PDA

View Full Version : Brake Fluid Question...simple question

Dan_Ashley
05-14-2014, 04:58 PM
Can I use a non-BRP brand of brake fluid? I mean, can I mix in Prestone Brake fluid along with the OEM brake fluid? Or will doing so cause problems? (I KNOW--dumb question...but I really am DUMB on this kind of stuff.)
Dan

DrewNJ
05-14-2014, 06:33 PM
Perfectly fine. Use a dot4 or dot3-4

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Dan_Ashley
05-14-2014, 06:36 PM
Perfectly fine. Use a dot4 or dot3-4

Sent from my SCH-I545 using TapatalkThanks!

Chupaca
05-14-2014, 08:05 PM
you can use any brand as long as it is the same dot rating. 3-4 is standard dot 5 is the one you will have to drain it all and then some...:thumbup:

BonesDT
05-18-2014, 10:13 PM
Brake fluid is extremely confusing. You never want silicone brake fluid unless you have a very special application. DOT 5 is silicone (don't confuse it with "synthetic" - all brake fluid is synthetic). Non-silicones are DOT 3, DOT 4 & DOT 5.1 (yes, 5.1 is the opposite of 5). These 3 designations refer to a higher boiling point, so 5.1 is for extreme race environments.

All 3 mix together fine. Silicone does NOT mix with non-silicones.

My Spyder cap says use at least 4. They say the new "3" is really 4-spec anyway (but they still call it the classic "3" to "avoid confusion" - ??). So that's why most say you can use 3 too.

TLDR? Use anything but DOT 5 or silicone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dan_Ashley
05-18-2014, 10:30 PM
Thanks!

SNOOPY
05-19-2014, 05:00 AM
If you flush your brake system or are changing brakes out, I would look to switch out to a fluid w a higher boiling point. Personally I think they work overall better for the whole system, I even use them in all my cars.

Heres an example of what I use... http://www.amazon.com/Motul-RBF600-Synthetic-Brake-Fluid/dp/B0011E2Y0I

PMK
05-19-2014, 05:26 AM
RBF 600 from Motul. I ran that in my KTM and other friends have used it in their MX bikes. You must frequently replace the fluid, otherwise it crystallizes and causes all sorts of problems with the master cylinder. As in the brakes will not hold pressure.

Good stuff but more work. Switched back to a more common DOT 4 after rebuilding the master cylinder and flushing the entire system. No more issues.

Still have two new bottles sitting on the shelf...

PK

SNOOPY
05-19-2014, 03:18 PM
RBF 600 from Motul. I ran that in my KTM and other friends have used it in their MX bikes. You must frequently replace the fluid, otherwise it crystallizes and causes all sorts of problems with the master cylinder. As in the brakes will not hold pressure.

Good stuff but more work. Switched back to a more common DOT 4 after rebuilding the master cylinder and flushing the entire system. No more issues.

Still have two new bottles sitting on the shelf...

PK

Only reason it would be different is if you pushed it to extremes?

Ive used it in my track cars for years and never had an issue w any caliper or master cylinder.

And it is Dot 4 ...just takes more heat, higher quality. :dontknow:

PMK
05-19-2014, 04:50 PM
Only reason son it would be different is if you pushed it to extremes?

Ive used it in my track cars for years and never had an issue w any caliper or master cylinder.

And it is Dot 4 ...just takes more heat, higher quality. :dontknow:

No excess heat, just typical use for a MX bike. Not used constantly. Also, FWIW, I have seen the same problems in Avid bicycle disc brakes. Glad it works for you but I do not recommend it for people that do not frequently change the fluid.

All the best with it.

PK

DrewNJ
05-19-2014, 04:53 PM
Regular off the shelf fresh bottle of Dot4 or dot3-4....ride more, Worry less.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

SNOOPY
05-19-2014, 08:09 PM
No excess heat, just typical use for a MX bike. Not used constantly. Also, FWIW, I have seen the same problems in Avid bicycle disc brakes. Glad it works for you but I do not recommend it for people that do not frequently change the fluid.

All the best with it.

PK

Okay I think I missed the change regularly part.

I change brake fluid in all my vehicles at least once a year.

I think everyone should, but I see your point. :thumbup: