PDA

View Full Version : Steering

Vidman
05-21-2014, 07:10 AM
I'm not a mechanic but I do understand much about automotive/motorcycle steering and stability. I was asked to give my opinion on why I chose the Spyder over a "normal" trike. In the discussion one of the haters responded claims that spyder steering is servo controlled and stated for everyone to google Spyder steering problems. He stated he wanted mechanical connection to steering.

My understanding is that the steering is assisted electrically and not servo controlled. That the connection is mechanical and only assisted for stability and safety. Also, have the steering problems/complaints of the past been taken care of?

I love my 2014 RT. I do not have to defend that. However, some knowledge here would be great.

retread
05-21-2014, 07:35 AM
The steering is mechanical, electric assist, if it was servo only, you'd need the key on to steer it. Most non-owner Spyder "experts" don't want to be confused by facts, they've got their minds made up.

john

scooterexpress
05-21-2014, 07:36 AM
i haven't heard anyone ever complaining about a steering problems my 2011rts has never had a problem in fact i think the steering is so tight that to me is like a corvette steering very precise and quick to respond.like the steering assist when turning from a dead stop or backing in and out of parking spots.i read on here that the power steering goes away after a certain speed is reached because its not needed. well if there are complaits they will post here soon.

Bob Denman
05-21-2014, 07:39 AM
:agree: Don't confuse them with facts... :banghead:
If you want to have some fUN with them; mention how conventional trikes often exhibit understeer when the pace quickens...:shocked:
The two rear tires will want to push that single hoop up front in a straight line... you end up going wide in the turns! :yikes:

Vidman
05-21-2014, 08:04 AM
The steering is mechanical, electric assist, if it was servo only, you'd need the key on to steer it. Most non-owner Spyder "experts" don't want to be confused by facts, they've got their minds made up.

john

Very good simple explanation. Thanks.

Vidman
05-21-2014, 08:06 AM
:agree: Don't confuse them with facts... :banghead:
If you want to have some fUN with them; mention how conventional trikes often exhibit understeer when the pace quickens...:shocked:
The two rear tires will want to push that single hoop up front in a straight line... you end up going wide in the turns! :yikes:

I do use that in conversations. This discussion was on FaceBook and I don't like to get into "heated" discussions there. Arguing on the internet.....etc etc.

This was the main reason I decided on Spyder over Triglide. Just wanted a way to blow the servo claim out of the water.

Bob Denman
05-21-2014, 08:22 AM
I do use that in conversations. This discussion was on FaceBook and I don't like to get into "heated" discussions there. Arguing on the internet.....etc etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bufTna0WArc

bruiser
05-21-2014, 08:47 AM
There were issues with the DPS on earlier models. BRP took care of that. They have also greatly improved the suspension system on the Spyder since the first GS rolled off the line.

BikerDoc
05-21-2014, 08:54 AM
I would simply invite the conventional triker to follow me through a series of curves to see if he could do so at the same speed without turning over. That should put both of us to the test

Bob Denman
05-21-2014, 09:04 AM
I would guess that a lot of folks that are on ANY trike; aren't as interested in speed, as they are in just being out getting some "Wind Therapy". :2thumbs:

Vidman
05-21-2014, 09:13 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bufTna0WArc

Why couldn't i find a gullible girl like that in my youth?????????

Bob Denman
05-21-2014, 09:30 AM
You have to look for them...

...on the internet! :roflblack:

Chupaca
05-21-2014, 10:01 AM
the steering is the same as your quads, snowmobiles even your pedal cars and trikes..can am added an electric assist to make the steering easier when moving slow and heavy turns. This does explain the need to relax your hold when ryding but even if the DPS (dynamic power steering) does fail your steering just gets a bit heavy but fully functional. Take them both to the twisting hilly roads and see who has the better stability and control...not to mention the other control benefits on a roadster....:ohyea: