PDA

View Full Version : CLOSE CALL THIS AFTERNOON

grumpybob
05-13-2014, 04:01 PM
I Was at the busiest intersection in town a couple of hours ago waiting for the light to change. It has 2 lanes, one for a left turn the other to continue on. The left lane had the arrow and cars were turning. I was in the right lane, on the spyder, waiting in a line of cars for our side to get the green light. As we got the green the arrow for left turns turned red. The driver in the left lane must not have been paying attention to the car in front of him/her. I heard tires lock up, had enough time to look in my left mirror to see something big coming in my lane behind me. The person must have seen me, or known I was there, as they managed to pull back into the left lane. I hit the gas as I pulled toward the far right side of the right lane. I heard someone yell oh **** as they rear-ended the vehicle next to me. I got by them before I was hit by either vehicle, & flew thru the intersection. I hope nobody was messed up, they were not going over 10 - 15 miles/hr. Sure made a lot of noise. Hope they weren't looking at the spyder & lost track of driving.

Dan_Ashley
05-13-2014, 04:07 PM
Congratulations on keeping your head and using your much thought about self preservation and accident avoidance techniques. Good job. I am glad you are ok and only experienced fear.

Jeriatric
05-13-2014, 04:08 PM
Front row seats in situations like this I can do without. Glad you were only a spectator. :thumbup:

Jim&Teresa
05-13-2014, 04:17 PM
Glad you're OK. I ALWAYS watch my rear view mirrors when stopped -- good job! I added the HMT rear brake light as well for visibility! However, in your case, it was just a careless driver not paying attention.

We were on a ryde last year and a beautifully decked out Harley pulled aside of me at an intersection (probably to beat me off the line - LOL)...anyways, an elderly lady was slowing her minivan down, but judged the distanced wrong....missed us by inches, but nailed the Harley really hard in the back and pushed them another 10 feet!!! Almost out in traffic.

Both riders fell to the ground. The driver of the Harley looked relatively OK, but his wife/girlfriend on the back was down on the ground holding her head -- major whiplash. Both had helmets or it could have been even worse. The gal was transported to an ER.

Keep up the awareness for all of us -- thanks for your post! :thumbup:

cuznjohn
05-13-2014, 04:23 PM
seems like all the jerks are out today

grumpybob
05-13-2014, 04:34 PM
Everybody seems to be in to much of a hurry. Seems it really degrades their/our driving skills. Sure glad the person saw me, as they wanted to change lanes to avoid hitting the vehicle in front of them.

Flanker
05-13-2014, 05:40 PM
Congratulations on keeping your head and using your much thought about self preservation and accident avoidance techniques. Good job. I am glad you are ok and only experienced fear.

Well said! Ditto for me!

Chupaca
05-13-2014, 05:42 PM
really glad you got out from between that mess...must be because it is motorcycle awareness month..these idiots must think it means open season...:gaah:

cuznjohn
05-13-2014, 06:03 PM
i was always told to leave at least two bike spaces between you and the car in front of you at a stop, you never know when you will need to slide by. i know it but i forget most of the time in traffic

ARtraveler
05-13-2014, 06:18 PM
Well said! Ditto for me!

:agree: x 2

RBS66
05-13-2014, 06:22 PM
WHEWWWWWWWW !!!!!!!!!!!

Bob Denman
05-14-2014, 07:29 AM
GREAT job of using situational awareness, to your advantage! :clap: :2thumbs:

bruiser
05-14-2014, 09:09 AM
Now days you need to be like a one eyed dog in a meat market.

bluestratos
05-14-2014, 09:15 AM
Situational awareness and defensive driving make a good driver for sure. I have the third brake like with a strobe effect when I put the brakes on. Too many distractions now a days so any edge is worth the time and money.