PDA

View Full Version : What Do You Wear?

DJFaninTN
05-22-2014, 10:29 PM
So let's say you are going on a few days trip. Basically four lane divided highway and speed limit around 55 - 65mph. The temps are going to be around 90 with full sunshine. What are you going to wear? Are you going with a full textile or mesh jacket or maybe just a long sleeve tee shirt? Or are you totally crazy and are willing to go with shorts and a short sleeve tee shirt???

Of course you would be wearing a helmet as well.

We were having a discussion tonight with a friend and I wanted to see what most others would be saying.

Guesswho
05-22-2014, 10:34 PM
Being in the military I get to wear the full get-up no matter how hot it is. :banghead: I usually just go with a long sleeve shirt, jeans, boots, gloves and full face helmet. Sometimes i'm thankful I have to wear it all, especially when bugs hit me at 70mph!

Jwenzen
05-22-2014, 10:35 PM
So let's say you are going on a few days trip. Basically four lane divided highway and speed limit around 55 - 65mph. The temps are going to be around 90 with full sunshine. What are you going to wear? Are you going with a full textile or mesh jacket or maybe just a long sleeve tee shirt? Or are you totally crazy and are willing to go with shorts and a short sleeve tee shirt???

We were having a discussion tonight with a friend and I wanted to see what most others would be saying.

Sunscreen...sorry, couldn't help it.

Chupaca
05-22-2014, 10:37 PM
We would be in long sleeve T's good ryding pants solid lace on shoes or shorty boots and " heat away " under it all. Perhaps our water beaded kerchiefs...this will keep us cool. This is according to the roads mentioned...:ohyea::ohyea:

Dan_Ashley
05-22-2014, 10:54 PM

3/4 Helmet w/Flip Up Face Shield
Prescription Photo Gray Goggles
Long Sleeve T Shirt
Mesh Gloves
Mesh Jacket w/liner in Saddle Bag
Jeans
Leather Motorcycle Boots
Optional: Ear Plugs (depending on time on super slab)
Cooling Vest Wet In Saddlebag

NZSpyderRyder
05-22-2014, 11:41 PM
Shorts, T and jangles.
and of course my helmet.

AbNormy
05-23-2014, 12:53 AM
Nolan N104 or HJC First Gear Mesh Pants & Jacket, mesh gloves Alpine Boots and a clear head! Don't have any skin or brains to spare!

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

cptjam
05-23-2014, 01:52 AM
All The Gear, All The Time!
Boots, jeans, Aerostich jacket, coolvest, Shoei helmet, gloves.
Remember, You don't get to pick the day you crash!

mrfats
05-23-2014, 03:39 AM
I was new to the riding world when I bought my Spyder in 2011. I always remember reading on SL, "dress for the slide, not for the ride." You can't have too much protection...

eagleeye299
05-23-2014, 04:47 AM
ATGAT in summer it's mesh jacket and pants and riding boots. Never had an issue where it was to hot

Mspiv
05-23-2014, 05:23 AM
Hi visibility mesh jacket
Mesh riding pants with rain liner in. Zipped half way down if needed
Hi riding boots
Cooling gear if needed
Camel back filled with ice, worn inside the mesh jacket if temp.s are desert extreme

oh yeah ATGATT

03hdjill
05-23-2014, 05:28 AM
Either Joe Rocket or Can Am riding suit, Cruiserworks boots,riding gloves, and Scorpion modular helmet.

Silvervette05
05-23-2014, 05:31 AM
Helmet, long sleeve t shirt, high top boots, jeans, summer gloves, sun screen on face and back of neck,
Jacket in the trunk, oh by the way helmet is full face :thumbup:

sddinnh
05-23-2014, 05:50 AM
Nolan N44 helmet
Mesh backed leather gloves
Mesh jacket
Kevlar lined jeans (or mesh riding pants depending on my mood)
Mesh Motorcycle Boots
LD comfort short sleeve undershirt
LD comfort shorts

I have a buddy who teaches MSF & if he ever caught me not dressing for the "Crash", trike of no trike, he'd be very, very mad at me :lecturef_smilie:

Mspiv
05-23-2014, 06:22 AM
[QUOTE=
I have a buddy who teaches MSF & if he ever caught me not dressing for the "Crash", trike of no trike, he'd be very, very mad at me :lecturef_smilie:[/QUOTE]

X2

Red RT-S
05-23-2014, 06:39 AM
Modular helmet
T-shirt
Mesh jacket w/armour
cooling vest
jeans w/leather chaps
leather boots
ventilated leather gloves

MouthPiece
05-23-2014, 06:56 AM
Shorts, tee shirt and tennis shoes.

Chris

Bob Denman
05-23-2014, 07:03 AM
Modular Helmet
Mesh Jacket
Leather Gloves
Blue Jeans
RT Touring boots...

...And a smile! 88876

Socks and underwear are an assumed item... :shocked:

DJFaninTN
05-23-2014, 07:45 AM
i am more of jacket of some short kind of guy, jeans, boots, helmet. been wearing my high viz first gear kilimanjaro jacket most of the time. now since it is getting 90 that is warm.

tried a mesh jacket from cycle gear and it was hotter than my first gear jacket :shocked:. that one went back quickly. very poor airflow.

i hate being around those big rigs and bugs come back and whack you pretty hard.

if its a quick run to town to eat mexican than I might just go tee shirt, helmet and jeans.

lyonsden
05-23-2014, 08:15 AM
1/2 Helmet
T-Shirt
Jeans or shorts
low top hiking boots.

:yes:

Tango
05-23-2014, 10:16 AM
We both have Aerostich R3's on order. Custom made to our, shall we say different shapes. :shemademe_smilie::roflblack: It's their new military grade goretex suits. Both of us wear Neotec helmets; gloves; I wear Sidi Canyon boots, she wears hiking boots. :thumbup: Tom :trike:

Dan_Ashley
05-23-2014, 12:03 PM
i am more of jacket of some short kind of guy, jeans, boots, helmet. been wearing my high viz first gear kilimanjaro jacket most of the time. now since it is getting 90 that is warm.

tried a mesh jacket from cycle gear and it was hotter than my first gear jacket :shocked:. that one went back quickly. very poor airflow.

i hate being around those big rigs and bugs come back and whack you pretty hard.

if its a quick run to town to eat mexican than I might just go tee shirt, helmet and jeans.I have a mesh jacket from Tourmaster. It has a zip out liner that is real good. The jacket is a very nice jacket. Lots of zippers, Velcro adjustments, etc. And the zip out liner is pretty warm on a chilly day--not perfect for cold weather--but when the temps get into the high 60's it works just fine.

yamahog
05-23-2014, 12:24 PM
Under armor long sleeve t under a pocket tee, maybe my can am summer wind breaker, and I always wear denim jeans, ankle high hiking style shoes or military style, either 3/4 helmet or doo rag and sunglasses depending on my mood and sweat factor. :bbq:

bcoulter19
05-23-2014, 12:31 PM
I have a mesh Jacket(wish I could find something cooler),full face helmet, mesh back leather gloves, Cowboy boots, Jeans if I'm going to work becaus all of this is required.

everything above but the mesh jacket otherwise.

Magdave
05-23-2014, 12:53 PM
Golf Shorts & Shirt covered by full Mesh First Gear suit & Steel toes sneakers. 3/4 helmet with flip down sunshade ( Gmax 67) is what I and my bride wear together. If we are going to stop at the beach switch Bathing suit and Tee for golf wear.:thumbup:

Magdave
05-23-2014, 12:56 PM

Exactly been there got wacked Still have a bad sinus from young and stupid days at 100mph+ bug into nose injection.

Bob Denman
05-23-2014, 01:02 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cg52C-no-C4

flaggerphil
05-23-2014, 01:12 PM
Shoei RF 1100 helmet
Tourmaster Cruiser 2 gel gloves
Long sleeve hi-viz t-shirt
Jeans
Lightweight 3/4 boots
Rain jacket in the saddlebags.

Which is pretty much what I wear all the time when I'm riding down here.

ARtraveler
05-23-2014, 02:37 PM
Since we have been experiencing a "hot" spring here (70's), I have been able to wear my summer gear for the last month or so.

:ani29:: Helmet: Nolan N43 or N44 modular.
:ani29:: Jacket: Mesh jacket or my perforated leather Firstgear. Now a discontinued item.
:ani29:: Kevlar lined jeans.
:ani29:: Leather Harness boots.
:ani29:: Fingerless gloves or light summer gloves with the knuckle protectors built in.

As a few others have said, you can't pick the time of the accident or the gear that you will need.

A few fallacies that can be picked from my above selection, but better than no protective gear at all.

CentralCoastCA
05-23-2014, 03:00 PM
ATGATT - all the gear, all the time. And plenty of hydration and stretch breaks to cool off

mindman
05-23-2014, 03:42 PM
ATGATT Baby!
On the Spyder:
Schuberth C3 Helmet
Olympia Motosports GT Air Transition Jacket
Olympia Motosports Mesh pants or Sliders Kevlar Jeans with knee armor
Good pair of gloves
Revit motorcycle boots (over the ankle length)
Underneath the mesh pants...definitely no shorts (don't need polyester mesh grinding into my skin)
Under the jacket....short sleeve t-shirt

On the BMW two wheeler substitute a Motoport Mesh Kevlar one piece suit for the jacket and pants.
Underneath: t-shirt and shorts.

Deanna777
05-23-2014, 04:48 PM
I was new to the riding world when I bought my Spyder in 2011. I always remember reading on SL, "dress for the slide, not for the ride." You can't have too much protection...:agree: Deanna777

ruthie
05-23-2014, 05:08 PM
ATGAT in summer it's mesh jacket and pants and riding boots. Never had an issue where it was to hot

Same here. ATGAT. On the back roads I may have jeans no riding pants. Also a full face helmet.

Bob Denman
05-23-2014, 05:12 PM
Same here. ATGAT. On the back roads I may have jeans no riding pants. Also a full face helmet.

Speaking of jeans and riding pants; where's a good spot to purchase kevlar-reinforced riding jeans? :dontknow:

sddinnh
05-23-2014, 05:15 PM
Speaking of jeans and riding pants; where's a good spot to purchase kevlar-reinforced riding jeans? :dontknow:

Check out the ones at Diamond Gusset - they're called Defenders - real comfortable

Bob Denman
05-23-2014, 05:57 PM
Check out the ones at Diamond Gusset - they're called Defenders - real comfortable

Thanks! :2thumbs:

vtrider
05-23-2014, 06:17 PM
ATGATT for me. Full face flip up helmet, Cortech armored gloves, Canam riding boots, Canam riding jacket with all the armor, Tourmaster all season riding pants with insulation for colder climates and turn them into mesh riding pants when it is hot out.I find those riding pants to be very comfortable for me. They also serve as a heat barrier as well. I also have a Tourmaster Synergy heated jacket and heated gloves for cold weather and carry with me rain gear and boot gaiters, in the event that I get caught in the rain. I always have a thermos filled with cold water to keep myself hydrated.

bruiser
05-23-2014, 06:22 PM
3/4 or half helmet. Mesh gloves, jeans, 3/4 boots, usually short sleeve or long sleeve shirt. Going on base- full finger gloves, long sleeve shirt or jacket, helmet, over the ankle boots.

Winter- 3/4 or modular helmet. Same boots i always wear. Thick socks. All weather mil spec gloves. Either First Gear jacket with liner or cold weather jacket, long sleeve shirt with short sleeve under that. Jeans with either long handles and chaps or just chaps. Face mask or balaclava. I have lined jeans but it usually doesn't get cold enough to wear them.

I usually ride all the time with my vest as seen in my avatar.

ARtraveler
05-23-2014, 09:50 PM

Give Motorcycle Superstore a try. They show about 8 different choices, starting at $89.95.

dswspyder
05-23-2014, 10:14 PM
Full face helmet
Textile jacket with skid pads
Short sleeve shirt
Jeans
Boots
Gloves
Always!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Highwayman2013
05-23-2014, 10:31 PM
I'm ordering a Mesh jacket soon, and my Scorpion full face helmet, CanAm riding boots and Diamond Gusset Defender jeans.

OJ UK
05-24-2014, 09:45 AM
The very least I wear in summer is Kevlar lined armoured denim jeans, Kevlar lined armoured denim jacket.
I use TCX X-Street boots which despite looking very casual are waterproof and give a reasonable level of protection.

In colder weather I stick with one of my textile armoured jackets and either matching pants or the jeans mentioned above.
Oh.......and motorcycle boots!

PrairieSpyder
05-24-2014, 10:00 AM
The very least I wear in summer is Kevlar lined armoured denim jeans, Kevlar lined armoured denim jacket.
I use TCX X-Street boots which despite looking very casual are waterproof and give a reasonable level of protection.

In colder weather I stick with one of my textile armoured jackets and either matching pants or the jeans mentioned above.

I'm considering some TCX X-street sneakers. How do you like them?

OJ UK
05-24-2014, 10:22 AM
Hey Patti! I like them a lot. They're good for walking around when you get off the Spyder too!

These are the one's I have. Not for everyone....but I like them!

wyliec
05-24-2014, 10:25 AM
Hey Patti! I like them a lot. They're good for walking around when you get off the Spyder too!

These are the one's I have. Not for everyone....but I like them!
I like the looks of those. But, is that pair considered a sneaker? I guess I need to go to their website.

OJ UK
05-24-2014, 10:33 AM
More of a Converse look alike I think!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzP50y3FFyk

PrairieSpyder
05-24-2014, 11:35 AM
I like the looks of those. But, is that pair considered a sneaker? I guess I need to go to their website.

I called it a sneaker because that's what they look like. They're leather and the women's come only in black, but with purple piping. I'll probably get the non-waterproof ones since I have boot gaiters. The men's have more colors available, and have a denim option in the non-waterproof version.

PrairieSpyder
05-24-2014, 11:36 AM

I called it a sneaker because that's what they look like. I'll probably get the non-waterproof ones since I have boot gaiters. The men's have more colors available, and have a denim option in the non-waterproof version.

Flanker
05-24-2014, 08:03 PM
Well....................I'd post pics of my clothing layers; but I generally don't wear underwear, and have a severe "going to jail for offending large numbers of people" allergy. :joke: So..................wing it dude; live and learn!

jScotD
05-24-2014, 09:42 PM
armor is over rated.. I have been riding cross country since 1967 on 2 wheels .. what ever you feel best at do it.. I don't do armor .. and on the spyder ... why? when it's your time.. doesn't matter what you wear..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YctunKl2HBk

Dan_Ashley
05-24-2014, 10:00 PM
armor is over rated.. I have been riding cross country since 1967 on 2 wheels .. what ever you feel best at do it.. I don't do armor .. and on the spyder ... why? when it's your time.. doesn't matter what you wear..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YctunKl2HBk
Why do you say armor is overrated? What are the reasons for your claim? I want to know the details that support your conclusion. That way I can make my own conclusion which could agree with yours.

jScotD
05-24-2014, 10:17 PM
and that is what armor is about,, especially if you are in the 170mph range as I have been on 2 wheels.. when I younger... I have a good feel about myself.. with over 50 + years of riding... if one wants to wear armor , expecting to fall then wear it.. I have never expected to fall although I knew and have fallen.. and slid.. sideways.. I saw no reason then and on 3 wheels , I most certainly don't see the added expense..

Dan_Ashley
05-24-2014, 10:34 PM
and that is what armor is about,, especially if you are in the 170mph range as I have been on 2 wheels.. when I younger... I have a good feel about myself.. with over 50 + years of riding... if one wants to wear armor , expecting to fall then wear it.. I have never expected to fall although I knew and have fallen.. and slid.. sideways.. I saw no reason then and on 3 wheels , I most certainly don't see the added expense..
I want to make sure I understand what you are saying. So, please correct me if I get this wrong. What I think I hear you saying is that you personally believe that you are a excellent motorcycle rider. As such, you know from your own experience that you are able to foresee threats, and take evasive actions...so, based on that you just plain do not need the extra protection. Did I get this correct? If not, please correct my misunderstandings.

Y Blue
05-24-2014, 10:37 PM
Full mesh gear, mesh pants with shorts under, mesh jacket with a tank top under, riding boots, mesh gloves and my helmet of course. And since my skin is so freakin fair I wear sunblock on my neck, face and arms.

jScotD
05-24-2014, 11:05 PM
I have always been aware and Have seen more than some.. I also apply this to my auto driving.. I trust no one except myself and I have done everything in my power to avoid pain over the years.. however i did lose a leg to someone else foopa 33 years ago

SteveMac
05-24-2014, 11:07 PM

I want to make sure I understand what you are saying. So, please correct me if I get this wrong. What I think I hear you saying is that you personally believe that you are a excellent motorcycle rider. As such, you know from your own experience that you are able to foresee threats, and take evasive actions...so, based on that you just plain do not need the extra protection. Did I get this correct? If not, please correct my misunderstandings.

I was wondering how long it would take. Here we go...:popcorn::banghead:

Dan_Ashley
05-24-2014, 11:19 PM
I have always been aware and Have seen more than some.. I also apply this to my auto driving.. I trust no one except myself and I have done everything in my power to avoid pain over the years.. however i did lose a leg to someone else foopa 33 years ago
I am sorry about losing your leg. After dislocating my shoulder and cracking a few ribs when I wrecked my bike, I truly have empathy. My experience resulted in a different outcome for me. I am ATGATT. I credit ATGATT for me being above ground (not dead) today. So, I will continue doing that. However, after I saw a biker in the ER at the hospital Where I used to work, who had his toes severed by steel toe boots in a wreck, I don't wear steel toe boots anymore--just boots.

jScotD
05-24-2014, 11:23 PM
I was on the free ways of america on my bmw going to work.. locked into traffic at around 80.. truck in front of me with a 50 gallon drum in the bed .. with the lid dancing,, I was Like Oh '''t .. the lid came off and went dancing across the highway , doing flip flops.. I timed it perfectly and ran over it when it was flat on the highway... yea i know how to ride.. and i am not afraid of anything

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c93-UdPz1BI

jScotD
05-24-2014, 11:30 PM
don't know..

I died 3 times that night.. different experience great visuals

Dan_Ashley
05-24-2014, 11:39 PM
don't know..

I died 3 times that night.. different experience great visualsATGATT means All The Gear, All The Time.