PDA

View Full Version : RT Vibration

RUOUTHERE
05-19-2014, 06:32 PM
So I'm working out the kinks of my new RT (first time Spyder owner), I finding vibration on the highway around 3800 to 4100 rpm. I'm also noting most of the vibration comes while gently decelerating from say 75 to 70.

I took the advice from members on this board and installed a Smoothspyder belt tensioner. Per the instructions I set the tension around 12lbs to start with. While it took a great deal of vibration away it was still too much. I readjusted the tension to 15 lbs, it's better but still noticeable within the same rpm range and most noticeable decelerating, is this the best I can expect or should I increase the tension another few lbs?

I have no idea what the belt was set to when I purchased it? Should I assume my dealer/factory set it correctly?

Thanks all!

mastertek2000
05-19-2014, 07:03 PM
It's the nature of the beast

oldguyinTX
05-19-2014, 07:53 PM
So I'm working out the kinks of my new RT (first time Spyder owner), I finding vibration on the highway around 3800 to 4100 rpm. I'm also noting most of the vibration comes while gently decelerating from say 75 to 70.

I took the advice from members on this board and installed a Smoothspyder belt tensioner. Per the instructions I set the tension around 12lbs to start with. While it took a great deal of vibration away it was still too much. I readjusted the tension to 15 lbs, it's better but still noticeable within the same rpm range and most noticeable decelerating, is this the best I can expect or should I increase the tension another few lbs?

I have no idea what the belt was set to when I purchased it? Should I assume my dealer/factory set it correctly?

Thanks all!
Do not assume anything from your dealer, unless you you know them to be competent and through. You will never eliminate all of the vibration, even with the SmoothSpyder Belt Tensioner. Having said that, it is probably your best bet at reducing vibration. Be sure to let your Spyder warm up for 5 minutes before you take off, and you should notice a big difference in shudder/vibration. If you are still unhappy, contact Jim and I am sure that he will help you through all of your issues. He can tell you exactly what the belt tension needs to be with the belt tensioner installed, and what tols you would need to check it yourself. By the way welcome to the :ani29: community!! Lots of people here to help you. Ryde fun and safe!

Chupaca
05-19-2014, 08:10 PM
there are vibrations you can get rid of and some you can't. Those you can't you get used to. These machines have the longest belts in the industry. You have already done a lot but if you are still having too much vibration have the dealer check it out. I get belt flutter in strong crosswinds and harmonic vibrations that I can't fix but my smoothspyder has done a great job with others....:thumbup:

Spyderdale
05-19-2014, 08:44 PM
Do not assume anything from your dealer, unless you you know them to be competent and through. You will never eliminate all of the vibration, even with the SmoothSpyder Belt Tensioner. Having said that, it is probably your best bet at reducing vibration. Be sure to let your Spyder warm up for 5 minutes before you take off, and you should notice a big difference in shudder/vibration. If you are still unhappy, contact Jim and I am sure that he will help you through all of your issues. He can tell you exactly what the belt tension needs to be with the belt tensioner installed, and what tols you would need to check it yourself. By the way welcome to the :ani29: community!! Lots of people here to help you. Ryde fun and safe!My smooth spyder tensioner pretty much eliminated all of my major vibrations. My biggest problem was an out of round tire. Tires balanced three times and still had major vibs, dealer finally figured out it was a bad tire, viola vibs went away.

wis2013rtltd
05-20-2014, 07:37 AM
Dealer is in order for a belt tension check

RUOUTHERE
05-20-2014, 02:31 PM
Thinking the same thing about a belt tension check by the dealer. Just so happens I'm getting a laser alignment on Saturday before the big trip south, I'll ask them to check it then. Thanks all!