PDA

View Full Version : One last time, maybe

BRPjunkie
09-06-2008, 12:20 PM
I know we have beat the windshield issue to death, but I hope folks will weigh in one more time. Stock BRP shield is fine for in town cruising in hot weather. BRP Tour shield is fine for 55 - 60 mph road speeds and looks nice on the bike. At freeway speeds, wind is pretty heavy and noise constantly triggers our Chatterbox VOX mics. I can't deal with 24" shield that may protect, but look out of place on the Spyder (personal opinion). I also can't see paying more than $200 for a piece of plastic. Before everyone jumps me, I know that design, testing, tooling, production costs need to be recovered in the price, but if BRP as the leader in overpricing their accessories can have a shield maker produce their tour shield for $159, I would think others could do it for $200. It seems that a lot of the air comes around the shield between the shield and the mirrors. The Calsci seems to address this. Minor adjustment to clutch lever would be worth added protection and it is less than $200. I really like their aerodynamic theory, but theory doesn't always prove out. Bumble bees ignore theory and fly anyway. I am 5'10", but would not go bigger than the 22" M size which is 5" higher than the BRP Tour. I believe that is the size that Magic Man tested before becoming a Calsci dealer. I also think Lamonster tried Calsci and ended up cutting it down to just a bit larger than BRP Tour. Mel's Monster Garage looks like a bargain at $149, but it is only 3" higher than the BRP Tour and does not address the wind between the shield and mirrors. Being in Michigan, I would love to support a Michigan business, but performace is critical. I don't think there are any other shields in the below $200 price range. Those with either product, please weigh in. With fall here, I need better protection, but I do not want to have a collection of shields through trial and error and checkbook depletion.

mrb
09-06-2008, 04:57 PM
The new Industries 7 adjustable screen can be moved up and down by 3" and raked forward and back by 50 degree to suit your specific needs but it is over $300.

tatt2r
09-06-2008, 05:48 PM
I'm in same position you are .... except for height .... I'm 5'7" and i just bought a used windshield off one of the other spyder lovers it is a calsci 23 inch i havent got it yet but i'll let you know ...i too dont mind the wind i bought the shield for fall and winter months in new england ...

Bimjo
09-06-2008, 05:56 PM
Windshields are unfortunately one of those things that you kinda have to try until you find what works.

Coming form V-Stroms I found that two gents the same height, same inseam & same arm length could get wildly divergent results with the same set up because of posture and/or body build. Sounds weird, but it's true.

The Stroms with adjustable shields being mature (5 years) there's lots of data and options available. Most folks end up using a Madstad (http://www.madstad.com/s.nl/it.A/id.55/.f?sc=7&category=67) adjustable windshield bracket.

The stock Strom mount is adjustable for height, but not tilt. The Madstad works very much like the Industries 7 shield/mount. It also puts more space between the shield and the fairing, letting more air up the back side of the shield, which breaks up the air spilling over the top.

I found that I could get by with a shorter and wider shield by being able to adjust the tilt angle. It appears that the Industries 7 set up also allows some air up the backside of the screen. I'd like to see them offer just the bracket to mess around with as I really don't care for the looks of the shield itself.

Maybe Industries 7 or someone else (Madstad?) will step up with an adjustable bracket by itself. You'd probably have to drill new mounting holes in the shield though.

Another possible option is the MRA Touring Extension Spoiler (http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/2710/698/). Those that I know of using them like them, but they were using a MRA windshield/spoiler combo, not just the spoiler.

It would be interesting if the spoiler worked with the stock shield. I'd try it, but since I don't have a Spyder yet it'd be a little tough. ;)

Marcel July
09-06-2008, 06:01 PM
Hello there,
sure there are several larger size Windshields available under $200 !
www.SpyderWindshields.com (http://www.SpyderWindshields.com)
for $289 you can have also the real "fully in height" adjustable also.
Link:
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=spyderwindshields&search_type=&aq=f
Don't get frustrated:thumbup:
There are several options you can use to get the right one.
I think that if you are 5.10" a Windshield size from about 27" to 28"
would work nice.

Cheers
Marcel July

Bimjo
09-06-2008, 07:28 PM
I know a guy that put it on his FZ6 shield and swore by it. Never tried it myself though.

bjt
09-07-2008, 06:48 AM
Anyone try any products like this?

http://www.saeng.com/4000.htm

I just checked out the link and am really intrigued by about four of the items they offer. The micro swirl edging looks like it would improve the BRP Touring Windshield. Of course, by the time you pay for the BRP windshield and $40 or more for the Micro swirl edging, you are at or above the cost of many of the other aftermarket windshields. Their Night Cutters look like they could be a viable option to the BRP fog lights. The Quick Scans provide a variety of mounting choices and a nicely finished look to a blind spot mirror.

Thanks for the link HDXBONES.

BRPjunkie
09-07-2008, 11:12 AM
Since I already have the BRP Tour shield, I may try the micro swirl product. At $40, if it works it would be a great solution. If not, money back guarantee leaves me where I'm at right now. Thanks HDXBONES.

BRPjunkie
09-07-2008, 08:19 PM
Since I already have the BRP Tour shield, I may try the micro swirl product. At $40, if it works it would be a great solution. If not, money back guarantee leaves me where I'm at right now. Thanks HDXBONES.

Internet search for reviews on Micro Swirl are very mixed with many finding no difference. A few seem to think it reduces noise, but not many big thumbs up.

bjt
09-07-2008, 08:35 PM
Internet search for reviews on Micro Swirl are very mixed with many finding no difference. A few seem to think it reduces noise, but not many big thumbs up.

Well, like you said, with the money back guarantee it may be worth a try. As long as they don't make you jump through hoops to get your money back.

Oklahoma Spyder
09-07-2008, 10:12 PM
spoke to a bpr factory rep friday he said they were coming out with a taller windshield in 1 or 2 months??/ Hope

BRPjunkie
09-07-2008, 10:20 PM
Maybe I'll wait to see what BRP comes up with. They certainly have had the benefit of all the aftermarket makers. Taller doesn't always solve the problem and there's a point at which it's just too tall for some of us. The look of the Spyder starts to get wierd with some of the real tall shields I've seen. It is a matter of personal taste, but I'm still looking for something in the 20"-22" range and $200.

NancysToy
09-08-2008, 06:53 AM
Maybe I'll wait to see what BRP comes up with. They certainly have had the benefit of all the aftermarket makers. Taller doesn't always solve the problem and there's a point at which it's just too tall for some of us. The look of the Spyder starts to get wierd with some of the real tall shields I've seen. It is a matter of personal taste, but I'm still looking for something in the 20"-22" range and $200.
I agree that taller is not necessarily better. They certainly need to add the flip out at the top, which their touring shield lacks. The shields that are wider at the mirror area seem to be a good idea, and sure help the looks. I also stick by my original idea that the shields need to be curved back toward the rider, to make them closer. Harder to build, but I would pay extra for a compound curved windshield.

There are some interesting aerodynamics going on with the Spyder. Riding in the rain and dark Saturday night convinced me of that. I could easily see the droplet movement in the reflection of the lights. I had Rain-X on both the Spyder shield and my helmet shield. The water stayed put! I have never had that happen, especially on a face shield. The wind usually hits it then rolls it right off. It is apparent that the air is not really flowing, just turbulent. The drops move around, but stay put. The stock windshield was the same. Nothing moved. I think the airstream is broken by the trunk and the point on the cowl, and begins to do funny things long before it reaches the windshield. We may be limited no matter what design shows up next.
-Scotty

BRPjunkie
09-08-2008, 10:51 AM
Scotty,

I couldn't agree more. I would love to see an airflow test of the Spyder and an assortment of windshields. I think that big trunk create turbulence that is so different than any motorcycle on the road that it really makes shield design a challenge. Maybe that's why the Corbin seems to work since its faring takes the trunk turbulence and deals with it before it gets to the windshield. I'm just not going to spend that kind of money.

