PDA

View Full Version : Smooth Spyder install video - with lots of videos showing performance

finless
05-18-2014, 06:12 PM
Hey all, I have posted in other threads already but decided to make a full thread for anyone wanting to install the Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Now just to preface this. This is all done on my 2011 RTS. So it should apply to 2010-2012 RT's. 2013's also should be OK but make sure! 2014" I just don't know. Contact Jim and Smooth Spyder to be sure! His contact info is on his webpage and I won't post it here to save him from BOT spam :)

For my videos, this unit is not fully available yet so please contact Jim and Smooth Spyder for questions and proper details! He has had this unit under test but has not gotten much feedback. Well I gave him a ton recently :)

Well enough babble as videos speak 1000 words a second which I cannot type all of :)

Installing the new Smooth Spyder on my 2011 RT:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxCtlCxfsqw

Then after installing it my personal impressions. It's my .0002 cents but I love the thing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQRHcKqlVUc

So.. I wanted to see what's going on and what the Smooth Spyder does. This is a video showing the Smooth Spyder in action!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5tTx063Cqo

So then... I noticed the "original" Smooth Spyder had a larger pulley. I do have a high pitch "whine" like a jet engine with the Smooth Spyder. I ONLY hear it when slowing to a stop or on the freeway at 60+ when I am up against the divider wall (a protection wall we have on all Ca. freeways). So I wanted to see if there was a difference with the larger pulley. The small one is turning at a higher RPM than a larger pulley. But there are trade-offs like the lower profile to the ground!
Jim is awesome to work with and the poor guys has been wanting good technical feedback. So he sent me the larger pulley to try. I have to say in the end I don't think it really matters! I will probably go back to the small pulley just for ground clearance ONLY. However even if I kept the large one, Jim warranties his product for life so it you hit something and destroy it... He will take care of you. What a guy :)

Here is the video showing the larger pullet on the same design Smooth Spyder:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xLmiOgcerg

Finally, Jim asked me if I would do a video showing the belt action with no Smooth Spyder. So I did... Problem here is it's not fully the same route and traffic limited me a little on what I could do. But watch the belt at after the 3:00 minute mark. There you will see a difference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9eVru-O0jU

In the end I love this thing. Not that I had problems or anything before. But I ride on the freeways and there were certain speeds that I had to AVOID or get a bad VIB in the foot pegs. Now that is all but gone! The product impressed me and I for one plan to keep it on my Spyder!

OK... enjoy! I hope these vids give you some idea of what the Smooth Spyder is all about and especially how to install it.

Enjoy,
Bob

Chupaca
05-19-2014, 12:46 AM
Like going to the movies. Well done and complete with explanations results etc. Are you getting a discount...?? :roflblack::roflblack: thanks. ?.:2thumbs:

billybovine
05-19-2014, 10:03 AM
Good video Finless. I had one on my 09 and it made a dramatic difference. It would vibrated so bad at some rpms the mirrors were useless, but with the Smooth Spyder Tensioner it almost eliminated the vibs. On the other hand my 13 does not vibrate as bad and putting one on is a lower priority. Maybe I will install one soon.

Jim&Teresa
05-19-2014, 10:30 AM
Bob, great videos and thanks for sharing. I had a Smoothspyder on my 2012 RT Limited and didn't think twice about installing one on the 2014 RT Limited! :thumbup:

Your last video demonstrates some of that belt vibration we feel when rydin'. I think the max impact you demonstrate with the last video without the Smoothspyder idler -- you can see the belt bouncing and getting into a harmonic now and then.

BTW....are you a sales rep for Smoothspyder? You certainly sold me ! :yikes::roflblack:

Great video -- nicely done. http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/images/smilies/firstplace.gif

Jeriatric
05-19-2014, 10:32 AM
My first drive train related upgrade.

imo
It is quite possible this upgrade will save you more in the long run than what it costs to do the upgrade. Especially so, for those who have bad vibrations and intend to be long term owners or high mileage users.

That kind of vibration can't be good for the bearings at either end of the belt.

Well done Bob. As always. :clap:

finless
05-19-2014, 11:15 AM
No discounts here :)
But I guess you could say I got a free large pulley for testing. Right now that's what is on it but I will probably go back to the small one.

I am debating installing the original version and doing an install video on that. But I need to get the right drill bit.

Alsio as to the test videos, I shot the first one myself just to see what was going on for myself! After showing it to Jim he asked if I would do one with no pulley and it's easy enough for me to strap on my camera so I did. Then also did the larger pulley. I was getting a whine sound like a spinning up turbine at just over 50 MPH. So I wanted to try the larger pulley to see if it changed that sound. The larger pulley also has the turbine whine but at a higher speed. FYI I can only hear the whine sound on the freeway when I am right along side the divider wall when in the HOV lane. Other than that, I don't here it. Jim says it is due to the ribbed belt and the new 2014 belts with no ribbs, users don't hear the whine sound. But it's a cool sound! Again like I have a turbine under the tupperware!

Bob

Magdave
05-19-2014, 11:37 AM
:clap:Thanks Bob very well done. :thumbup:

Jeriatric
05-19-2014, 12:29 PM
Bob, I have the drill bit if you need it. And, fwiw, the bearing whine goes away with time.

PMK
05-21-2014, 06:39 PM
Was it explained as to why the early version lagged in belt direction of movement and the new version leads into the belt movement.

I like the entire concept and so forth, just seems the with the tension wheel behind the spring pivot it would hold more uniform tension from the natural movement of the belt.

I could be totally wrong on this so I am asking not condemning the device.

PK

capt.jim
05-25-2014, 11:28 PM
The latest model feeds into the belt because of where it located. There was no other place to attach one on the 10-12 RT's that would lag without drilling.
I did asked the tech's that manufacture the tensioner if feeding into the belt was OK, they said it should work fine, but they usually only see it done occasionally due to space constraints.
The shock mount is an alternative for the 10-12 RT owners that aren't up to drilling. It also has a built in belt guard and is just a really easy install.
It will also fit the 13 RS's, which couldn't use the swingarm mount as the Cat is in the way now and the E-brake system is where the front mount attaches.
I would still use the front mount if possible due to the belt tracking adjustment capabilities.
The shock mount model bolts up tight to the shock bracket and is dependent on the shock brackets being welded perfectly straight, there is no adjustment for tracking.
I have noticed all the shock mount stampings are not identical either and looks like some may have been stamped by different fabricators.
The GS/RS swing arm mount is a nice unit and should also fit any of the models that have replaced their Cat with the bypass.

ahh-cool
10-06-2014, 08:55 AM
Bob, I just watched your videos. As usual they are direct and top quality.
I noticed that sometimes the belt would still slacken. Would it be better to add more pressure or will you always have some slack?
Either way it's definitely a vast improvement
Stefan

finless
10-06-2014, 11:19 AM
Yes there will always be some tightening and slacking as you load and unload the belt. Thats what the idler is for to follow this change and keep the belt from going into a harmonic vibraiton.

Bob

Dragonfly
10-06-2014, 02:57 PM
Thanks for that video, that explains the noise I pick up with my camera. I don't hear it live but I guess that's because of my hearing loss. Next farkle ordered.

bmccaffrey
10-06-2014, 06:33 PM
The latest model feeds into the belt because of where it located. There was no other place to attach one on the 10-12 RT's that would lag without drilling.
I did asked the tech's that manufacture the tensioner if feeding into the belt was OK, they said it should work fine, but they usually only see it done occasionally due to space constraints.
The shock mount is an alternative for the 10-12 RT owners that aren't up to drilling. It also has a built in belt guard and is just a really easy install.
It will also fit the 13 RS's, which couldn't use the swingarm mount as the Cat is in the way now and the E-brake system is where the front mount attaches.
I would still use the front mount if possible due to the belt tracking adjustment capabilities.
The shock mount model bolts up tight to the shock bracket and is dependent on the shock brackets being welded perfectly straight, there is no adjustment for tracking.
I have noticed all the shock mount stampings are not identical either and looks like some may have been stamped by different fabricators.
The GS/RS swing arm mount is a nice unit and should also fit any of the models that have replaced their Cat with the bypass.
So it will fit the 13rs. Have you added that information to your site. I have been on the site a couple of times and seen nothing for the 13 rs

capt.jim
10-06-2014, 11:06 PM
So it will fit the 13rs. Have you added that information to your site. I have been on the site a couple of times and seen nothing for the 13 rs

This rear shock mount is the only model for the 13/14 RS.
The E-brake is in the way for the front mount that is used on the ST and RT's.
If you have the cat bypass, you can use the original 08-12 GS/RS clamp-on swing arm mount.
The cat bypass is a really nice piece and made quite a difference torque wise on my ST.
The shock mount will be on my new website, but I have these in stock now.
Email me if your interested or want some details. Thanks, jim@smoothspyder.com

Dragonfly
10-07-2014, 07:51 AM
How is one to know to ask if one does not know that there are options? just saying.

Dragonfly
10-10-2014, 03:10 PM
Ordered on the 6th, came in on the 9th and installed this morning in less than two hours on my 13 RT. Went for a short ride afterwards and sure made a difference and the ratchet noise is gone. Only mode I need to make is add a star washer between the bracket and mount to keep the bracket centered.