PDA

View Full Version : Overall quality of manufacturing.

fulltimer
05-20-2014, 02:38 PM
I am the proud but now questionable owner of a '13 ST Limited. We bought this bike last October and currently have about 3700 miles on it. So far, I have lost the upper belt guard due to no or loose nuts, had the left switch cluster replaced because the turn signal switch was sticky, and now am having the key transcever and ignition switch replaced because it stuck us with a "bad key" fault. NO WONDER THEY PUT A 4 YEAR WARRANTY ON THESE. I can't fault the dealers. They have come to my rescue and ddone the work as warranty with no hesitation. But is this typical of many of your units out in the field? This is pretty poor manufacturing in my book. Is this what I have to look forward to for the next year or two?

ARtraveler
05-20-2014, 02:44 PM
The 2013 ST models have had some "teething" issues. Most were heat related, but not a lot mechanical.

Hopefully you can get the glitches ironed out and will have a :spyder2: that is a joy to ryde. The good side, you do have a four year warranty to back you up.

flaggerphil
05-20-2014, 04:22 PM
Shouldn't the dealer have found the loose/missing nuts/bolts?

spyder-dude
05-20-2014, 04:32 PM
I am on my fourth spyder and can tell you from my experience a lot depends on the dealer. Every motorcycle or car on the market has problems but don't think BRP has a lot of issues. Yes on this forum you will hear about the complaints but not as much as the good stuff.

Chupaca
05-20-2014, 04:54 PM
problems with first year models are known throughout the vehicle industry. Seems the real testing has and always will be Joe public. No lab or test facility can duplicate what we can do to our transportation or recreational vehicles. I do understand your frustration and agree it should not be. I've been there at both ends. Making all the recall repairs on bikes and owning first year models and constantly taking them in for those repairs. Do hope they get the glitches out and you are back on the road once again...:thumbup:

Saluda
05-20-2014, 09:42 PM
just try to enjoy it. '13 STS and have 0 problemas including heat. But, now that you mention it my turn switch has been getting a little sticky. Think if we didn't have the warranty.

missouriboy
05-21-2014, 11:15 AM
I also had my (2012) turn signal switch replaced due to sticking. It was then fine at first, but now it sticks again every time on a left turn (but not a right turn). I have learned to deal with it, by just flicking it back to center after I turn it on. Then it self-cancels normally after the turn.

I also had to have the glove-box latch replaced. These were both done under warranty.
But I'm not complaining! The good FAR outweighs these little problems... :yes:

Larry rt
05-21-2014, 11:56 AM
2013 rt lt , 3 trailer modules , not under warranty ! Other then that , no issues , going on 22,000 miles. Love my Spyder !!

MouthPiece
05-21-2014, 12:20 PM
Isn't this problamatic of most all manufacturing items in today's day and age?

Chris

Bob Denman
05-21-2014, 12:29 PM
I think that you may be right... :shocked: :gaah:

Saluda
05-21-2014, 07:41 PM
until now (and our 1 st Spyder). Wife wanted the remodeled Escape. I having a tough time keeping track of the recalls ! She does love it though.