PDA

View Full Version : 2014 CalSci RT windsield

garb55
05-15-2014, 05:24 PM
http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/SpyderRTprod.html

They make windshields for all model :spyder2:
I had one on my GS and it was great
I put the tinted Shorty on my new 2014
it is 19 inches tall. so it is much shorter than the stock. But I like it for summer
On their website they explain how to know what size you need and how they are made
They have pictures of their shields on the Spyder
My RT is Cognac and I am having trouble downloading pics. but you can see them on their web site
Anyway I like mine:yes:
Don

Texas
05-15-2014, 11:39 PM
Don,

I too am interested in one of these "Shorty" shields. If you don't mind, I have a few questions for you:

- How tall are you?

- Where does the wind hit you with the shield all the way down?

- Is the experience turbulent free?

- What do you think of the vent in the middle; do you believe it really helps with the turbulence, or would it be better if it wasn't there (I am concerned that there would be a lot more bugs to clean off the dash)?

I am about 5'7", and was considering getting this shield, but getting them to shorten it to 17". Do you think it would look nice on the RT, and where do you think the wind would hit?

garb55
05-16-2014, 12:56 AM
Don,

I too am interested in one of these "Shorty" shields. If you don't mind, I have a few questions for you:

- How tall are you?

- Where does the wind hit you with the shield all the way down?

- Is the experience turbulent free?

- What do you think of the vent in the middle; do you believe it really helps with the turbulence, or would it be better if it wasn't there (I am concerned that there would be a lot more bugs to clean off the dash)?

I am about 5'7", and was considering getting this shield, but getting them to shorten it to 17". Do you think it would look nice on the RT, and where do you think the wind would hit?

Texas
I new you would be interested. I have read some of your posts on gas mpg

I'm 5'7" like you
with the shield all the way down it hits my helmet
with the shield all the way up it goes over the top of my helmet but I do slouch a little when I ride
I do feel a little turbulence but the wind from the trucks and cross winds seems to be far less
I had one of their shields on my GS and I know the vent cut down on the turbulence on my GS
The vent in the middle would be the same amount of bugs as the two vents from the factory
I was looking for an 18" shield but decided on 19 and I'm glade I did because it is just tall enough all the way up to block most of the turbulence
If you read their web site you will see that if you cover your new shield with plastic wrap and install it without scratching it you can ride with it for say 15 min. and if it is not what you want you can return it for a taller one
You can always have them cut it to 17" but then it is yours no return. I would try it at 19" first
their web site explains how to measure for the height you need
Call them on the phone they are really helpful
Yes I think the shorter shield looks great on the RT
Don

Texas
05-16-2014, 01:52 AM
Thanks Don. I am really looking to have the wind hit me lower than the face, so I think I will go with a 17". My thought is to have one for summer that gives me a blast of airflow (due to the extreme temperatures we can get down here in central Texas), and have the stock one for winter (which gives me almost no air at all). The side benefit should also be a tad bit better MPG, though to me, that is more of a by-product; as I am primarily looking for much more air. I also think the 17" tinted will look nice on a black RT-S (giving it an even more sporty appearance). Once I get it, I'll post a picture for everyone to see.