PDA

View Full Version : Windshield Support Painted?

ChrisW
05-17-2014, 10:50 PM
Some of you have painted the Windshield Support and I am looking for what paint, or power coated texture/color was used please:bowdown:

Purple Guy
05-17-2014, 11:45 PM
I'm doing mine tomorrow, going to use Plasti-Dip Matte Black.
Here's a link to check it out, most hardwood stores carry it, I got mine at Lowes $20.
http://www.plastidip.com/
The nice thing about this stuff is if you don't like it you can just peel it off...
There's some cool YouTube videos you can check out also.

Chupaca
05-18-2014, 01:24 AM
:agree: Many diy folks are going with the plastidip and are very happy. Powder coating is the next though better more expensive and complicated with the who how long etc. Body shop could also do a good paint job...:dontknow:

mastertek2000
05-18-2014, 04:13 AM
88497 here you go

fispyder
05-18-2014, 05:46 AM
I power coated mine black. Had a friend do it at work didn't charge anything to do it

murphybrown
05-18-2014, 06:51 AM
I tried paint...it dinged up easily...so had Powder coated at Pitbull...cost $50...may have been a Spyderfest special on pricing. One thing I want to get done is the lift arms for the windshield. The black support bracket is realllllly great...then there are these two little matt grey uglies!!! Just saying for you DIY experts consider "blacking" those out also....:thumbup:

bruiser
05-18-2014, 09:00 AM
I've seen the plasti dipped frames and noticed the plastic coating coming off at the pivot points. Mine is powder coated. Got it from CruzrJoe at a good deal. Might want to contact him and see if he has any available.

Wwulf76
05-18-2014, 09:07 AM
I did powder coating matte black and my husband spray painted the other little arms. I also did the gray handlebars too. I hate that they kept those two parts with the gray. I could not be happier with either of these parts. Love that the handlebars are not a neon sign anymore. ;) That is just the way BRP should have done these bikes.

Cruzr Joe
05-18-2014, 01:42 PM
Go with the powder coated and just spray paint the three pivot arms with a Satin Black decent spray paint.

Cruzr Joe

Cruzr Joe
05-18-2014, 01:47 PM
BEWARE that all powder coaters are not equal

Make sure you use a decent powder coater or you will have runs or wrinkles and be sure they put bolts in the threaded areas and block the open hole areas before powder coating or they could ruin your mount or at least make it unusable without rethreading the screw holes and drilling the other openings.

Best if you put the screws in before bringing it to them and telling them to block the holes on the back side, The Color you want is called Satin Black.

Cruzr Joe

ChrisW
05-18-2014, 03:40 PM
Go with the powder coated and just spray paint the three pivot arms with a Satin Black decent spray paint.

Cruzr Joe

How do I spray paint the three pivot arms on the bike? or how do I get to them?

Cruzr Joe
05-18-2014, 04:49 PM
How do I spray paint the three pivot arms on the bike? or how do I get to them?

When you take the windshield mount off they are easy to get to, spray them while they are on the bike, do not remove them. use masking tape and spray gently.

Cruzr joe

Purple Guy
05-18-2014, 06:01 PM
When you take the windshield mount off they are easy to get to, spray them while they are on the bike, do not remove them. use masking tape and spray gently.

Cruzr joe

:agree:

I was about to try and remove them, 3 screws in I masked off the holes and draped some poly over the bike and a painting we will go....

Cruzr Joe
05-18-2014, 08:04 PM
:agree:

I was about to try and remove them, 3 screws in I masked off the holes and draped some poly over the bike and a painting we will go....

Smart move. :thumbup:

Cruzr joe

Purple Guy
05-19-2014, 01:54 PM
Here's my before & after pics using Plasti-Dip

http://i853.photobucket.com/albums/ab92/Purple_Guy/WindshieldBracketGrey_zps428b18af.jpg (http://s853.photobucket.com/user/Purple_Guy/media/WindshieldBracketGrey_zps428b18af.jpg.html)

http://i853.photobucket.com/albums/ab92/Purple_Guy/WindshieldBracketBlack_zpsa84709da.jpg (http://s853.photobucket.com/user/Purple_Guy/media/WindshieldBracketBlack_zpsa84709da.jpg.html)

Here's my take on the Plasti-Dip.
From a couple feet away it looks awesome but close up inspection (keep in mind who did the painting :roflblack:) flaws are not to hard to find.
My hole intention is to replace the bracket with the chrome one eventually (according to my wife I can't afford to spend any more on the bike & have enough for a good lawyer :yikes:).

My two cents would be to take Cruzr Joe's advice and go with the powder coating.

The nice thing about the Plasti-Dip is if it looks a little rough you can just peel it off...

JRWW
05-20-2014, 11:51 PM
Looking at powder coating the windshield support in black and would like to do the fake chrome trim panels on the front of the windscreen. Can you powder coat or paint them or is this not possible?