PDA

View Full Version : Installed my Utopia Backrest yesterday.

ARtraveler
05-20-2014, 02:35 PM
Just a note that I installed my Utopia backrest yesterday. I decided to give my new RT a thousand miles on the OEM seat before messing around with a backrest.

The seat is not "perfect," but will suffice for the moment. I still have my Corbin and backrest--just in case.

The Utopia was very easy to install--even for a non-mechanical person like me. Most have stated it took about 1/2 an hour. My installation took 45 minutes. The directions were simple. I did disconnect the seat shock so that the seat raised up enough for me to give a little more space to work. I put down the requisite towel to catch either of the four attaching screws or the shock clip. None fell, so the towel was not needed.

The Utopia for OEM seat is upholstered in matching grey/black material so that it matches the seat well. The quality of the product is very good. It does have some forward/rearward lean adjustment, and can be raised or lowered about an inch or so. For $250 or so, a great looking backrest for the investment.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=88678&thumb=1&d=1400627317 http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=88677&thumb=1&d=1400627302

Bob Denman
05-20-2014, 02:42 PM
:2thumbs: Have you had a chance to "Road Test" it yet? I'm waiting to hear how much it helps with your back issues... :bbq::bbq::bbq:
Good Luck! :thumbup:

ARtraveler
05-20-2014, 02:50 PM
:2thumbs: Have you had a chance to "Road Test" it yet? I'm waiting to hear how much it helps with your back issues... :bbq::bbq::bbq:
Good Luck! :thumbup:

I road tested it for 60 miles yesterday. It is not a "firm" backrest like the Corbin or the BRP--so gives a little movement when pressing into it. I am thinking 500 miles or so will give me a final verdict. I also tweeked the "lean" adjustment--but am not at that "perfect" point yet.

As you can see, I am very picky when it comes to rydeing/comfort issues. Everything has to be "just right." :thumbup:

Bob Denman
05-20-2014, 04:53 PM
I know that you've got some real back and hip issues... :shocked:
You can't afford to NOT have it pretty darn near perfect... Let us know, when you find the "Sweet Spot"! :2thumbs:

Chupaca
05-20-2014, 04:59 PM
job well done. You always have that adjustment period and I hope you find the perfect position after your next ryde...:2thumbs:

SPYD1
05-20-2014, 05:25 PM
So you didn't take the seat completely off?

ARtraveler
05-20-2014, 06:28 PM
So you didn't take the seat completely off?

Not necessary to remove the seat at all. Just disconnect the seat from the shock to raise it a little bit extra.

Install is extra easy.

1. Take out seat plug. Cut a bit out of the plug per directions.

2. Take a knife and cut a slit through the foam--all the way through the seat.

3. Push seat attachment bracket up through bottom of seat. Install 4 screws into OEM seat. The threaded holes are already in the OEM.

4. Stuff two foam inserts to stiffen the seat--into the area you cut. Attach cover plate to attachment cover bracket.

5. One bolt attachment for seat back to bracket.

Done.

gerard
05-24-2014, 01:16 AM
You sure must enjoy spyders given your extensive brand history.:thumbup:

Gerard (Australia)

ARtraveler
05-24-2014, 02:35 PM
You sure must enjoy spyders given your extensive brand history.:thumbup:

Gerard (Australia)

I do like :spyder2:'s--a lot. Thanks for noticing. :thumbup: