PDA

View Full Version : Turbo fan cooling..!!

Chupaca
05-15-2014, 12:48 AM
Pumps air into engine compartment and cooler air the the air cleaner. Air temp off the asphalt on a hot day is 160+. Picking up air above ground piped direct to air cleaner much cooler. Not a cure for stop and go traffic but when you get there you start out a bit cooler.
88337 88338 88339 88340
Left side fan and duct...........Right side fan and duct.......All covered up and ready.....Ventilation holes lower panels...fun project should perform better and run cooler..Will be up in the canyons (if they haven't all burned up) this week end and see the end result...:thumbup:

AbNormy
05-15-2014, 01:01 AM
oughta help A LOT! :bowdown::yes:

NZSpyderRyder
05-15-2014, 01:57 AM
Looks like a good solution for getting cooler air around the engine, will the alternator/dynamo/battery cope with them ?
One problem for me is that is where my day running lights are situated. Where are those two panels you have drilled out situated ? I haven't come across those yet.

Do you think a grille in the front of the nose would help with air flow around the engine ?

Chupaca
05-15-2014, 02:35 AM
Looks like a good solution for getting cooler air around the engine, will the alternator/dynamo/battery cope with them ?
One problem for me is that is where my day running lights are situated. Where are those two panels you have drilled out situated ? I haven't come across those yet.

Do you think a grille in the front of the nose would help with air flow around the engine ?

They are wind driven and they are in the foglight holes. Ihave my lights below so ordered the parts without lights. This is why it dosen't do much in stop and go traffic. You could get electric ones but I don't have a heat problem. This is more performance. Could be they will run in reverse when the hot air is looking to get out standing still...:roflblack: But I doubt it....

BLUEKNIGHT911
05-15-2014, 02:55 AM
Nice , I did this mod years ago ( see Mod forum ) but without the fans.........PS if the fans aren't powered they are actually creating a drag / blockage in the tube and it will work better without them. I do believe you can get very small MARINE bilge fans that would / might work.........JMHO, it's great seeing other people " thinking out of the box "...................Mike :thumbup:

Bob Denman
05-15-2014, 06:58 AM
I think that it looks pretty "cool"! :thumbup:
Here's to hoping that you've got good results to report! :cheers:
Are they getting some semblance of control over those fires yet?
Are you guys all okay? :shocked:

Chupaca
05-15-2014, 08:40 AM
I think that it looks pretty "cool"! :thumbup:
Here's to hoping that you've got good results to report! :cheers:
Are they getting some semblance of control over those fires yet?
Are you guys all okay? :shocked:

We started with one by mid day yesterday we had nine but by evening down to three. We are fine and not in harms way but they have been close to my wifes work. She was evacuated but no damage. Thanks for asking. It has been rough on a lot of folks though...:pray:

Bob Denman
05-15-2014, 08:52 AM
Glad to hear that!! :2thumbs:
Prayers for everybody who's being affected by this... :pray:

sddinnh
05-15-2014, 08:58 AM
Yah, we get to sit back here in the East and complain about too much rain, snow, and cool temps, but you guys out there catch the brunt of this fire thing just about every year. You're probably wishing you had our problem right about now. It's kind of like watching the tornado's in the center of the country. About all we can do is hope that no one is hurt :pray: Take care and here's hoping you have no problems personally. :bowdown:

GMAN9
05-15-2014, 11:56 AM
Don't have a Spyder yet....getting close to pulling the trigger on a 2013 ST-S.....I was thinking about this exact design the other day. For those that are having heat issues....what if these were powered fans that could be switched on during stop and go traffic. I'm not sure which direction would be best to run the fans...either sucking the heat out...or trying to blow air across the engine and down out the bottom.....but I thought it was a perfect place to put the fans!

Anybody else have any thoughts on if this could work?

jwulf74
05-15-2014, 12:13 PM
Along with JT's air filter I put a bilge blower in with ducting and an automatic thermostatic switch so whenever the power is on and the temp hits where I have it set it comes on and shuts off automatically. It doesn't take it too long at all to cool the underbody down and she doesn't have to worry about turning it on and off.

The fan is on the inside towards the motor and the duct goes down into the wheel well. You can see the thermo switch right in front of it and the sensor is above the air intake. I have it wired to a switched relay.

Highwayman2013
05-15-2014, 12:54 PM

88341The panels are under the engine.

Chupaca
05-15-2014, 04:38 PM
The panels are under the engine.

Many just remove the panels but I prefer to have them on. The air is blown down over the cylinder heads so exits out the bottom through the holes...

Chupaca
05-15-2014, 04:46 PM
Nice , I did this mod years ago ( see Mod forum ) but without the fans.........PS if the fans aren't powered they are actually creating a drag / blockage in the tube and it will work better without them. I do believe you can get very small MARINE bilge fans that would / might work.........JMHO, it's great seeing other people " thinking out of the box "...................Mike :thumbup:

Actually while spinning they force the air through the duct much faster than wind speed. You can get electric fans but they may not hold up to the air flow at 75/80 mph. They would help with the stop and go heat. Thing is we do little of that and don't have heat issues. Did ryde some today at 107* and when rolling feel the heat from the panels cool rapidly. Will have to see this week end...:thumbup:

BLUEKNIGHT911
05-15-2014, 05:34 PM
Actually while spinning they force the air through the duct much faster than wind speed. :hun:........I find this goes against the laws of physics......:yikes:......Mike :thumbup:.................................You can get electric fans but they may not hold up to the air flow at 75/80 mph. They would help with the stop and go heat. Thing is we do little of that and don't have heat issues. Did ryde some today at 107* and when rolling feel the heat from the panels cool rapidly. Will have to see this week end...:thumbup:................................... .................................................. ........My thoughts are in the color type above .....Mike :nopic: