PDA

View Full Version : 12 Volt Trunk Accessory Plug

RUOUTHERE
05-19-2014, 06:21 PM
If I read the Operators Guide correctly, the 12 volt plug in the trunk of my '14 RT has a 5 amp fuse. I was thinking about using it to power my air compressor should I get a flat, the compressor is 12 volt 15 amp. So that tells me this outlet is off limits. Back in the old days we'd simply replace the fuse with a 15 or 20 amp but now a days some or most outlets that use a certain amp fuse use wire rated for the same or slightly more. So placing a 20 amp fuse and plugging in a 15 amp appliance could mean melted wire or worse.

So for others using an air compressor or battery tender what have you done to access 12 volts less going directly to the battery?

Thanks

sddinnh
05-19-2014, 07:23 PM
I had the dealer wire a fused SAE connecter directly to the battery and put it in the front trunk. It's hot all the time and I can use it for the compressor or to hook up the battery charger.

jaherbst
05-19-2014, 07:40 PM
I had the dealer wire a fused SAE connecter directly to the battery and put it in the front trunk. It's hot all the time and I can use it for the compressor or to hook up the battery charger.
BZactly what I did! You can buy the connecter any place they sell Battery Tenders. ( most motorcycle/atv shops) I put mine through the steering column and use it also for my heated gear. I am speaking of the battery tender plugs

RUOUTHERE
05-20-2014, 02:29 PM
Thanks guys! Bought myself an SAE connector, an in-line fuse, some wire and built my own harness then attached it directly to the battery terminals.

Michiganspyderman
05-20-2014, 05:57 PM
Thanks guys! Bought myself an SAE connector, an in-line fuse, some wire and built my own harness then attached it directly to the battery terminals.

Today I hooked up the Battery Tender cable directly to the battery with the SAE connector exposed in the frunk of my 2014 RTS solely for connecting it to the Battery Tender in the Fall. I did NOT include a fuse but initially planned on using it for nothing but the tender. Now, like you guys, I would like to use it for a compressor in case of a flat. Should this setup work? I tried using the 12 volt cigarette outlet in the rear trunk and it immediately blew the 5 amp fuse (the compressor was a 15 amp so no surprise). I just wonder if I can use the frunk setup only on an as needed basis for the 15 amp compressor (and the tender) or must I install an inline fuse? Thanks!

sddinnh
05-20-2014, 06:14 PM
Today I hooked up the Battery Tender cable directly to the battery with the SAE connector exposed in the frunk of my 2014 RTS solely for connecting it to the Battery Tender in the Fall. I did NOT include a fuse but initially planned on using it for nothing but the tender. Now, like you guys, I would like to use it for a compressor in case of a flat. Should this setup work? I tried using the 12 volt cigarette outlet in the rear trunk and it immediately blew the 5 amp fuse (the compressor was a 15 amp so no surprise). I just wonder if I can use the frunk setup only on an as needed basis for the 15 amp compressor (and the tender) or must I install an inline fuse? Thanks!

It would be safer with the inline fuse. Bike compressors have a tendency to short and then you have a dead short across the battery. As long as it all runs ok, you're all right but ................

RUOUTHERE
05-20-2014, 06:19 PM

I'm using a Slime Tire Inflator that came with a cigarette lighter plug with a fuse within the plug. I cut it off and soldered in an SAE plug, so the SAE harness I made today that I attached directly to the battery needed a fuse to protect the compressor. So my advise if your going to use the compressor with an SAE connector and no in-line fuse then place an in-line fuse on your harness that attaches to the battery.

Michiganspyderman
05-21-2014, 08:39 AM
I'm using a Slime Tire Inflator that came with a cigarette lighter plug with a fuse within the plug. I cut it off and soldered in an SAE plug, so the SAE harness I made today that I attached directly to the battery needed a fuse to protect the compressor. So my advise if your going to use the compressor with an SAE connector and no in-line fuse then place an in-line fuse on your harness that attaches to the battery.

My concern is what size fuse to install inline. My original tests failed as they should have and I just want to make sure I don't experience the same thing on the fused setup. Thanks.

RUOUTHERE
05-21-2014, 12:20 PM
My concern is what size fuse to install inline. My original tests failed as they should have and I just want to make sure I don't experience the same thing on the fused setup. Thanks.

Check your pump it will tell you the voltage and amp rating, mine is 15 amp so given the gauge of the wire I installed a 20 amp.

Michiganspyderman
05-21-2014, 01:58 PM
Check your pump it will tell you the voltage and amp rating, mine is 15 amp so given the gauge of the wire I installed a 20 amp.

Thanks!

larryd
05-22-2014, 09:22 AM
If I read the Operators Guide correctly, the 12 volt plug in the trunk of my '14 RT has a 5 amp fuse. I was thinking about using it to power my air compressor should I get a flat, the compressor is 12 volt 15 amp. So that tells me this outlet is off limits. Back in the old days we'd simply replace the fuse with a 15 or 20 amp but now a days some or most outlets that use a certain amp fuse use wire rated for the same or slightly more. So placing a 20 amp fuse and plugging in a 15 amp appliance could mean melted wire or worse.

So for others using an air compressor or battery tender what have you done to access 12 volts less going directly to the battery?

Thanks

This is how is I hook up my 12 volt compressor to my Spyder & ATV's...All my toys have battery tender leads on them...I purchased extra tender leads and female lighter sockets (or now called 12 V. power point sockets)...I connected the tender leads to the female sockets and I can now plug this directly into the the battery tender leads on the battery...This give you an easy direct 12 V. source of power without overloading any wiring...larryd

Michiganspyderman
05-22-2014, 07:45 PM
This is how is I hook up my 12 volt compressor to my Spyder & ATV's...All my toys have battery tender leads on them...I purchased extra tender leads and female lighter sockets (or now called 12 V. power point sockets)...I connected the tender leads to the female sockets and I can now plug this directly into the the battery tender leads on the battery...This give you an easy direct 12 V. source of power without overloading any wiring...larryd

I'm in the process of doing exactly what you recommended. Should work - only question is what the amps are on the compressor - no label included (cheap Chinese stuff). Going with the educated guess of 15 and a 15 amp inline fuse. We shall test and see...