PDA

View Full Version : Strange Exhaust Noise

timeless
05-19-2014, 08:09 AM
I have the 2010 RTSE5 PE 801 with 15K miles on her. I ride 2 up 95% of the time & often loaded bags & trunks. The past couple of months we have noticed the exhaust note changing. It sounds to me like a baffle in the muffler (stock) that is rattling around some. This strange noise is getting louder every time we ride.

Is it possible that the noise is the result of the bike needing a valve adjustment??:dontknow: I do not have access to my manual down here in Florida so am wondering at what mileage BRP recommends the valve adjustment.

Any other ideas or thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Thanks

Bob Denman
05-19-2014, 09:47 AM
I doubt that it's got anything to do with the valves. You'd notice them much more at start-up.... :yikes:
Have you tried the old "Rubber Mallet" test? smack the can with something, and see if you can hear anything that's loose in there!

Chupaca
05-19-2014, 09:58 AM
valve adjustments are recommended about where your at but most have found that they were not needed. This would nit cause a change in exhaust sound. As Bob said thump the exhsust with a mallet or even kick it with the ball of your foot. This if it is a rattleling sound will confirm internal brakedown. The more likely points are the gaskets. The "y" gaskets or muffler (added heat around both legs from ankle to knee area). Your mileage is not indicative of the muffler going bad..but not imposdible.. :thumbup:

Jeriatric
05-19-2014, 10:38 AM
Pack Rat goodies?

Bob Denman
05-19-2014, 10:47 AM
Pulling the muffler off is actually REAL easy... :D
Just 3 bolts. :thumbup:
If you pull it; you can stand it on end, and see what falls out of it... :yikes:

jerpinoy
05-19-2014, 11:00 AM
If it was a rat it must be the unburn bones. Seriously could be just loose bolts.

timeless
05-20-2014, 05:57 AM
I doubt that it's got anything to do with the valves. You'd notice them much more at start-up.... :yikes:
Have you tried the old "Rubber Mallet" test? smack the can with something, and see if you can hear anything that's loose in there!

I did Bob but can not hear anything when I do that. I thought it could be an increasing exhaust leak but the noise is only at the 2 exhaust outlet ports of the muffler.:dontknow:

timeless
05-20-2014, 06:00 AM
valve adjustments are recommended about where your at but most have found that they were not needed. This would nit cause a change in exhaust sound. As Bob said thump the exhsust with a mallet or even kick it with the ball of your foot. This if it is a rattleling sound will confirm internal brakedown. The more likely points are the gaskets. The "y" gaskets or muffler (added heat around both legs from ankle to knee area). Your mileage is not indicative of the muffler going bad..but not imposdible.. :thumbup:

Exactly my thoughts too but can not find anything obvious (yet)

timeless
05-20-2014, 06:03 AM
Pulling the muffler off is actually REAL easy... :D
Just 3 bolts. :thumbup:
If you pull it; you can stand it on end, and see what falls out of it... :yikes:

Good idea, I was planning on pulling the tupper ware today to look closer so I might as well yank the muffler also!!!!!

timeless
05-20-2014, 06:04 AM
If it was a rat it must be the unburn bones. Seriously could be just loose bolts.

Maybe I will get some bones falling out when I pull the muffler as Bob suggests!!!!! LOL:yikes:

MouthPiece
05-20-2014, 07:06 AM
I had a cracked pipe on my 2010 Premier Edition. I want to say there was about 18 or 19,000 miles on it. I think it was near the gas tank. It was two days out of warranty (manufacturer), but was covered by RPM One extended warranty. Could that be a possible source?

Chris

bluestratos
05-20-2014, 09:11 AM
More likely it is coming from your catalytic converter. I had mine go on me on my 11 last spring, exact same symptoms.

timeless
05-21-2014, 06:08 AM
I had a cracked pipe on my 2010 Premier Edition. I want to say there was about 18 or 19,000 miles on it. I think it was near the gas tank. It was two days out of warranty (manufacturer), but was covered by RPM One extended warranty. Could that be a possible source?

Chris
That is a definite possibility, when I get a chance to pull the Tupperware & muffler I will double check all that. My pipes are wrapped but I should be able to see a burn mark if there is a cracked pipe.

timeless
05-21-2014, 06:10 AM
More likely it is coming from your catalytic converter. I had mine go on me on my 11 last spring, exact same symptoms.

WOW, I would not suspect the catalytic converter, but that does make sense to me!!! Might be a good time to get the bypass!!!!!!!!!!!!

bruiser
05-21-2014, 11:13 AM
This will help you understand how a cat converter works. http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question4823.htm

One thing possible is a loose baffle that rattles when the pipe is hot but not when it's cold.

timeless
05-23-2014, 09:57 AM
Thanks to ALL that replied, I still have NOT found the source of the noise but it is getting louder and I suspect it will only be a matter of time!!!!!!!

I will repost when I finally get to the source of the noise!!!!!!!!

Roy

timeless
06-24-2014, 07:23 AM

Chris
That is a possibility, but the noise is pretty much confined to the 2 exhaust outlet ports on the muffler.

timeless
06-24-2014, 07:24 AM
This will help you understand how a cat converter works. http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question4823.htm

One thing possible is a loose baffle that rattles when the pipe is hot but not when it's cold.

THANK FOR THE INFO!!!!!!