PDA

View Full Version : Touring Colorado

PrairieSpyder
05-22-2014, 12:14 PM
I'm going to the owners' event next month and, unlike last year, I am planning to spend some extra time seeing some sights and doing some rydes before and/or after the event. I have a couple of fer-sher to-do items, and I was trying to plan a route to pack in as much as possible. But there are so many things to do/see I'm afraid I'll end up way off from Durango and have to suddenly hurry there because I am running out of money.

And then, reading MurphyBrown's travelogue, I realize I can just play it by ear; just have a list of possible ideas, attractions, rydes, and then see what interests me as I go. But I hardly ever go into anything without a plan. So I need some help getting out of my comfort zone.

I am thinking of budgeting $150 per day for fuel, food and lodging. Admissions and shopping would have to be extra. Is that a reasonable budget?

I've done lots of car trips and mostly just drove with the destination in mind. But there are so many good motorcycle roads (http://www.motorcycleroads.com/Routes/Colorado_81.html) in Colorado. When you are touring, how do you balance the sightseeing and ryding priorities?

I also have to remember I don't have to do it all in this one trip, huh? I may focus on the southern half of the state on this trip, and save the northern areas for later. Another idea is to ryde up Pikes Peak then head up the front range to Rocky Mtn Nat'l Park, then start working my way through the mountains back down to Durango.

I know this is kinda rambling, but my inner planner/analyst keeps jumping up and down for attention.

HELP!! :gaah:

sddinnh
05-22-2014, 01:10 PM
I usually ride with just a general idea of where I want to go in mind. For instance, last year I wanted to do the Blue Ridge Parkway. On the way down to the start of the BRP, I decided to stop at Gettysburg and visit the battlefield for a day and that work out well. I had never been there and my great grandfather fought there. Then I meandered down the BRP and divirted off for any thing that looked interesting, and ended up on the Dragon. Coming back, I came thru Eastern Tn and WVa and picked out the curvey roads on the map (again stopping at anything that looked interesting). For reservations, I'd pick out where I thought I'd be at the end of the day, used my smart phone to look up hotels, and made a reservation there. Next day, same thing. If someplace had more than could be done in a day, I'd stay an extra day and do them. All in all a relaxing trip.

thehawk
05-22-2014, 02:13 PM
I just looked at my spreadsheet projections for the ten-day Durango trip.

My planning model comes in at $150 a day. i'm neither cheap nor extravagant.

2545 miles on a 2011 RT with trailer, estimating $3.40/gallon and $25/day for food. biggest cost is lodging. mostly in the bottom half of the state.

thehawk

ARtraveler
05-22-2014, 02:28 PM
I'm going to the owners' event next month and, unlike last year, I am planning to spend some extra time seeing some sights and doing some rydes before and/or after the event. I have a couple of fer-sher to-do items, and I was trying to plan a route to pack in as much as possible. But there are so many things to do/see I'm afraid I'll end up way off from Durango and have to suddenly hurry there because I am running out of money.

And then, reading MurphyBrown's travelogue, I realize I can just play it by ear; just have a list of possible ideas, attractions, rydes, and then see what interests me as I go. But I hardly ever go into anything without a plan. So I need some help getting out of my comfort zone.

I am thinking of budgeting $150 per day for fuel, food and lodging. Admissions and shopping would have to be extra. Is that a reasonable budget?

I've done lots of car trips and mostly just drove with the destination in mind. But there are so many good motorcycle roads (http://www.motorcycleroads.com/Routes/Colorado_81.html) in Colorado. When you are touring, how do you balance the sightseeing and ryding priorities?

I also have to remember I don't have to do it all in this one trip, huh? I may focus on the southern half of the state on this trip, and save the northern areas for later. Another idea is to ryde up Pikes Peak then head up the front range to Rocky Mtn Nat'l Park, then start working my way through the mountains back down to Durango.

I know this is kinda rambling, but my inner planner/analyst keeps jumping up and down for attention.

HELP!! :gaah:

Good stuff listed so far. Add Thompson Canyon, a trip through the Eisenhower Tunnel (longest in US). The mountains are also beautiful around Raton (NM border area) take a look at MT. Capulan volcano in NM if in the area. The rides around Durango are also going to be spectacular. Colorado has some very good stuff.

jtpollock
05-22-2014, 02:42 PM
[QUOTE=PrairieSpyder;814599]I'm going to the owners' event next month and, unlike last year, I am planning to spend some extra time seeing some sights and doing some rydes before and/or after the event. I have a couple of fer-sher to-do items, and I was trying to plan a route to pack in as much as possible. But there are so many things to do/see I'm afraid I'll end up way off from Durango and have to suddenly hurry there because I am running out of money.

HELP!! :gaah:[ There are a few things to remember it a long way between Durango and Estes Park. Check with the Colorado Spyder Riders on meet-up.com there is a lot co see here if you like the hot springs not far from Durango is Pagosa Springs if you stay at the spa you get 24 hr access to the pools I hope you get to see everything you want and have a safe trip.:thumbup: jtpollock]

mtbear
05-22-2014, 03:40 PM
Also check out Bishops castle near Colorado City.
Will probably see you in Durango as we are planning on being there also. I live across the state just off 160 near Walsenburg and I-25.
Wife and I were planning on some camping and fishing in the area afterwards but not sure now.
Be safe out there.
mtbear:clap:

jcthorne
05-22-2014, 04:23 PM
[QUOTE=PrairieSpyder;814599]I'm going to the owners' event next month and, unlike last year, I am planning to spend some extra time seeing some sights and doing some rydes before and/or after the event. I have a couple of fer-sher to-do items, and I was trying to plan a route to pack in as much as possible. But there are so many things to do/see I'm afraid I'll end up way off from Durango and have to suddenly hurry there because I am running out of money.

HELP!! :gaah:[ There are a few things to remember it a long way between Durango and Estes Park. Check with the Colorado Spyder Riders on meet-up.com there is a lot co see here if you like the hot springs not far from Durango is Pagosa Springs if you stay at the spa you get 24 hr access to the pools I hope you get to see everything you want and have a safe trip.:thumbup: jtpollock]

Near to Durango is Trimble Hot Springs. Its a great location in the mountians and a great way to spend an afternoon.

Pirate looks at --
05-22-2014, 04:44 PM
Go to Telluride, the most beautiful place on earth!