PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice

spyderjim
05-12-2014, 11:43 AM
Lately there has been a lot of posts about the Spyder heat issue. I am a new Spyder owner. I have a 2012 RT SE5. Last week I rode in 87° weather for the first time, and now understand the issue.

a couple questions: what is the CAT bypass and air box eliminator?

Also, do any of the heat reflectors really work? Which one seems the most effective? I see a number of them from various vendors.

cuznjohn
05-12-2014, 11:56 AM
i am surprised your having a problem. from what i understand the 2012's were the best ones made. as far as the heat fixes you can buy i have no clue if they really work. the air box removal makes more room for circulation in the engine compartment so the bike gets more cool air and helps with the heat, the bypass removes the cat that radiates lots of heat and as we know heat rises and in our case it goes right up to under the Tupperware and creates swamp butt syndrome so good luck with the bike and i hope you find a solution

garb55
05-12-2014, 12:42 PM
i am surprised your having a problem. from what i understand the 2012's were the best ones made. as far as the heat fixes you can buy i have no clue if they really work. the air box removal makes more room for circulation in the engine compartment so the bike gets more cool air and helps with the heat, the bypass removes the cat that radiates lots of heat and as we know heat rises and in our case it goes right up to under the Tupperware and creates swamp butt syndrome so good luck with the bike and i hope you find a solution

All the V twins have the potential to run with heat issues
The exhaust is run the same on all of them
One post shows that he DOUBLE wrapped his exhaust. That was probably the most effective thing for lowering his heat under the Tupperware

Silvervette05
05-12-2014, 01:20 PM
I ran my 2012 rt s se5 at 90 degrees last week ran fine no heat issues :thumbup:

Chupaca
05-12-2014, 01:46 PM
have you ever ryden motorcycles...?? All of them have heat issues just some worse than others. You are after all sitting on the engine. The ones you may be referring to are the 2013's with the serious heat problems. Again not all of them and prior models had hardly any problems. If new to this mode of transportation you may be feeling the normal heat especially if your are in town or heavy traffic.. All the mods you refer to help with the heat but you will not eliminate it..ever..:thumbup:

Bob Denman
05-12-2014, 01:49 PM
Somebody in here said, "You're making 100 horsepower under all that plastic; you're gonna have heat..."
So...
There's heat...:shocked:
And then there's :yikes: HEAT!
Which do you have? Are you melting components under the Tupperware? Check your evaporative canister, brake master cylinder cap, and the wiring under the right side bodywork that's just behind the headers...
Take a look, and tell us what you find...Good Luck! :thumbup:

StanProff
05-12-2014, 03:24 PM
Somebody in here said, "You're making 100 horsepower under all that plastic; you're gonna have heat..."
So...
There's heat...:shocked:
And then there's :yikes: HEAT!
Which do you have? Are you melting components under the Tupperware? Check your evaporative canister, brake master cylinder cap, and the wiring under the right side bodywork that's just behind the headers...
Take a look, and tell us what you find...Good Luck! :thumbup:

wonder how long dri ice would last under the seat? :bbq:SORRY, I don't mean to make light of the real heat issues on some (if not all) of the '13 RT's.
As I understand, the '13's have the 14 frame, is that correct? If so that has got to have something to do with the extra heat many have been seeing.

Dan_Ashley
05-12-2014, 04:18 PM
Boots makes it better. I have a 2012 RT and one I started wearing harness boots my problems with heat mostly subsided.

Pennyrick
05-12-2014, 04:29 PM
Lately there has been a lot of posts about the Spyder heat issue. I am a new Spyder owner. I have a 2012 RT SE5. Last week I rode in 87° weather for the first time, and now understand the issue.

a couple questions: what is the CAT bypass and air box eliminator?

Also, do any of the heat reflectors really work? Which one seems the most effective? I see a number of them from various vendors.

Jim:

Welcome to the Spyder family. Heat has been present on motorcycles forever... you're sitting on top of a heat generating device. The Spyder is no different and no worse than air cooled Harley's or liquid cooled Hondas.

There are things that can be done to combat heat.

- Wear the correct shoes. Rebooks, Nikes and New Balance don't work. Get you some proper footwear.
- Shorts may work for mopeds but don't belong on Spyders.
- Baker Air Wings are very good at directing heat to you in cold weather and re-directing heat away from you when it is hot.
- SpyderPops blockers on the right side vents are a useful addition.
- Some of us drill one inch holes in the plastic covering under the right side tupperware. Others remove the covering altogether. The covers have been off of our RT's for about two years with no ill effects.

Air box removal, exhaust wrapping and some other measures seem to be extreme to me but some have done it with good success.

Enjoy the road... even when it is hot.

spyderjim
05-12-2014, 05:23 PM
have you ever ryden motorcycles...?? All of them have heat issues just some worse than others. You are after all sitting on the engine. The ones you may be referring to are the 2013's with the serious heat problems. Again not all of them and prior models had hardly any problems. If new to this mode of transportation you may be feeling the normal heat especially if your are in town or heavy traffic.. All the mods you refer to help with the heat but you will not eliminate it..ever..:thumbup:

Yes, I know about twin engines dissipating heat. I have only owned twins, and the last 25 years they have been Harley's. They get hot, and Harley a few years ago came out with a heat shield that helped. All I was looking for is does anything help?

Because I do not have a 2013, I have no clue as to the heat difference. Seems more wants to be read out of a couple simple questions.

Bob Denman
05-12-2014, 05:27 PM
...Just trying to give complete and accurate answers... :D

Dan_Ashley
05-12-2014, 09:10 PM
Yes, I know about twin engines dissipating heat. I have only owned twins, and the last 25 years they have been Harley's. They get hot, and Harley a few years ago came out with a heat shield that helped. All I was looking for is does anything help?

Because I do not have a 2013, I have no clue as to the heat difference. Seems more wants to be read out of a couple simple questions.
This fixed the problem completely:
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?60181-Hot-foot-fixed&highlight=foot+fixed