PDA

View Full Version : SM or SE? What and why did you choose?

Brogers57
05-18-2014, 01:26 PM
Just as the title states! For RT owners!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cruzr Joe
05-18-2014, 01:27 PM
SE .................... Comfort and convenience.

Cruzr Joe

Dan_Ashley
05-18-2014, 01:42 PM
SE. I had a broken left finger when I bought it.

sddinnh
05-18-2014, 01:54 PM
SE .................... Comfort and convenience.

Cruzr Joe

:agree: and I actually think I'm faster in the twisties with it.

ARtraveler
05-18-2014, 01:54 PM
SM saves about $1500.00. I have had both versions. Now, 1 SM vs. 4 SE's.

I actually like the SE. Notice no difference in performance. You just lose the feeling of being in charge of all the shifting. Both the other ryders in my life would not have learned to drive the :spyder2: if the SM option was the only one available.

Derk
05-18-2014, 02:02 PM
I had an SM for 50k, I now have an SE. The SE is great in stop and go traffic and in twisties. My next bike will be an SE also. Once you have an SE, it's hard to go back to SM. Of course, this is all just my opinion.

cuznjohn
05-18-2014, 02:46 PM
i have shifted enough in my life and i am lazy now

SpyderAnn01
05-18-2014, 02:56 PM
SM for me. I prefer to be in control of when I shift. I prefer a manual in a car also but currently have an automatic car. Rode an SE for 8,000 miles and felt like I was just along for the ride. With an SM I feel like I am in charge.

Kinderhook
05-18-2014, 03:08 PM
I drive a 6 speed manual sport coupe and a manual trans spyder. I have owned auto trans and much prefer manual trans for driving fun. If you have never driven a manual trans vehicle it may seem strange, but after a while shifting is just automatic and traffic or stop and go is not an issue, nor is shifting for curves. My wife has an auto trans and does not like to drive my car. I learned to drive on a tractor and a truck with a manual trans and two speed rear axle. All my early cars were manual; 50 Ford, 49 Merc, 58 VW, 64 1/2 Mustang, 67 Sunbeam Tiger ( wish I still had the Tiger!). So, what do you like to drive? No one else has an opinion that matters in the slightest, yours is the only one that counts.

Magdave
05-18-2014, 03:14 PM
Carpel Tunnel SE 4 me. I barely have to even touch the bars just rest my hands on them. Click cruise and ride away. :thumbup:

Myron Ah
05-18-2014, 03:15 PM
The 2013 I bought was used and is manual. I wanted the se but I have arthritis in my thumbs and fingers so pushing the shifter buttons may have been an issue. I like the manual and the clutch is not a problem. Some of the control buttons can be tricky if my thumb is acting up but so far no issues.:clap:

PrairieSpyder
05-18-2014, 04:01 PM
I drive a 6 speed manual sport coupe and a manual trans spyder. I have owned auto trans and much prefer manual trans for driving fun. If you have never driven a manual trans vehicle it may seem strange, but after a while shifting is just automatic and traffic or stop and go is not an issue, nor is shifting for curves. My wife has an auto trans and does not like to drive my car. I learned to drive on a tractor and a truck with a manual trans and two speed rear axle. All my early cars were manual; 50 Ford, 49 Merc, 58 VW, 64 1/2 Mustang, 67 Sunbeam Tiger ( wish I still had the Tiger!). So, what do you like to drive? No one else has an opinion that matters in the slightest, yours is the only one that counts.

I have a manual trans car, too, and prefer it (depending on the kind of car). But I really like the SE6. The hand clutch is problematic for me, so the semi-auto does the trick!

Highwayman2013
05-18-2014, 04:06 PM
Se my wife is not into clutches

mastertek2000
05-18-2014, 04:44 PM
SM i feel you should have to shift a bike

SDM
05-18-2014, 04:50 PM
SE for me. Never have had a lot of strength in my hands.

AlEverett
05-18-2014, 05:08 PM
I have trigger finger on my middle and ring fingers of the left hand. Can not pull in a clutch handle. SE allows me to ride a motorcycle at all. Spyder has been a God Send. I now have two. A 2013 RT-S in Mesa, Az. and a 2014 RT-s in Chelan, Wa. When I get back to Mesa I have to address the heat issues on my right foot. Going to install Spyderpops heat deflector and see if that solves the problem.

