PDA

View Full Version : The latest from MB and Paula's adventures

murphybrown
05-12-2014, 06:18 AM
Good Morning Y'all...

Yep I've been South, deep South for the past few days. Paula and I spent 3 nites in New Orleans. After getting "accepted" for the 5 star dinner in our loud colored tennies. The next day was learning more (or should I say unlearning some facts) about New Orleans/French Quarter. I always believed that there are so many of their cemeteries above ground that it was because of the water table. WRONG, they have many below ground cemeteries...but of course, people like me, aka tourists, enjoy the old, old, old ones and they are above ground and verrrrrry interesting. Now here is the fact...the very early settlers were not "conditioned" to live in that area and there was high death rate. Locals determined that if they buried the diseased bodies in the ground then that disease would spread rampantly and even more would die. So there you go a myth or windy story or whatever has been delivered factually. We visited City Park....HUGE...as we walked, people watching at it's best, saw 2 brides have their pictures done...1 bride we decided wasn't the real deal "just" a model with the latest fashion and very EVEN suntan. Then the one we decided was a real bride...she had the uneven tan lines and even some sunburn!!! Pretty good deductions, don't you agree. lol One of the many things I enjoyed about New Orleans is that ALL wards house all socio-economic plus commercial areas. So you can have the poor, next door a multi-million dollar house and then a restaurant or some other commercial adventure. Way cool in my opinion. Saw community gardens.

That late afternoon we headed for Bourbon Street after dark. Stopped in Fr 1/4 for a great dinner at a recommended restaurant, Court of Two Sisters..it was everything they said....Paula had a Caesar Salad created at the table...she videoed it...said it was the BEST ever...I loved watching the creation, but that real, "furry" anchovy made me go ICK....

After a wonderful dinner we head to Bourbon street. Now it was NOT dark, but dusk and oh my...the entertainers were awesome, the active hooking, but hookers was "interesting outfits" to say the least. Then the parade came through...about 8 piece New Orleans Jazz Band following by many many well dressed individuals with various sizes of liquid refreshment, which they appeared to have been indulging in freely prior to joining the parade. Yep the bead throwing was going on...can only imagine what Mardi Gras is like!!! But the great news is WE HAVE THE T-SHIRT to prove we were there.

Next day we load up, I back trailer for first time...not a pretty scene...but did eventually get out of parking lot...was thinking next I will stop and unhook turn Spyder around and THEN hook up trailer and go!!! But I have a plan B that I know will work!!! We head toward Savannah, GA knowing it will be a 2 day journey. Heading East after a couple hours we turn North...oh oh that looks like some mighty black clouds way up yonder, but oh hey probably moving away from our direction. That thinking worked for at least another hour...and then it started in raining and not an over pass or service station or canopy of trees in site. First exit quick, stop and it dumps like buckets of rain AS we are getting rain gear out. Rained so hard it filled our sidebag doors...we are soaked thru and thru...put on rain gear, now you have your own steam bath going on...but warm, not miserable....but the rain continues, very hard, so we continue a little further and call it quits for the day...get motel, takes me almost an hour to get all the wet off, and hung around motel room drying. So that means next days ryde will be a little longer....but hey we love to ryde so no biggie.

Weather in a.m. is gorgeous, we load up dry as dry can be and head on to Savannah. Another gorgeous historical city. First we take the 90 minute trolley tour..the gal at the tourist center said all guides have to finish the same course, makes no diff who they work for. And all tours the same routes...so how did we select the right one? Cheapest...no brainer in our way of thinking.

The history is wonderful, the squares are awesome. Another great place to visit. Magnolia trees reaching 60 feet high with blooms the size of a dinner plate...wow. After the tour we jumped on Spyders and headed to historical plantation. 260+ years old. Family members of original settler still live on property. This was also a bastion to fight off the Spanish....what was once a viable waterway is now a huge marsh as it has filled in with silt over the decades. We walked the plantation....so cool...nope no Gone with the Wind home....but small fort type structure made from tabby and mixture of oyster shells, lime, sand and water. Wormsloe is the name of the plantation and now history Georgia site. Very very cool. Then we two mothers decided we needed to celebrate Mother's Day at Paula Deen's restaurant, Lady and Sons....the fried chicken was oh so good, the mac and cheese was like OMG and her desserts now I definitely should have just started with those!!!.

Then we head back to motel and Paula's Lolo (aka Siri/google map voice) decided the new SIM card she needed didn't fit quite right so we were making a few U turns in the middle of 4-6 lanes of traffic. We kept up with her and eventually Paula said ENUF and put her to bed to recover and we found motel. Got here thinking about where to head next when we get a message from a fellow Spyder ryder (Carol Currin) saying hey you are close by...bottom line we will meet up this a.m....to get there we get to drive over this awesome memorial bridge, Talmadge/Savannah....check it out I'm very excited...I like allllllll bridges to ryde over.

OK Paula is packed and I am still in my nightgown...better have one more cup of coffee and get a move on...

Everyone have a great Monday.

me

SteveMac
05-12-2014, 07:01 AM
Loved reading this!

PrairieSpyder
05-12-2014, 07:48 AM
I always enjoy your travelogues.

Did your sheepskin seat cover get soaked? Oh no!

Bob Denman
05-12-2014, 08:07 AM
What's all of this, that I keep hearing about beads? :shocked: :D
Love your stories!! :2thumbs:

Tango
05-12-2014, 08:28 AM
What's all of this, that I keep hearing about beads? :shocked: :D
Love your stories!! :2thumbs:

Never happened with out pics! :hun: Tom :trike:

Bob Denman
05-12-2014, 08:44 AM
:D :thumbup:

SpyderAnn01
05-12-2014, 08:55 AM
Sounds like you two are having a blast. I would be happy to give you trailer backing instruction during HOWR

Chupaca
05-12-2014, 09:15 AM
updates...you all are having a wonderful adventure. Not the same route but been there and your stories bring back memories..be safe and keep the stories coming...:thumbup::ohyea:

bruiser
05-12-2014, 09:23 AM
You and Paula are meeting Carol Currin? I feel sorry for you two. :joke:

Edit: forgot the joke emoticon. Carol is a good friend. I think.

lil rabbit
05-12-2014, 10:03 AM
:agree: you ladies are amazing and keep the updates coming.. :thumbup::thumbup: Be safe and I will see you soon MB....

GloryRyders
05-12-2014, 01:53 PM
Sounds like you are having a great time :yes::2thumbs::yes: Are you heading back to St. Louis with Paula?:dontknow: If so, when?? Maybe we can catch up with you before you head out?

murphybrown
05-12-2014, 03:05 PM
I always enjoy your travelogues.

Did your sheepskin seat cover get soaked? Oh no!

nope a little damp I got the shady products rain cover on...BUT the black dye did run down both sides of Studly....plexus cleaned it off easily..

murphybrown
05-12-2014, 03:10 PM
Sounds like you are having a great time :yes::2thumbs::yes: Are you heading back to St. Louis with Paula?:dontknow: If so, when?? Maybe we can catch up with you before you head out?

have 1st service scheduled at Pitbull sat am 5/16...then I head west to finalize prep of Heart of WA .. See you at owners event

gene0108
05-12-2014, 04:32 PM
First Service Scheduled.........Well I will buy you a cup of coffee Saturday morning. I will be arriving there Friday afternoon around 4:30-5:00. It is a 10 hour drive for me from French Settlement, La.

I guess I need to make hotel reservations.

Gene

murphybrown
05-12-2014, 04:39 PM
First Service Scheduled.........Well I will buy you a cup of coffee Saturday morning. I will be arriving there Friday afternoon around 4:30-5:00. It is a 10 hour drive for me from French Settlement, La.

I guess I need to make hotel reservations.

Gene

I'll take you up on the coffee....Friday I will be ryding from Jackson, MO to Springfield...

missouriboy
05-12-2014, 09:51 PM
have 1st service scheduled at Pitbull sat am 5/16...then I head west to finalize prep of Heart of WA .. See you at owners eventHEY! Better check with Pitbull to reconfirm that service appointment! Find out for sure whether it's for 5/16 or whether it's for sat am.

I know traveling gets your calendar all mixed up, so I wouldn't want you to miss it by 24 hours! :(

Anyway, I sure am enjoying these reports of all your adventures. You rock, girl !!! :yes:

SteveMac
05-12-2014, 10:03 PM
I'll take you up on the coffee....Friday I will be ryding from Jackson, MO to Springfield...

If you are coming thru Jackson MO, you all better be planning to stop and visit with me!!!! :pray: