PDA

View Full Version : riding the brake

Questions
05-22-2014, 10:52 PM
How do you all of you keep from riding the brake in a 2012 RT sm5. I notice that my foot is awful close to the brake lever and pedal at times. I would hope there is some play before the brakes actually engage so you dont burn up the pads.? :yikes:

BLUEKNIGHT911
05-22-2014, 10:58 PM
How do you all of you keep from riding the brake in a 2012 RT sm5. I notice that my foot is awful close to the brake lever and pedal at times. I would hope there is some play before the brakes actually engage so you dont burn up the pads.? :yikes:

If it's that much of a problem ....trim off a 1/4 inch or so.......I did ,,,,but I re-placed the pad first with a piece of galvanized sheet metal that I had made teeth ( for traction ) in with a nail.........works lots better IMHO.......and your foot never slips off in the RAIN :yikes: :thumbup: :yes::yes::yes::yes:.....Mike

Chupaca
05-22-2014, 11:14 PM
if you ride the brakes the nanny will let you know...you will get a brake failure message...:yikes:

jwulf74
05-22-2014, 11:38 PM
I keep my heel on the peg and my toe right along side the brake pedal so I know where it is, but not pressing down on it at all... in fact I actually like to hook the lip on the bottom of my boot on the underside of the brake pedal and lift up a bit on it when getting settled in for riding.

project.618
05-22-2014, 11:50 PM

Get seal floorboards installed they work very well for me.

mrfats
05-23-2014, 03:47 AM
I have floorboards from Diamond R Accessories. Never a problem. Look at their website. They're a SL sponsor.

Bob Denman
05-23-2014, 07:06 AM
"Relax..!! if you ride the brakes the nanny will let you know...you will get a brake failure message...:yikes:"

:agree: If you end up riding the brakes... :shocked:
...Nanny will let you know the error of your ways LONG before the brake pads start getting nervous! :yikes:

StanProff
05-23-2014, 07:17 AM
I've never had a problem with foot riding the brake. I don't ride with my foot hovering over the brake pedal, it's always to the side of it. Simply make a habit of keeping your foot beside the peddle and not on it. I've ridden motorcycles for the past 40+ years and it is no different. My 2010 RTS has pegs and not floorboards, same as a motorcycle. foot is always on the peg beside the brake peddle and not hovering on it.

happyspyder2039
05-23-2014, 07:28 AM
How do you all of you keep from riding the brake in a 2012 RT sm5. I notice that my foot is awful close to the brake lever and pedal at times. I would hope there is some play before the brakes actually engage so you dont burn up the pads.? :yikes:BRakes! these things have BRAKES!!! I just down shift

ARtraveler
05-23-2014, 02:19 PM
It's a learned thing to keep away from the brake pedal with the toe, etc.

Nanny woke me up the first time I did it. I was wearing a new pair of boots and the foot position was a little different. Also went to Seal floorboards and that gave a bit more room to place the foot.

Big Arm
05-23-2014, 02:39 PM
if you ride the brakes the nanny will let you know...:yikes:

[QUOTE=Bob Denman;815061
:agree: If you end up riding the brakes... :shocked:
...Nanny will let you know the error of your ways LONG before the brake pads start getting nervous! :yikes:[/QUOTE]

The OP said that he had a Manual shift.........correct me if I'm wrong, but I think with a manual, you can ride the brake all day long, and the "nanny" won't mind. :dontknow:
Why I say this, is I followed a rider with the manual shift for at least 5 miles with his foot on the break, and he had no problems. (other than break wear)

StanProff
05-23-2014, 03:20 PM
The OP said that he had a Manual shift.........correct me if I'm wrong, but I think with a manual, you can ride the brake all day long, and the "nanny" won't mind. :dontknow:
Why I say this, is I followed a rider with the manual shift for at least 5 miles with his foot on the break, and he had no problems. (other than break wear)

Hmmmm,, I havent heard this before. Mine is a manual shift but I never ride the brake so I don't know it Nanny cares on the SM5 or not.:dontknow:
Maybe someone else could chime in and let us know for sure.

Bob Denman
05-23-2014, 05:13 PM
If you ride the brake... :lecturef_smilie: Nanny will strike!! :shocked:

Omcge
05-23-2014, 05:54 PM

I put a red Led in my dash wired into the brakes just as a reminder, also did the turn signals.

Big Arm
05-24-2014, 07:34 PM
if you ride the brakes the nanny will let you know...you will get a brake failure message...:yikes:

[QUOTE=Bob Denman;815346]If you ride the brake... :lecturef_smilie: Nanny will strike!! :shocked:

Well, since I have an '08 GS Manual, last night I rode the brakes two different times, for three miles each time, with the wife following me, letting me know that I was definitely on the brake pedal.
No brake failure message, and no Nanny !!!
The night before, in loose gravel, the Nanny did let me know she was alive and well !!!
Thoughts ?????

Flanker
05-24-2014, 07:58 PM
I've never had a problem with foot riding the brake. I don't ride with my foot hovering over the brake pedal, it's always to the side of it. Simply make a habit of keeping your foot beside the peddle and not on it. I've ridden motorcycles for the past 40+ years and it is no different. My 2010 RTS has pegs and not floorboards, same as a motorcycle. foot is always on the peg beside the brake peddle and not hovering on it.

Well said, ditto for me.