PDA

View Full Version : Airbox is kinda crappy...better check yours!

AMTJIM
09-08-2008, 03:07 PM
Decided to check things over and clean out all the grasshoppers from the ride. Noticed the oil residue around the airbox seam and some of it got blown around the gas tank etc. Decided to open the airbox and I was a little upset...there was some oil collecting here and there and oily film everywhere...but there was sand, quite a bit. I looked into the velocity stacks and it was in there too, this is the dirtiest clean side of an airbox I have ever seen. The way the airfilter is mounted is crappy, what a terrible way to seal it, that top cover is not doing it, all around the filter I could see where jets of dust were making it around the rubber gasket of the filter. Obviuosly the vacuum was floating the filter...I am definitely converting to the cold air intake. Even if you don't plan on converting, you should at least consider glueing down the filter with rubber cement if you don't do some other mod.

NancysToy
09-08-2008, 03:31 PM
Good heads up. I guess I had better check ours.
-Scotty

Bionic Pope
09-08-2008, 04:29 PM
Decided to check things over and clean out all the grasshoppers from the ride. Noticed the oil residue around the airbox seam and some of it got blown around the gas tank etc. Decided to open the airbox and I was a little upset...there was some oil collecting here and there and oily film everywhere...but there was sand, quite a bit. I looked into the velocity stacks and it was in there too, this is the dirtiest clean side of an airbox I have ever seen. The way the airfilter is mounted is crappy, what a terrible way to seal it, that top cover is not doing it, all around the filter I could see where jets of dust were making it around the rubber gasket of the filter. Obviuosly the vacuum was floating the filter...I am definitely converting to the cold air intake. Even if you don't plan on converting, you should at least consider glueing down the filter with rubber cement if you don't do some other mod.

Oil in box is what most have had. Need to clean often to be safe. 500 or 1000 mile is good clean time.

AMTJIM
09-08-2008, 11:23 PM
The oil in the airbox is not a big deal, there's normally always at least a film. I have seen some bikes look like one of those stunt planes when they turn on the oil injection for the smoke trail, when they go through the gears. The sand is a bad thing...very bad...bad bad bad!

Greg H.
09-09-2008, 05:41 AM
Thanks for the tip. I'll have my dealer check the sealing, etc,,, when my Spyder arrives.

Lamonster
09-09-2008, 06:08 AM
It would be a good idea to file a report with your dealer just in case you have issues down the road. You need to get that documented.

AMTJIM
09-09-2008, 08:12 AM
Yes, thanx for the pm, too!

sabunim5
09-09-2008, 09:21 AM
Oil in the airbox is coming from the crankcase breather line. A small piece of foam filter material in that line will stop any futher oil entering the airbox. I documented the problem and my fix in a letter to my dealer. Ryde Safe and Enjoy:thumbup:
sabunim5:spyder:

draboo
09-09-2008, 09:26 AM
Thanks for the heads up. Must check this tonite.

matusky
09-09-2008, 09:35 AM
How in the world do you remove the top cover to the airbox????

I took all the panels off and it was like it was pinned in there by everything around the airbox and everything inside it..... I had to wrestle a hand up on the right side to get the filter out to take a look but I can't imagine how you guys are getting that cover off! :dontknow:

ataDude
09-09-2008, 11:10 AM
How in the world do you remove the top cover to the airbox????

I took all the panels off and it was like it was pinned in there by everything around the airbox and everything inside it..... I had to wrestle a hand up on the right side to get the filter out to take a look but I can't imagine how you guys are getting that cover off! :dontknow:

Release all of the clips (six, I think), remove the one breather hose that connects to the top section, clip any of the wire ties connected to the top section, and raise/slide the top off to the right.

AMTJIM
09-09-2008, 02:02 PM
I didn't have any zip-ties attached, but I did disconnect the hose on the right fwd side. Once the clips are released, pop the coverup, slide to the right and let the right edge drop a little while giving it a slight counter clock wise turn. It doesn't come out real easy, it takes a little work, sometimes the clips get it the way.

Way2Fast
09-09-2008, 04:17 PM
I just purchased a scooter that was made in China for my wife. I tried to talk her into a small motorcycle but she had her mind set on a 150cc scooter with an automatic CVS transmission and it's claimed 95mpg fuel mileage.

I had done some homework before deciding on a scoot made by Qlink, one of the top 3 brands from China. I was amazed at the quality shown in this $2570 OTD scooter. It puts BRPeees Spyder to shame ! I could go into more detail, but then I would be taking this thread off topic. What I want to get at is the simple solution to crankcase blowby used in the scooter. They provide a clear flexible drain hose from the air box which can easily be emptied if/when oil builds up in it. IMO there is absolutely no excuse for the leaky oil mess that comes out of the ill designed Spyder factory air box !! Having a filter element that doesn't fit the air box only adds insult to injury !

Richard

one2doo
09-09-2008, 04:31 PM
Riva makes a catchcan for seadoo 4tec to keep oil out of supercharger this might work to cure problem. rivaracing.com

one2doo
09-09-2008, 05:05 PM
My airfilter is aftermarket it seals great someone said K&N makes one also.

one2doo
09-09-2008, 05:34 PM
Evoluzone is the one I have it seals great.:doorag:

one2doo
09-09-2008, 05:36 PM
Oil in the airbox is my issue.

bjt
09-09-2008, 06:12 PM
I just purchased a scooter that was made in China for my wife. I tried to talk her into a small motorcycle but she had her mind set on a 150cc scooter with an automatic CVS transmission and it's claimed 95mpg fuel mileage.

I had done some homework before deciding on a scoot made by Qlink, one of the top 3 brands from China. I was amazed at the quality shown in this $2570 OTD scooter. It puts BRPeees Spyder to shame ! I could go into more detail, but then I would be taking this thread off topic. What I want to get at is the simple solution to crankcase blowby used in the scooter. They provide a clear flexible drain hose from the air box which can easily be emptied if/when oil builds up in it. IMO there is absolutely no excuse for the leaky oil mess that comes out of the ill designed Spyder factory air box !! Having a filter element that doesn't fit the air box only adds insult to injury !

Richard

I hope you still feel that way about the Qlink in a few months. My wife had the Pegasus and it basically ran good but it went through bouts of not starting after a few months and then we had choke and sparkplug issues that were never really resolved when we finally decided to trade it on on her Spyder. And I don't think she came anywhere close to 95mpg with it. Maybe 70 mpg. Still great but not super great.

dltang
09-09-2008, 07:17 PM

Richard

As bjt mentioned I traded my Qlink Pegasus 150cc in for the Spyder. I did enjoy it and I really on got 60-65mpg. You think the 5.0 gallon (I know it is actually more than that but it feel like 5) tank on the spyder is bad, you only have 1.5 on the Qlink. You are filling up about every 120-130 miles. I rode it everywhere. I got it up to about 65mph a few times but usually a high of 55mph. I wanted something bigger that I felt comfortable taking on the highway. You are right about one thing, it is probably one of the top three when it comes to the Chinese scooters, which is why we went that way as well. I hope she enjoys it, I did, I just outgrew it, so to speak.

AMTJIM
09-09-2008, 10:36 PM

Richard
:banghead:You're right, I should have bought an overpriced chinese scooter instead...what was I thinking?

Way2Fast
09-10-2008, 12:14 PM
I hope you still feel that way about the Qlink in a few months. My wife had the Pegasus and it basically ran good but it went through bouts of not starting after a few months and then we had choke and sparkplug issues that were never really resolved when we finally decided to trade it on on her Spyder. And I don't think she came anywhere close to 95mpg with it. Maybe 70 mpg. Still great but not super great.

It's too early to be able to give a dependability report on the Pegasus, but fit and finish wise, it excells the Spyder. Personally I doubt the mileage claims but was only quoting the 95mpg given in the owners manual.

Time will tell !

Richard

Way2Fast
09-10-2008, 12:24 PM
As bjt mentioned I traded my Qlink Pegasus 150cc in for the Spyder. I did enjoy it and I really on got 60-65mpg. You think the 5.0 gallon (I know it is actually more than that but it feel like 5) tank on the spyder is bad, you only have 1.5 on the Qlink. You are filling up about every 120-130 miles. I rode it everywhere. I got it up to about 65mph a few times but usually a high of 55mph. I wanted something bigger that I felt comfortable taking on the highway. You are right about one thing, it is probably one of the top three when it comes to the Chinese scooters, which is why we went that way as well. I hope she enjoys it, I did, I just outgrew it, so to speak.

The Pegasus has a 2.16 gallon fuel tank as per the owners manual. The brochure says 1.7 gallons ?? Hasn't needed to be refilled yet so maybe you are right and it will actually only hold 1.5 gallons ?? I'm sure the wife will outgrow it too....back in the 60's I started riding with an 80cc Yamaha MC...many bikes later I'm now up to a 113ci Raider !

Richard

AMTJIM
10-19-2008, 01:19 PM
Did a check on the airfilter(stock puralator), no sand! The 77 spray adhesive by 3M did the trick. Glue was a little goooey from the oil in the airbox, but it worked. Cleaned airbox and filter surface and reapplied 77, sat some books on it until it dried.

spyder3rdr
10-19-2008, 05:53 PM
i would not suggest glue/adhesive , you want to remove it at some point ... i would suggest vasaline or grease around the edge to seal . I and many others have done that for years racing off-road

AMTJIM
10-19-2008, 06:22 PM
I already considered that and I still suggest the 3M, I already used it once and this is it's second application. It peels right off. You would have to glob a lot of petroleum and there's no guarantee it will work, sounds more like a big mess in this case when compunded with the oil already in the airbox. The problem is the method used to secure the filter and the flimsy filter itself. If you haven't looked inside the airbox, stanchions from the upper half are suppose to press down on the filter and create a seal between the filter and lower half of the airbox. Well it's not working, there was quite a bit of sand in the airbox, more than I have seen in any of my dirt bikes. You could see dirt/dust/sand streaks shooting out away from the filter between the stanchion gaps and in the filter corners. Looks like the vacuum created by the intake is picking up the filter and breaking the seal between the stanchions. This isn't happening to every spyder, but several people have had this same problem, it's worth looking in your airbox to check yours!

ivanlee
10-20-2008, 11:54 AM
I already considered that and I still suggest the 3M, I already used it once and this is it's second application. It peels right off. You would have to glob a lot of petroleum and there's no guarantee it will work, sounds more like a big mess in this case when compunded with the oil already in the airbox. The problem is the method used to secure the filter and the flimsy filter itself. If you haven't looked inside the airbox, stanchions from the upper half are suppose to press down on the filter and create a seal between the filter and lower half of the airbox. Well it's not working, there was quite a bit of sand in the airbox, more than I have seen in any of my dirt bikes. You could see dirt/dust/sand streaks shooting out away from the filter between the stanchion gaps and in the filter corners. Looks like the vacuum created by the intake is picking up the filter and breaking the seal between the stanchions. This isn't happening to every spyder, but several people have had this same problem, it's worth looking in your airbox to check yours!i just removed my air box, installed filter back in to assy, stuck my hand into inlet and found filter is not held in place by the cover on the side, napa auto parts aftermarket did fit better, :cheers:

ivanlee
10-20-2008, 11:59 AM
I already considered that and I still suggest the 3M, I already used it once and this is it's second application. It peels right off. You would have to glob a lot of petroleum and there's no guarantee it will work, sounds more like a big mess in this case when compunded with the oil already in the airbox. The problem is the method used to secure the filter and the flimsy filter itself. If you haven't looked inside the airbox, stanchions from the upper half are suppose to press down on the filter and create a seal between the filter and lower half of the airbox. Well it's not working, there was quite a bit of sand in the airbox, more than I have seen in any of my dirt bikes. You could see dirt/dust/sand streaks shooting out away from the filter between the stanchion gaps and in the filter corners. Looks like the vacuum created by the intake is picking up the filter and breaking the seal between the stanchions. This isn't happening to every spyder, but several people have had this same problem, it's worth looking in your airbox to check yours! removed air filter assy, removed air inlet tubes, installed filter back into air assy, stuck my hand in the inlet and found filter not sealing on the bottom of filter, i also had grit in the air box, the after market air filter does fit better, napa part # 6120:cheers:

AMTJIM
10-20-2008, 01:53 PM
So are you saying the NAPA filter also has up and down play or the stock filter had the play and it was eliminated when you installed the NAPA filter? What's the difference in the design...taller sholder?

ivanlee
10-20-2008, 03:51 PM
So are you saying the NAPA filter also has up and down play or the stock filter had the play and it was eliminated when you installed the NAPA filter? What's the difference in the design...taller sholder?

the napa filter has a taller seal on top.
inside of the top air box cover that holds filter down is not level,
the pressure on the filter seal is not the same around filter.:cheers:

AMTJIM
10-20-2008, 08:47 PM
Is there any performance value or is it a stock type filter?

ivanlee
10-20-2008, 09:30 PM
stock type filter,