PDA

View Full Version : Rear Seat Bolts on 2014 RT-L

sddinnh
05-19-2014, 05:25 PM
I'm in the process of installing my Ultimate Seat. Anybody got an easy way to reach the rear seat bolts. I got them out ok and got everything transferred onto the new seat, but in trying to put the new seat on and get them back in, there's not enough room to get a wrench on them to tighten them :gaah:. I have them finger tight right now, but they're far from tightened down.

Bob Denman
05-19-2014, 05:27 PM
If you remove the passenger backrest; that might buy you some fighting room! :thumbup:

sddinnh
05-19-2014, 05:34 PM
If you remove the passenger backrest; that might buy you some fighting room! :thumbup:

Did that already. In fact, I removed it before I started because it looked awful tight in there and it was only 4 screws. The V cut in the rear of the stock seat let me get them out, but the Ultimate doesn't have that same V cut in the back. :banghead:

SpyRyd
05-19-2014, 05:35 PM
Also a rotating ratchet wrench really helps in those tight spaces.

Bob Denman
05-19-2014, 05:39 PM
With the seat raised; can you get in underneath it with an open-end? :dontknow:

MMcc
05-19-2014, 05:40 PM
I used a Kobalt Double Drive Ratchet (http://toolguyd.com/kobalt-double-drive-ratchet/) and this made the job much easier but still a pain. Good luck

sddinnh
05-19-2014, 05:44 PM
Also a rotating ratchet wrench really helps in those tight spaces.

I checked 4 places looking for one of those - no luck so far. I guess I'll have to wait until tomorrow until I can get to a real tool store to finish up the install. The rest went fairly easy and it looks great.

SpyderAnn01
05-19-2014, 07:31 PM
Lowe's usually carries them.

sddinnh
05-19-2014, 07:44 PM
Cool - Thanks :bowdown:

mastertek2000
05-19-2014, 07:46 PM
i just used a air 1/4 ratchet

spyder4335
05-19-2014, 07:48 PM
Lowe's usually carries them.

Yes, the one I got from Lowe's was made by Stanley. Very handy.

Sent via Tapatalk on my iPad.

Timeless Black 2014 RT SE6

R30SHIRE
05-19-2014, 07:48 PM
Cool - Thanks :bowdown:

Sears also stocks them

ARtraveler
05-19-2014, 07:54 PM
I checked 4 places looking for one of those - no luck so far. I guess I'll have to wait until tomorrow until I can get to a real tool store to finish up the install. The rest went fairly easy and it looks great.

Wally Mart in the Stanley tools section.

Myoutdoors
05-19-2014, 08:24 PM
I used a closed end ratcheting wrench and pushed down on the rear seat cushion. You'll only get a few clicks at a time but just be patient...

Purple Guy
05-19-2014, 09:58 PM

Send us a pic when you get 'er all fasten down. :thumbup:

IdahoMtnSpyder
05-20-2014, 12:39 AM
This wrench works wonderfully well for those bolts. Also, be sure to tape over or use foam to fill in the holes in the plastic under the seat hinges to keep from losing the nuts and spacers down them.

http://www.harborfreight.com/http-www-harborfreight-com-3-8-eighth-inch-drive-speed-socket-wrench-4432-html.html

sddinnh
05-20-2014, 04:59 AM
Also, be sure to tape over or use foam to fill in the holes in the plastic under the seat hinges to keep from losing the nuts and spacers down them.

I forgot and didn't tape the hole, but the nuts are back on finger tight so there is no chance of loosing them now :clap: To be honest, I did loose a socket down there :yikes: :opps: but retrieved it with a magnetic tipped rod :ohyea::ohyea: Since I don't plan on taking the seat back off, there's no sense in doing it now :dontknow:

SpyderAnn01
05-20-2014, 07:41 AM
I forgot and didn't tape the hole, but the nuts are back on finger tight so there is no chance of loosing them now :clap: To be honest, I did loose a socket down there :yikes: :opps: but retrieved it with a magnetic tipped rod :ohyea::ohyea: Since I don't plan on taking the seat back off, there's no sense in doing it now :dontknow:

Next time someone asks for help with their seat you will probably be the first to tell them to tape the holes first!

Bob Denman
05-20-2014, 09:30 AM
:agree: :shocked: Glad to hear that you fished it out, before the bike had a chance to digest it! :spyder2: :yikes:

bluestratos
05-20-2014, 01:33 PM
I use a flex exstension off of my ratchet or power driver. It looks like a long spring with female and male ends. I use the 1/4" x 12" long one as it makes it easier to make the curve. I push the 10 mill socket on the bolt head and power out or in the bolt by making about a 60 degree bend. Super easy and fast either in or out.

sddinnh
05-20-2014, 01:46 PM
Well. after going to the local hardware store, Lowe's, Sears, and Walmart and not finding one of those neat twist ratchets, I ended up using a 1/4" drive, 10 mm socket, and an extremely short straight ratchet to kind of "inch" them in a quarter turn at a time. It took a while, but I got them. Pictures to follow when I can get home and offload then off my phone. Thanks for all the ideas guys, but I guess I just live far enough out in the boondocks that nobody appreciates good tools.

IdahoMtnSpyder
05-20-2014, 05:06 PM
Well. after going to the local hardware store, Lowe's, Sears, and Walmart and not finding one of those neat twist ratchets,
I have no idea where I bought mine several years ago, but my Google search found only the one at Harbor Freight that I linked to.

Bob Denman
05-20-2014, 05:16 PM
Well. after going to the local hardware store, Lowe's, Sears, and Walmart and not finding one of those neat twist ratchets, I ended up using a 1/4" drive, 10 mm socket, and an extremely short straight ratchet to kind of "inch" them in a quarter turn at a time. It took a while, but I got them. Pictures to follow when I can get home and offload then off my phone. Thanks for all the ideas guys, but I guess I just live far enough out in the boondocks that nobody appreciates good tools.
Glad to hear that you were able to, "Git 'r done!" :2thumbs:

IdahoMtnSpyder
05-20-2014, 10:18 PM
Well. after going to the local hardware store, Lowe's, Sears, and Walmart and not finding one of those neat twist ratchets,
Look for Sidewinder ratchet. Amazon has some, as well as Aircraft Spruce and eBay. Aircraft Spruce has 1/4" and 1/2" drive versions available as well as the 3/8" drive. Another wrench much the same is the rotator ratchet by Stanley and Blackhawk. Those might be available locally. This is the kind of tool that seldom gets used, but when you have a need for it, it's great!

mob133
06-15-2014, 09:13 AM
as was said remove backrest and if you can locate a flexible socket extention its very easy.
I'm in the process of installing my Ultimate Seat. Anybody got an easy way to reach the rear seat bolts. I got them out ok and got everything transferred onto the new seat, but in trying to put the new seat on and get them back in, there's not enough room to get a wrench on them to tighten them :gaah:. I have them finger tight right now, but they're far from tightened down.