Bob Denman
05-18-2014, 05:26 PM
ESSIE... :2thumbs:
Severe Diabetic Neuropathy has left me with no strength in my left ankle; I couldn't upshift an ESSEM bike! :opps:

Brogers57
05-18-2014, 07:00 PM
Great! Thank you all for your feedback. Seems about 50/50 or whatever you prefer. Deciding weather making that extra $1500 is worth it or not.

Chupaca
05-18-2014, 09:23 PM
manual all the way. Maybe because I'm old school but I like the control. I like to be able to coast the long downhills, the ability to push start if in a bind, being able to be in the gear I need when I need it, being able to park in gear in case park brake fails, being able to pop the clutch to get out of harms way to name some. But totally understand those who prefer the semi automatic. It is a choice..you have to make...:lecturef_smilie:

Hammertime
05-18-2014, 10:20 PM
like being in control -- dont like the way the SE downshifts -- can ride at lower rpm without hurting trans -- also $1500 cheaper and less parts to go bad

Nine Wheels
05-18-2014, 10:50 PM
Just as the title states! For RT owners!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Recently purchased a new Manual Shift RT. I rode a number of SE's over the last two years and I am not a fan of how they downshift. As others have said, I too like the control. It really is a matter of personal choice. Either way, you can't go wrong with a Spyder! Good Luck!

Dubld
05-19-2014, 02:01 AM
SE - Love the paddle shifter. I usually downshift myself instead of waiting for the auto downshift. I like having the option.

Bob Denman
05-19-2014, 06:45 AM
For 2014; they've improved the downshifting... :thumbup:

jcthorne
05-19-2014, 07:33 AM
I wanted an SM when I was looking for my RT. Dealer did not have one to test ride, nor any to sell. Said that they sit in stock for long times so they do not order them. If I wanted one, I could order it and they would bring one in. They sweetend the deal to 'give me the SE for free' Resale is also an issue with an SM. Dealers do not want manual trans RTs. They are hard to sell. I test drove the SE and really liked it in a few miles. Most of the control of a manual, great auto downshifting and no clutch in traffic. I have a supercar with a real 6spd manual and would not have that one any other way. But am very happy with the SE. Louise only drove mine once and was sold on it. She had driven a Harley for 6 yrs and metric bikes before that. We are converts for the Spyder. There is no power loss with the SE as there is with most automotive slushboxes.

SPYD3R
05-19-2014, 07:47 AM
BOO WOO WOO.... :dontknow:
I'M SO HURT.... BOO WOO WOOO WOOOOOO.... :gaah:
why are you not asking about people with the GS/RS or STS's.... BOO WOO..... :lecturef_smilie:

'09 RS SE5... 40,000 MILES of SMILES... wouldn't have it any other way....:yes:

Bob Denman
05-19-2014, 08:24 AM
It was asked in here; that's all... :D
And it is a new topic amongst the 1330 owners...
To you 998 folks: it may just have seemed like... :bdh:

bullant12
05-19-2014, 08:26 AM
Since both my car and truck are automatics... my RT is my sportster! So I want to have control (like Ann says). I was going for a SE5 but between the price difference and learning to ride manual bikes, I felt it was the better choice!
My wife feels the same way on her RS-S. She loves it!:thumbup:

sassoman
05-20-2014, 07:29 PM
Have ridden for almost 50 years and embraced the technology of the automatic.Did not feel like I lost any control of the Spyder.When I want to downshift myself ,I can .When I don't want to I don't. It is a hoot in the mountains to work that paddle shifter.

Doktor
05-20-2014, 07:41 PM
SE for me. If I need to shift, I'll ride my VTX, SE for me, and it was the only RED RT they had, and I really liked the visuality of a bright red Spyder, lol!

Doc

cognaccruiser
05-20-2014, 10:12 PM
My wife and I have owned something like 25 cars and trucks. Of those only 5 have been automatic, all but one because there was no choice, so we are predisposed to standards. On top of that my bikes have all obviously been standards.
The dealer where we bought our Spyder did not have any standards on order and I know they are more difficult to sell even as a resale. So we opted for the SE6. I was a little apprehensive as I've always liked being in total control of the trans. Having that in mind I'm finding the SE6 a blast. I am having fun with the paddle shifter. There is still some control and also some pluses. I think that I won't miss the standard much at all.

Gary

KX5062
05-21-2014, 09:04 AM
I got the SE6 mostly because of availability. Hard to find and RT SM6, but once I got it I have to admit it's kinda fun to paddle shift. :thumbup: