PDA

View Full Version : Future Spyder Owner

grayowl
05-12-2014, 12:10 PM
I knew when Spyders first came out that I would eventually have to have one. They just look too cool! After watching you folks buying and selling on this site for a year I decided it was time to take the next step. I sold my bike last week but it may be a little while before I can gather enough $$ together for my own Spyder. In the interim I would appreciate advice from you who have a wealth of knowledge about Spyders. I assumed that I would have to begin with an 08 due to money limitations but was quickly told by a friend who is a Spyder owner that I should stay away from 08 and 09. After reading about Spyder paddle shift issues, power steering issues, etc. it is becoming evident to me that I need to pick the correct machine or I will be spending my time trying to keep it fixed. I mean no insult. Just a novice seeking guidance. Thanks ahead of time for all your input. You seem like a great group of people and I look forward to hearing from you.

Saluda
05-12-2014, 12:15 PM
Manual shift, great bike and I had 0 issues. There was a steering update but I had never experienced the issue. Good luck.

cyclelover63
05-12-2014, 12:22 PM
I had an 09 GS...and it did have the recall on steering..Other than that,it was a rocket and trouble free...Would buy one again if I was looking for a sport bike

garb55
05-12-2014, 12:22 PM
Manual shift, great bike and I had 0 issues. There was a steering update but I had never experienced the issue. Good luck.
I also had an 08 manual shift for 6 years
rode it all the time
No problems at all
Don

GloryRyders
05-12-2014, 01:42 PM
Our first Spyder was also a '09 GS (RS) with a semi-automatic transmission. Never had any issues with the transmission BRP did have an upgrade with the DPS steering. If the 2011 RT Ltd. didn't call my name, I would probably still have the GS.:2thumbs: We put 12,000 miles on that :spyder: and really didn't have any issues to complain about!:yes:

Chupaca
05-12-2014, 01:53 PM
you will find that any spyder in your price range will be fine. All of them had problems but most were taken care of. When shopping check vin# with local dealer to see if changes and updates were made to that machine. I ryde with many 08-09's and some with over 60,000 miles. Keep your eyes open and know your seller. Many out there are low mileage and great deal...waiting for you...:roflblack:

Bob Denman
05-12-2014, 01:56 PM
Welcome to the PARTEEE! :2thumbs:
Which model are you looking at; The RT,ST, or RS/GS?

ARCTIC
05-12-2014, 02:10 PM
I had a 2008 se5 and had to replace the shifter switch otherwise it was a good bike the 2 years I owned it. One thing I would mention is that you sit on the bike and possibly ride one before you get set on a year and model. If you do not like the seating position of the stock RS it's fairly costly to put floorboards and did on there. Might be about the same cost if you buy a rt instead

grayowl
05-12-2014, 03:44 PM
Welcome to the PARTEEE! :2thumbs:
Which model are you looking at; The RT,ST, or RS/GS?

I would love to have an upright seating position but I think the money would go up considerably to get that. Price will determine what I can have I'm afraid.

Big Arm
05-12-2014, 04:08 PM
Been riding my '08 GS manual for over six years now. No problems. BRP replaced all of the steering boxes. Look for one with the risers installed. The manual shifts sold for $1500 less than the auto, so you may want to keep that in mind.

Bob Denman
05-12-2014, 04:48 PM
I would love to have an upright seating position but I think the money would go up considerably to get that. Price will determine what I can have I'm afraid.
I did some digging for you...

This'll make it a bit easier to compare how they "sit"... :D

JerryB
05-12-2014, 05:16 PM
I knew when Spyders first came out that I would eventually have to have one. They just look too cool! After watching you folks buying and selling on this site for a year I decided it was time to take the next step. I sold my bike last week but it may be a little while before I can gather enough $$ together for my own Spyder. In the interim I would appreciate advice from you who have a wealth of knowledge about Spyders. I assumed that I would have to begin with an 08 due to money limitations but was quickly told by a friend who is a Spyder owner that I should stay away from 08 and 09. After reading about Spyder paddle shift issues, power steering issues, etc. it is becoming evident to me that I need to pick the correct machine or I will be spending my time trying to keep it fixed. I mean no insult. Just a novice seeking guidance. Thanks ahead of time for all your input. You seem like a great group of people and I look forward to hearing from you.

Hi greyowl,

Last September I was about where you are now at. Back in 2000 I sold my 2-wheeler as I was getting (IMO) too old for it.

2 yrs ago I decided I 'needed' something to be out in the wind again. My daughter had bought a Yamaha 125 Vino motorscooter. I took it for a ride and decided I wanted one. Found one up near Tacoma, Washington, rode it & bought it.

It was/is a fun machine. But you cannot really go anywhere with it.

I had been sort of 'looking' at Spyders for a number of years. Found this site, found the local Spyder club, asked a lot of questions and lurked this site for about 4 months until I found the one I bought.

Something important to me is low mileage, even though I know a local guy with 54K miles on his '08.

I looked and looked, found a local one but the price was a little too much IMO; and it sold before I could really get to negotiating with the Ducati dealer who had it. Another one came up at a Spyder dealer in central Oregon. It had about 4-5K miles on it and about what I wanted to pay.

I then got an email from one of the local club members telling me about a '08 in Southern California. Lots of emails, phone calls, and I was in the area back in late Feb so I stopped by and rode it. We talked a lot about it & I bought it. It is a '08 with electronic shift (what I wanted) and only 4K miles on her.

IMO read all you can on this site, look at as many as you can, ride a number of them (all versions), know your budget (mine came in $400 below the budget that I had set); oh, did I say look at as many as you can.

IMO the people on this site are great and will answer virtually any question you will ever have. Take each answer with a grain of salt & good luck in finding one.

I did it, so can you,

Jerry Baumchen

Deanna777
05-12-2014, 06:27 PM
First of all :welcome: to this site, and don't be shy on asking questions, we are here to help.

2 years ago I bought a 2012 RTS-SE5, I have not had any problems with the paddle shifting.

Good luck on what you style you choose, you might want to rent a :spyder2: or if you know someone who has a :spyder2: take a test drive first before you buy.

Let us know what you decide to get.
Deanna777

Brogers57
05-12-2014, 06:32 PM
I love my 12 RS, no issues other then wanting to upgrade to RTS :).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

grayowl
05-13-2014, 09:01 AM
Everyone here has been great - as I knew they would be. You have put my mind at ease about the earlier models somewhat by sharing your experiences with them. (I will look for low miles, well maintained, all recalls done and as always - someone I can believe is telling me the truth about any previous issues.) It pays to collect as much info as you can up front and I really appreciate all that you have shared. There is no dealer in my immediate vicinity. I guess he didn't sell enough Spyders to continue handling them. I'll have to find the nearest place to go sit on a few and get some test rides. I believe the nearest dealer is 100 miles away. Going with manual shift would save me some $. That is all I have ever used anyway after all. If I find a deal on a model with a more aggressive riding position it still wouldn't be nearly as aggressive as the sport bike I had a couple of bikes ago. Many thanks to all who took the time out of your day to provide advice. :bowdown:

ARtraveler
05-13-2014, 01:27 PM
My first was a 2008 GS manual transmission. Put 23,500 trouble free miles on before I went to the RTS.