PDA

View Full Version : Wiring question?

whiteyron
05-14-2014, 03:00 PM
I will be the first to admit I am not that good at wiring and have a question that may sound dumb, but here goes. I have a 2013 RT L that I would like to wire some accessories that need to be connected to the battery, can I assume that by hooking up to the jumpstart posts under the left side maintenance panel is the same thing? :(

cuznjohn
05-14-2014, 03:21 PM
the fuse block will be on constantly if you hook it up there, i would say use a relay and tap it into a switched power source and on the relay use the normally open contacts one to the battery and the other to the fuse block so when you start the bike the relay will power the fuse block you are installing.

bluestratos
05-14-2014, 05:13 PM
cuznjohn is correct, you will have power on all the time if you tape from that point. Some accessories need this, some can live with it and others have to be switched to prevent killing the battery. For example, if you install a GPS (Garmin in this case) it should be wired to an accessories controlled point. It will automatically come on when you start the bike and it will go out when the key is turned off. You can also push the button on the unit and run off of its internal battery when you are not running. A bike alarm must be hooked up so it gets power all the time or it will not protect you when it the bike is not running.

I learned many-many vehicles ago that the first accessory to install is a well thought out accessory fuse panel. Some of the fuse can be hot all the time but the majority will want to be controlled by a relay that controls the power when the bike is running.

There are a lot of prebuilt systems out there or you can make your own as I prefer to do since I tend to run A LOT of accessories, lol. If you have questions feel free to PM me.:D

jthornton
05-14-2014, 05:45 PM
I will be the first to admit I am not that good at wiring and have a question that may sound dumb, but here goes. I have a 2013 RT L that I would like to wire some accessories that need to be connected to the battery, can I assume that by hooking up to the jumpstart posts under the left side maintenance panel is the same thing? :(

If you want a dash power plug I make one and the wiring harness for it that uses a relay to have it on only when the key is on. It's also fused.

JT

retread
05-14-2014, 05:55 PM
As a rule, it's a BAD idea to do anything with the negative post under the seat, if it gets loose, the control module can go bonkers, and it is a real "interesting" job to get it tight again. Better to go direct to the battery with a fusible line.

john

jthornton
05-14-2014, 06:02 PM
As a rule, it's a BAD idea to do anything with the negative post under the seat, if it gets loose, the control module can go bonkers, and it is a real "interesting" job to get it tight again. Better to go direct to the battery with a fusible line.

john

It's not under the seat on the '13...

JT

retread
05-15-2014, 08:04 AM
Oooops!

john

Chupaca
05-15-2014, 08:16 AM
if you go to the jumper point or the bsttery make sure the cable has an inline fuse. You can go to either one as long as you can retighten at mounting point. Older model do have a problem with the negative post under the seat...:thumbup: