-23-2014, 12:32 PM
Have you replaced the standard shocks on your RT with Elka Stage 1+R shocks? Was the difference in the handling work the $800 price tag?

During the first 2,500 miles of having my '14, I was seriously considering getting Elkas to see if that would improve the suspension. However, since that time, the RT seems to be absorbing the bumps much better; to the point I don't feel I need to change the shocks. I'm guessing that it just takes some time to get the stockers to settle in.

My recommendation is to make sure you have a few thousand miles on the new RT before considering making the switch. It might end up saving you a lot of money.

sddinnh
05-23-2014, 12:40 PM
Texas, the bike has 2500 on it now and I'm not looking to do this right away, just wondering what benefits I'll get if I do decide to change them.

Texas
05-23-2014, 01:04 PM
Texas, the bike has 2500 on it now and I'm not looking to do this right away, just wondering what benefits I'll get if I do decide to change them.

Steve,

There are different stages of Elkas. My understanding is that the Elka Stage 5 is the one used for the RT. This has a remote reservoir which provides better dampening, which should greatly improve handing in the corners and adsorb very harsh bumps better. If these are not your issues, I don't think you would get your money's worth out of them.

However, if you are having cornering issues and have not had a laser alignment done on the RT; get this done first. I had this issue (very twitchy in the corners), and the alignment eliminated the issue altogether. The only remaining issue I had was the RT was too jumpy on rough back country roads, but putting more miles on the RT and letting the shocks settle in seemed to resolve that issue.

Currently I am very happy with the handling and ride of the RT, and all that needed to be done was an alignment.

I hope this helps.

sddinnh
05-23-2014, 01:33 PM
Texas, just to keep you up on the bikes status, so far the Spyder has been laser aligned and has a BajaRon anti-sway bar.

Up here in the Northeast we have two types of roads. (1) Kinda straight and smooth (2) Really curvy, but rough because of the frost heaves. The latter are, of course the "fun" ones. :shocked: There are no smooth and curvy roads, but along with that, we also have a lot of roads with off-camber turns. It makes it interesting is you try to really push the Spyder under these conditions. Like you are interested in gas milage, I am interested in getting to best cornering out of the bike under the conditions that I ride it in here in the Northeast US and Maritime Canada.

Texas
05-23-2014, 01:56 PM
I didn't know you had already had those things done Steve. If that is the case, then my guess is that you'll see some improvement with the Elkas, however, I know I would never feel that comfortable pushing the RT on a off-cambered rough road. I always welcome better handling to inspire confidence in handling, and I would really love to have a set of Elka Stage 5 shocks; I just don't think I would see the full benefit for what the cost. I'm guessing their rather hefty price tag is why so many owners don't have them on their RTs as well.

A few years ago I had a 20012 Vette. I spent about the same price to get a full set of coil-overs for it. While it improved handling, I swapped them out for a set of Bilstein shocks that were about $360 for the set. The Bilsteins actually performed better. I wish we had this same kind of option, as I have no problem spending $180 (because there are only two shocks on the RT) to upgrade the shocks on the RT to get that same level of performance.

sddinnh
05-23-2014, 02:37 PM
Cost vs performance is always a consideration Texas. Also cost vs complexity. For instance, how many people can adjust all the variables on a stage 5 Elka shock correctly when they might have been better off, and gotten better results, the with the simplicity of a stage 1 +R

Nils888
05-23-2014, 08:43 PM
I have the Elka stage 1+R shocks. I have done all the changes to my RTS in stages starting with the Bajaron sway bar then laser alignment and
then the Elka shocks. I had about a two week window between each change to see what difference each one made. The alignment made the biggest
change for me. It was way off. Once the sway bar and alignment were done the spyder was pretty good. But I spend 90% of my time Riding
windy canyon roads. I was still not happy with the handling. When I would come into corners the front end would dive and it still had a lot of body
roll. And as most riders have found out when it leans to far the Nanny hits the brakes and the fun is over.

I installed the Elka's and went out for a ride. After the first three corners I was smiling!!!! No more dive in the corners, No more body roll.
I did not notice to much difference in ride. Maybe a touch stiffer then the stock shocks in the bumps.

I got to ride a stock spyder a few weeks ago. It was terrible. It makes me appreciate all the people on this website that you can purchase
all these parts from.

Hope this helps you make the correct decision.

Nils

sddinnh
05-23-2014, 08:59 PM
Thanks for the input, that helps a lot.

spyderyderjim
05-24-2014, 12:31 AM
Texas, just to keep you up on the bikes status, so far the Spyder has been laser aligned and has a BajaRon anti-sway bar.

Up here in the Northeast we have two types of roads. (1) Kinda straight and smooth (2) Really curvy, but rough because of the frost heaves. The latter are, of course the "fun" ones. :shocked: There are no smooth and curvy roads, but along with that, we also have a lot of roads with off-camber turns. It makes it interesting is you try to really push the Spyder under these conditions. Like you are interested in gas mileage, I am interested in getting to best cornering out of the bike under the conditions that I ride it in here in the Northeast US and Maritime Canada.

Hi Steve,
Like you, I love the high speed cornering with 2014 Spyder RT-S here in Tucson, Az mountain roads, (5,300 miles).
You will notice a major speed increase in cornering with Elka's front & rear, as they absorb the small bumps but firmer/level in corners.
Elka's smooth out the harsh small bumps you feel with the 2014 RT stock shocks, but much firmer/more level for faster cornering speeds!!
Len at Pitbull really knows how to set up Elka stage 1+ shocks on Spyder RT's for much faster cornering speed!!!
I have 2011 Elka stage 5 front shocks (with stiffer 325# Eibach springs, 1" preload); Elka stage 1+ in rear, on my 2014 RT.
Elka does not make the stage 5 Elka's anymore; just stage 1+ rebound (all that most riders need).
I raced/rode dirt bikes in California Desert for 31 years so know how to adjust high speed compression to soften small freeway bumps, low speed compression for cornering, rebound, and spring preload for ride height (4 1/2" ground clearance).
(not trying to brag, but my 2014 RT-S with Elka's will take a 30 mph yellow sign posted speed corner, at 65 mph: NO Nanny!
Niles888 Elka info for 2014 RT is spot on also.
Also (Lamont's cat-delete stainless steel exhaust bypass pipe is a noticeable increase in torque pulling power).
Enjoy.
Jim

cuznjohn
05-24-2014, 03:32 AM
i will be honest, i didn't get too many miles under my belt yesterday with the new 14b but the front end felt pretty good and the bike tracked in a straight line

spyder-dude
05-24-2014, 08:23 PM
I had the BajaRon sway bar installed on my 2014 RTS shortly after buying it and results was great. I thought to myself that it couldn't perform better. While at spyderfest I had the Elkas put on as they had a guarantee if I didn't see any improvements that they would take them off and put my stock ones back on. I am totally amazed at the difference that the Elka shocks make on my 2014 RTS!

Well worth the $650+ to improve the performance on all types of roads especially the twisties.

Nils888
05-24-2014, 11:38 PM
Hi Steve,
Like you, I love the high speed cornering with 2014 Spyder RT-S here in Tucson, Az mountain roads, (5,300 miles).
You will notice a major speed increase in cornering with Elka's front & rear, as they absorb the small bumps but firmer/level in corners.
Elka's smooth out the harsh small bumps you feel with the 2014 RT stock shocks, but much firmer/more level for faster cornering speeds!!
Len at Pitbull really knows how to set up Elka stage 1+ shocks on Spyder RT's for much faster cornering speed!!!
I have 2011 Elka stage 5 front shocks (with stiffer 325# Eibach springs, 1" preload); Elka stage 1+ in rear, on my 2014 RT.
Elka does not make the stage 5 Elka's anymore; just stage 1+ rebound (all that most riders need).
I raced/rode dirt bikes in California Desert for 31 years so know how to adjust high speed compression to soften small freeway bumps, low speed compression for cornering, rebound, and spring preload for ride height (4 1/2" ground clearance).
(not trying to brag, but my 2014 RT-S with Elka's will take a 30 mph yellow sign posted speed corner, at 65 mph: NO Nanny!
Niles888 Elka info for 2014 RT is spot on also.
Also (Lamont's cat-delete stainless steel exhaust bypass pipe is a noticeable increase in torque pulling power).
Enjoy.
Jim
88923 Hi Jim. Where are you checking your ride height. And is that with a rider on the seat?
Thanks

spyderyderjim
05-25-2014, 09:30 PM
Hi Jim. Where are you checking your ride height. And is that with a rider on the seat?
Thanks

I check 2014 RT ride height under front part of frame to ground 4 1/2" on mine.
No rider. Just a reference for me for difference of about 1/2" lower with 2011 Elka's vs 2014 stock shocks.
My Elka stage 5 shock is 2011 and shorter than 2014 stock shock; so I am ok with ground clearance.
(Just got back from (620 miles) ride up Devil's Hwy (Hwy 191 from Safford, AZ north to Springerville).
Awesome road of about 497 of 15 mph switchbacks and almost 1200 curves!!!
People say it is like riding the "Dragon" 5 times in a row)!!
Jim
http://www.motorcycleroads.com/75/17/Arizona/Coronado-Trail.html

RTVIPER
05-25-2014, 09:51 PM
No rider. Just a reference for me for difference of about 1/2" lower with 2011 Elka's vs 2014 stock shocks.
My Elka stage 5 shock is 2011 and shorter than 2014 stock shock; so I am ok with ground clearance.
(Just got back from (620 miles) ride up Devil's Hwy (Hwy 191 from Safford, AZ north to Springerville).
Jim
http://www.motorcycleroads.com/75/17/Arizona/Coronado-Trail.html

It was an awesome ride Jim. :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap: Back in August :yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes:

Nils888
05-26-2014, 09:51 AM
Jim
http://www.motorcycleroads.com/75/17/Arizona/Coronado-Trail.html Thanks for the info Jim.

I will have to put that road on the list!!!:yes:

Myoutdoors
05-26-2014, 09:41 PM
Coming from the snowmobiling world, I can appreciate a good set of shocks. I really wish Fox made the Floats for the spyders...the are springless and only use a little hand pump to fill or release the air. I contacted Fox and they agreed it would be a nice fit. Who knows, maybe we'll have more options someday.