PDA

View Full Version : 2014 ST Limited more questions - oil check and Bluetooth

blackcrowe
05-12-2014, 04:31 PM
Anybody with the 2014 ST Limited?

Got a 2014 ST Limited in early April. Just got back from a 400 mile road trip to brothers this weekend, was a great weekend for a drive.

Have some more questions:
About checking the oil and I know there's been a few questions out there. When I first got my bike, got home and went over the manual and familiarized myself with the fluid locations. I noticed when checking the oil cold I had a reading between half and full. I didn't think any thing of it so rode through the whole break-in period like that, the dealer should know what they're doing right?
Hopefully no damage done and will be extremely p%&%$$ if there is. The guy at the dealer who gave me the bike rundown and got the bike ready wasn't very knowledgeable when I asked questions so wouldn't doubt if he didn't do it right.

Anyway I'm just getting strange readings. Before my road trip last week, checking it cold, it's below the add mark, checking it at operating temp it's halfway between the add and full, and I know this is the way to check.

I checked it COLD today (after sitting in garage for 24 hours) and the oil was about half full - What is going on? I didn't add any oil so don't know why its reading half full when cold. started it up for about 3 minutes than checked and reads little more than half full.

Questions:

1) Is it OK to run oil about half full?

2) Does the 2014 ST Limited come Bluetooth enabled?

Checked the guide and went thru the console and don't see anything about Bluetooth. For the radio configuration it does indicate a Headset enabled option but doesn't expand anywhere about it.

billybovine
05-12-2014, 06:06 PM
The oil level cold is almost meaningless. I had experimented with this on my 2009. Do what the manual says and check it hot. Just make it a habit to check the oil after you have finished a ride.
1. Keep the oil between full and add lines. So if it is below the add line, add some. That's why it's called "add line" and not "your Spyder will blow up line" :joke:
2. BT is optional. If you did not buy and have the BT Dongle kit installed, you won't have it.

ulflyer
05-13-2014, 06:32 AM
I assume you mean the oil level is between the full and add line.
If its half way, don't worry about it. Obviously its not using any oil...mine didn't use any on the 2200 mile run to Springfield and back. Others report no oil usage either. Anyway, at half way it will take only about pint or less. With a capacity of over 5 quarts, that's nothing. Ride and enjoy. As the song goes
"Don't worry, be happy"........:)

ARCTIC
05-13-2014, 10:53 AM
Since you have the limited it has the Garmin 660 factory installed which does have a blue tooth feature. I Bluetooth my phone to the Garmin and it'll ring my phone through the stereo speakers and I can actually do a hands free call using the speakers of the bike and the microphone built into the Garmin. It is a very sketchy connection at best but at least it displays who is calling on the Garmin and you can pull over if needed

blackcrowe
05-13-2014, 05:25 PM
Thanks for the replies. Helps me out.

I did buy a BT headset for my helmet and have it paired to the Garmin's Bluetooth & my cell phone which works pretty good. I was just hoping that the Radio/Accessory etc was also Bluetooth enabled. You'd think for the price you pay for these things that would be a given, BT dongle goes for how much? $250 I think. ridiculous.