NancysToy
09-08-2008, 11:34 AM
Scotty,

I couldn't agree more. I would love to see an airflow test of the Spyder and an assortment of windshields. I think that big trunk create turbulence that is so different than any motorcycle on the road that it really makes shield design a challenge. Maybe that's why the Corbin seems to work since its faring takes the trunk turbulence and deals with it before it gets to the windshield. I'm just not going to spend that kind of money.
Not to mention that it makes most of the windshields actually look pretty...to my eye, at least.
-Scotty

BRPjunkie
09-08-2008, 11:42 AM
To each his (her) own, but I think the Corbin turns the Spyder into a Praying Mantis.

Twodog185
09-08-2008, 12:09 PM
The MRA bracket would be perfect if it weren't curved. The issue that differentiates the possibilities of true rider comfort (touring) can be seen on any Goldwing or Harley. The shield is wider from botom to top. The Goldwing shield is even wider at the shoulders and creates an envelope around the rider.

The steering of the spyder prevents a mirror to mirror shield. The MRA bracket would (it appears) allow you to add to each side. The offset bracket would push the sides away from the rider and allow full extension of the steering. The brackets would need to allow a straight piece of Lexan.
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/2710/698/

You add the sliding mechanism of the Madstad and I think you'd have it.

Director
09-08-2008, 03:24 PM
Well, like you said, with the money back guarantee it may be worth a try. As long as they don't make you jump through hoops to get your money back.

Brian, I tried the micro-swirl edging on my Concours years ago and found absolutely no discernable difference, except it made the windscreen look kind of ugly and clunky.

Bruce

Bionic Pope
09-08-2008, 04:43 PM
Hello there,
sure there are several larger size Windshields available under $200 !
www.SpyderWindshields.com (http://www.SpyderWindshields.com)
for $289 you can have also the real "fully in height" adjustable also.
Link:
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=spyderwindshields&search_type=&aq=f
Don't get frustrated:thumbup:
There are several options you can use to get the right one.
I think that if you are 5.10" a Windshield size from about 27" to 28"
would work nice.

Cheers
Marcel July

No - stay away from this units. Very much troubles with them from many spyder users.

IND 7 or Calsi much beter units.

ataDude
09-08-2008, 04:49 PM
No - stay away from this units. Very much troubles with them from many spyder users....

Curious... do you own one?

bjt
09-08-2008, 05:44 PM
No - stay away from this units. Very much troubles with them from many spyder users.

IND 7 or Calsi much beter units.

Curious... do you own one?

Like the saying goes, don't knock it til you try it. I have used Marcel's shields and they worked anywhere from okay to absolutely wonderful for keeping the wind off me and performing at speed. I know that a few members have had an issue with his shields but there are probably at least 10 times the number of people who like them. My wife used to use his F1 and liked it quite a bit. She won an EVO III in Marcel's painted Spyder contest and loves it. I have the EVO II and it works great for me on long trips but I don't like the looks (height) of it so I remove it for everyday riding. I am inline for one of his adjustable shields and I can't wait to try it out, hopefully on our Gatlinburg trip.

BRPJunkie, if we could arrange a meeting place, you could get a trial run on at least one of Marcel's offerings to see if its close to what you are looking for.

czdaryle
09-08-2008, 07:28 PM
BJT you went for this windshield huh. What convinced you to go with this one. I tried to order one today but he was with a customer and by the time a got the message he left me it was too late. Try tommorrow...what is the expected shipping time..do you know??? Also what do you go with for the top slide?

bjt
09-08-2008, 08:27 PM
BJT you went for this windshield huh. What convinced you to go with this one. I tried to order one today but he was with a customer and by the time a got the message he left me it was too late. Try tommorrow...what is the expected shipping time..do you know??? Also what do you go with for the top slide?

I have been wanting to try an adjustable windshield ever since I saw the Industries 7 adjustable on YouTube. Marcel made me an offer I couldn't refuse on his adjustable and the Industries 7 one still isn't available as far as I know. I looked at Marcel's latest pictures on his forum of his adjustable windshield and I think it looks good. I currently have his EVO II windshield and it performs great as far as keeping the wind off me and keeping the wind noise down. If the adjustable works as good as the EVO II and I can quickly lower it for around town cruising, I'm sure its going to be the best aftermarket windshield for me.

When I called him about the adjustable, we talked about so many things that I can't remember exactly what was said about shipping of these windshields. I thought he said that they were starting the first production run of them this week and he may start shipping them as soon as this Friday. He told me that he would try to get my shield, ordered Saturday afternoon, to me by Saturday 9/20 as we leave for Gatlinburg on Monday 9/22. If its not here, I'm heading down with my EVO II in place and bringing the stock shield in my trunk.

I asked for the light smoke for the top as my wife's EVO III is light smoke and I think it looks pretty good. Marcel only offers dark smoke for the bottom portion so it hides the adjusting mechanism from view.

Another plus for this windshield is that the adjustable portion is back closer to the rider than his other windshields. That is supposed to improve the wind handling characteristics as far as the rider is concerned.

BRPjunkie
09-08-2008, 08:32 PM
BJT,

Thanks for the offer. I could easily drive up from Jackson some day, but I still have issues with the F1 and EVO II & III size wise. I like the shorter look of the BRP Tour. I sent a PM to Marcel to see how tall his EVO III shorty is and wanted to know how it might compare to the BRP Tour. Have not heard back from him. I'm probably looking for the impossible in wanting a 20" sport style shield that provides good wind and noise protection. Micro Swirl advised me that even with the BRP Tour shield, it is probably too short to work and Wing Tip might be better choice.

ld271
09-08-2008, 09:03 PM
I want to know what some people were thinking when thay made these things thay take away so much from the great looks of the spyder tall is not always better some bike can get away with that some can't i think some people are forgetting what riding is all about wind in your hair if you have any left like me wind in your face freedom from being enclosed fresh air leave taller windshields all that jazz leave the ipods navs cb's stereos forget all that crap and ride god forbid you get a little wind in your face the spyder is a great motorcycle enjoy it for the bike it is and best of all enjoy the ride :2thumbs:

Bionic Pope
09-08-2008, 09:10 PM
Yes - I take F1 from pal an ride 500 mile with it. very bad and F1 place refuse to fix problem. Hole not line up an then crack. It keep wind off but make head noize an bounce.

Also many user out here have problem - bad hole an cracks. F1 is made in oven by pastre cook - not two will be same an all will crack some time from bad hole.

Now have Calsi an it GREAT unit. I want to wate for IND7 adjust - but culd not wate.

I think IND7 unit more beter than evan Calsi - but more money.

AMTJIM
09-08-2008, 11:19 PM
Mels monster garage...tinted, about 149.00, 4 inches taller than the BRP tour. I like it!

Zerocool
09-08-2008, 11:54 PM
There are some interesting aerodynamics going on with the Spyder. Riding in the rain and dark Saturday night convinced me of that. I could easily see the droplet movement in the reflection of the lights. I had Rain-X on both the Spyder shield and my helmet shield. The water stayed put! I have never had that happen, especially on a face shield. The wind usually hits it then rolls it right off. It is apparent that the air is not really flowing, just turbulent. The drops move around, but stay put. The stock windshield was the same. Nothing moved.

:agree: Thanks for sharing this Scotty.

A few weeks back I was out for a group ride. On the way home I hit rain on the interstate. Being new to the open air ride I was told that (1) the rain sheds fairly well off the face shield and (2) the remaining droplets are so close you aren't affected by them, so I wasn't concerned. However, I couldn't see. It was like looking through a screen door. My initial thought was, I'm not use to it. But what you state is what I experienced with the BRP stock, sport windshield.

One suggestion I received was to apply Pledge to the face shield, but I don't think that will work after reading your assessment. :dontknow:

NancysToy
09-09-2008, 06:52 AM
One suggestion I received was to apply Pledge to the face shield, but I don't think that will work after reading your assessment. :dontknow:
I doubt it will help. We hit some rain when we rode up to Holland, too. I had treated both shields and helmets with Rain-X the day before. My helmet shield shed water like an anti-gravity machine, while my wife had to constantly wipe her shield riding the Spyder. I thought it was her shield, until I rode in the rain that night, and the same shield that had worked previously on a bike, didn't do a thing on the Spyder. Aerodynamics, IMO. I expect I'll make some chamois finger sleeves for the goloves this week, just for such occasions.
-Scotty

bjt
09-09-2008, 06:59 AM
Some of my experiences in riding in the rain...

Using Rain-X, pledge or any other rain shedding product makes it so I can wipe my face shield with my hand to remove some of the accumulated water and the remaining water beads instantly into much smaller water beads. That makes it easier to see until it accumulates again. Without something applied to the face shield, it sometimes smeared the water without beading. That made it harder to see.

A tall windshield that you have to look through is not good when you ride in the rain. The same thing that water does on your faceshield happens on the windshield and you really can't wipe that off while riding.

The inside of my faceshield has more of a tendency to fog up in the rain.

czdaryle
09-09-2008, 07:06 AM
I end up turning my head sideways to get the water off...works in a slow rain

Bimjo
09-09-2008, 07:14 AM
Or you can just lean out into the slipstream... works at almost any speed.

teacherbob
09-09-2008, 08:09 AM
We recommend and use Nikwax on our helmet shields and our windshields. The water beads slide right off. Rain X is not suppossed to be used on any form of plastic.

Bob
Powersports4Less.com

:2thumbs:

bjt
09-09-2008, 08:34 AM
We recommend and use Nikwax on our helmet shields and our windshields. The water beads slide right off. Rain X is not suppossed to be used on any form of plastic.

Bob
Powersports4Less.com

+1 on the Nikwax. TeacherBob sent me a bottle with some riding gear that I bought from him and it worked good though I still have water sticking to the shield while riding in the rain.

sabunim5
09-09-2008, 11:10 AM
Aerostitch makes a neat little set of rain wipes. They fit over your index finger and have a squeege on them. They come in a three pack that has three different diameters so you have the right size. Small for summer gloves, medium for fall/spring gloves and large for your winter gloves. Some gloves come with a built in wipe, but I find it too small to be effective like the ones from Aerostitch. Great for keeping your helmet shield clear. The air stream from the Spyder just isn't effective for clearing my helmet visor in the rain or fog. Ryde Safe and Enjoy:thumbup:
sabunim5:spyder:

ataDude
09-09-2008, 11:16 AM
Some of us have been there/done that, for years... the wind in the face thing. To each his own... if you want it, fine... if I don't... especially in the winter..., fine, too.

I agree that some windshields look like crap... but it's still a person's choice.

:D ;)

I want to know what some people were thinking when thay made these things thay take away so much from the great looks of the spyder tall is not always better some bike can get away with that some can't i think some people are forgetting what riding is all about wind in your hair if you have any left like me wind in your face freedom from being enclosed fresh air leave taller windshields all that jazz leave the ipods navs cb's stereos forget all that crap and ride god forbid you get a little wind in your face the spyder is a great motorcycle enjoy it for the bike it is and best of all enjoy the ride :2thumbs:

NancysToy
09-09-2008, 11:48 AM

Bob
Powersports4Less.com

Which Nikwax, there are several varieties? Never heard of this, but I would sure like to try it. I use Nikwax all the time for my boots, hiking, and riding gear.

I have used Rain-X on my plastics for years without problems, but it will affect some shields, eventually clouding them permanently. With helmet shields, they usually are scratched and have to be replaced by then, if you don't just replace the helmet like you really should. With bike shields you take your chances. No way to "test in an inconpicuous place" since it takes a great deal of time for problems to appear.
-Scotty