PDA

View Full Version : Sheepskin seat covers.

Dat Guy
05-20-2014, 06:41 PM
Hey folks. I've been reading a lot about people using different seat covers and think I need to get a sheepskin one for myself. It's hot as blazes where I live and I can really work up a case of swamp crotch in a hurry. The stock seat is comfortable enough, I just need something to help mitigate the sweat. Is the sheepskin the best option for this?

Also, I've seen several suggestions here for places to buy them, but I really want something that looks as good as it works. Maybe something that fully covers the seat? I'm open to suggestions for places or brands to buy if you feel like sharing. Pictures as welcome as always!

http://www.dumpaday.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/funny-sheep1.jpg

ARtraveler
05-20-2014, 06:44 PM
Check out Alaska Leather sheepskin/gel seatcovers. We have them for both of our RT's.

Dat Guy
05-20-2014, 07:27 PM
I've been looking at them, but I don't know which to order and haven't seen a picture of what they look like on a Spyder, so I'm hesitant to buy. I also don't need a gel pad.

jaherbst
05-20-2014, 07:35 PM
I've been looking at them, but I don't know which to order and haven't seen a picture of what they look like on a Spyder, so I'm hesitant to buy. I also don't need a gel pad.

Try Costco bucket seat sheepskin covers. Fairly decent fit on the RTS with a strap going under the seat. About $60.

murphybrown
05-20-2014, 07:51 PM
Vendor at Spyderfest..got my full cover for RT..they have diff colors. I bought the white one with black tips. The black is died...not so great in hard rain..the black ran down sides of RT. It was an easy cleanup but I still do not care for that aspect..so caution you on dyed skins. Other than that I love the sheepskin... I tried the jail sheepskin from Alaska whether not nearly as good IMHO .. When I was in 95+ Tem I noticed that not hot like it has been in past years where I would actually get burned from the seat. I will get name of company for you when I get home. Hopefully another buyer will have their review and contact info for vendor.

Eagle1
05-20-2014, 07:56 PM
Hi, we live in Florida and it gets hot, so we bought one at Ikea for $30. It is very comfortable and cooler. I have a driver back rest and it cut just right to fit for me and the passenger.
Good luck.

Don in E Texas
05-20-2014, 08:05 PM
One rider at the recent Spyderfest had purchased a Sheep Skin cover -- he almost slid off his bike and lost it --- very slippery. How about a Hawk Air cushion?

don

Silvervette05
05-20-2014, 08:07 PM
Hi, we live in Florida and it gets hot, so we bought one at Ikea for $30. It is very comfortable and cooler. I have a driver back rest and it cut just right to fit for me and the passenger.
Good luck.
Where is ikea? Is it local co? Because what you have may be what I, m looking for, :clap:

murphybrown
05-20-2014, 08:13 PM
One rider at the recent Spyderfest had purchased a Sheep Skin cover -- he almost slid off his bike and lost it --- very slippery. How about a Hawk Air cushion?

don

wonder how it got slippery...mine is NOT AT ALL slick plus it is held in place with multiple straps..hmmmmmm

Dat Guy
05-20-2014, 08:23 PM
Thanks for the info folks. I'm looking forward to hearing more, and that link would be very helpful Murphy, thank you. :thumbup:

kyspyder
05-20-2014, 08:46 PM
The Vendor @ SpyderFest for the past 2 years is:

Gene & Connie Hawkins

Misty Mountain Sheepskin Co.
139 Misty Mountain Road
Walnut Shade, MO 65771-9169 (11 miles North of Branson, MO on Highway 65)
417-443-3357
417-880-0262 (Cell)

www.mistymountainsheepskin.com

First Class products produced by FIRST CLASS Folks.

You will not be disappointed!!

I have had their skins since 2013 SpyderFest, replaced Alaska Leather skins. No comparison, Misty Mountain is far superior.

KYSPYDER

SteveMac
05-20-2014, 08:50 PM
I've tried but never used any if the seat additions, sheepskin, airhawk, etc. I didn't like the feeling of not being settled into the seat.

But for relief of the sweaty butt, I've heard the beads are the best way to go. :thumbup:

murphybrown
05-20-2014, 08:57 PM
The Vendor @ SpyderFest for the past 2 years is:

Gene & Connie Hawkins

139 Misty Mountain Road
417-443-3357 (tel:417-443-3357)
417-880-0262 (tel:417-880-0262) (Cell)

www.mistymountainsheepskin.com (http://www.mistymountainsheepskin.com)

First Class products produced by FIRST CLASS Folks.

You will not be disappointed!!

I have had their skins since 2013 SpyderFest, replaced Alaska Leather skins. No comparison, Misty Mountain is far superior.

KYSPYDER

thank you so very much for posting this information yes they are first-class product

PrairieSpyder
05-20-2014, 09:13 PM
I also got one at SF'14. So far, I really like it. I'm hoping in the heat of the summer it will allow better air circulation.

I hadn't heard about the cover sliding off a Spyder, but someone said it's harder to stay in the seat on the curves. So maybe it was the ryder who was sliding off!

Big Arm
05-20-2014, 10:02 PM
I've been using a sheep skin for the last two or three years that I got from another Spyderlover, and love it. But, you may want to try the beads also for better circulation :dontknow:

ulflyer
05-21-2014, 06:16 AM
Check out Alaska Leather sheepskin/gel seatcovers. We have them for both of our RT's.

Good company, good product. I have one of theirs that's been on half a doz machines over the years and is still good. They can be washed when needed. Mine is a regular one...no gel.

Eagle1
05-21-2014, 06:34 AM
Hi, there are 8 ikea stores in California, just check the locator. It is found in the rug department or in bins upfront. Ours is very comfortable and does not move.

mclaw44
05-21-2014, 06:58 AM
Got min at SF'14 from Misty Mountain. We rode home in very cool temps and my bum not was cold. As far as heat.....still wiating for those rides. So far love it! haven had any slipping issues or other problems.

Bob Denman
05-21-2014, 07:00 AM
"The Vendor @ SpyderFest for the past 2 years is:
Gene & Connie Hawkins
139 Misty Mountain Road
417-443-3357
417-880-0262 (Cell)
www.mistymountainsheepskin.com (http://www.mistymountainsheepskin.com)"

:agree: I bought one of their covers last year, and loved it! :2thumbs:

bcoulter19
05-21-2014, 07:25 AM
Also, Misty Mountain makes Nice House shoes. I have a pair of those too. ;)

Myron Ah
05-21-2014, 08:03 AM
I bought a bead seat cushion and just got it. It appears to be comfortable but we have not taken a long trip yet. This weekend will tell. I will say that it allows air to flo between me and the seat! I do slide alittle but I try to plan ahead for turns. It isn't much as far as sliding goes. I'll let you know how the ride goes.

chisel_maker
05-21-2014, 08:11 AM
Got mine from these people
http://sheepskinfactory.com/
Nice custom fit for the spyder
Love the comfort
Cool in the summer
Warm in the winter
Won't ride without it

Dat Guy
05-21-2014, 10:30 AM
This is some good input. Could a few of you folks with different skins post a picture of two for reference? I don't know why but it seems like most of these companies don't have decent pictures of their products on their websites, which is odd.

bruiser
05-21-2014, 10:49 AM
case of swamp crotch

Two words- Monkey Butt

bluestratos
05-21-2014, 02:07 PM
I have them all- gel seat, airhawk, bead, sheepskin and none of them fixed the problem. The air hawk worked the best on my 2011 but not on my 2014, its more comfortable on its own. Also, anything on the seat cause loss of grip and I slide around too much on a tight corner.
Monkey Butt power works but I found that GoldBond Medicated Powerder works like magic. I put in my socks, my shorts (front and back) and my upper torso (front and back. It tingles just like they say and it absorbs the sweat and kills the itch and chaff. I need to apply several times, about every time I need a toilet or about every 3-4 hours apart. I now can do the entire day in the saddle with no discomfort at all.

Now, if you suffer from tailbone pain then you have a different problem but for what you described, try the Goldbond.

Eagle1
05-21-2014, 02:22 PM
Here is a picture of our sheep skin purchased from Ikea. It fits perfect for both of us. When the hot Florida Sun beats down, the sheep skin is cool and it is thick enough for nice extra padding even for bony butts. The skin under side stays put and for only $30.:thumbup:

Bazeel
05-21-2014, 02:26 PM
Man, I'm reading about people getting burned from seats and all sorts of heat issues.

Did I just luck out with my 2012 RT-S, as far as heat problems go? I've never gotten more than 'warm' from riding in up to 110F, and never more than 'slightly cold' in down to 11F. Is this a vehicle issue for people, or an improper gear issue? Possibly a mixture of both? I kick my feet up on the mud-guard trim all the time when riding, and never had heat issues down there, either...and I wear pretty cheap desert combats for riding boots!

Bob Denman
05-21-2014, 02:31 PM
:dontknow: Everybody has thier own tolerance level for temperature extremes...
Like you; I am pretty much unbothered by it all; I'm just happy to get some "Wind Therapy"! :2thumbs:

Don in E Texas
05-21-2014, 05:47 PM
I also got one at SF'14. So far, I really like it. I'm hoping in the heat of the summer it will allow better air circulation.

I hadn't heard about the cover sliding off a Spyder, but someone said it's harder to stay in the seat on the curves. So maybe it was the ryder who was sliding off!

The cover did not slip - the rider slipped off the cover in a curve. Just his report..

don

ElgynSpyder
05-21-2014, 07:28 PM
I also purchased a sheepskin cover at Spyderfest, and I love it. I have no problem staying in the saddle in curves. Now I did notice it sits me up a little higher. It is nice that I don't fry my bum in the soon to be Texas heat.

jaherbst
05-21-2014, 08:13 PM
I have them all- gel seat, airhawk, bead, sheepskin and none of them fixed the problem. The air hawk worked the best on my 2011 but not on my 2014, its more comfortable on its own. Also, anything on the seat cause loss of grip and I slide around too much on a tight corner.
Monkey Butt power works but I found that GoldBond Medicated Powerder works like magic. I put in my socks, my shorts (front and back) and my upper torso (front and back. It tingles just like they say and it absorbs the sweat and kills the itch and chaff. I need to apply several times, about every time I need a toilet or about every 3-4 hours apart. I now can do the entire day in the saddle with no discomfort at all.

Now, if you suffer from tailbone pain then you have a different problem but for what you described, try the Goldbond.

Been using Gold Bond now for 25 years as you say. TERRIFIC! Be generous on the bottom side. A Crusty old bearded Harley Outlaw put me on to this at a Rally in Portland.

Sure miss the NorthWest. Lived in Redmond, Burien, and Bainbridge Is. for 35 years.

jaherbst
05-21-2014, 08:14 PM
Hey folks. I've been reading a lot about people using different seat covers and think I need to get a sheepskin one for myself. It's hot as blazes where I live and I can really work up a case of swamp crotch in a hurry. The stock seat is comfortable enough, I just need something to help mitigate the sweat. Is the sheepskin the best option for this?

Also, I've seen several suggestions here for places to buy them, but I really want something that looks as good as it works. Maybe something that fully covers the seat? I'm open to suggestions for places or brands to buy if you feel like sharing. Pictures as welcome as always!

http://www.dumpaday.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/funny-sheep1.jpg

You scared me there, I thought this was an old picture of my favorite Bob Denman