PDA

View Full Version : Question about wiring LED's for front that are keyed

spyder-dude
05-11-2014, 11:34 AM
I am looking for a way to hookup some vador LED light strips from tricled but want them to be on when the key is on. I wiring that I found that worked was linked to the trunk switch so would only work when the trunk was open :(

I looked in the service manual and can't seem to find out the other wires that are there. This is a 2014 RTS that I have but think it may be the same on previous RT's.

finless
05-11-2014, 12:14 PM
My suggestion would be to tap into a riding light. They are fused and come on when the key is on.

Bob

spyder-dude
05-11-2014, 12:16 PM
Being I am most use to the GS/RSS/STS on the RT I am having trouble finding which wire that would be. Also on the 2014 you can't get to only a few wires as the frunk is different compared to previous models so the wiring isn't as easy to see. I tried to find any pictures on here but couldn't....

gazunni
05-11-2014, 04:50 PM
When I started adding to my 2011 I installed a Fuze Block also available from TRICLED. This unit has a relay on board that you wire a key activated source to along with a direct connection to the battery and one to a good ground. When you wire your lights into the fuze block, depending on what side you put the fuse it will either be on all the time or on with the key. I used the rear passenger heated handles to wire the on with key relay to. I installed the fuze block on the front side of the left side bag casing under the panel.

With the 2014 this would need to be thought out differently with the battery in the front.

samewok
05-11-2014, 05:35 PM
Email Reggie at Tricled he will tell you where.

spyder-dude
05-11-2014, 09:02 PM
I did talk to Reggy via email and he told me to run down to the a-arm wires that run the fender lights but thought there ought to be someplace else to connect to. I know on my GS/RSS/STS there was other options without wiring down below. I am trying to make it easy so if I ever need to remove the frunk I don't have to mess with disconnecting much on these connectors.

spyder-dude
05-30-2014, 02:41 PM
BUMP. Still looking to see if anyone has any recommendations for where to tie into without using a fuze box for a friend of mine.

IdahoMtnSpyder
05-30-2014, 11:43 PM
BUMP. Still looking to see if anyone has any recommendations for where to tie into without using a fuze box for a friend of mine.
The only other wires somewhat accessible would be the ones to the fog lights and the one to the frunk accessory outlet. The outlet is either switched or hot full time depending on if the fuse for it is in 6 or 7. The fog lights are on the load shedding relay and don't come until the motor is running.

The wire coming to the frunk LED is keyed 12 volt. That would work also. The frunk switch is in the ground side of the frunk LED.

bmwlarry
05-31-2014, 09:51 AM
I installed mine using the supplied connectors tapping into the headlight wires.

spyder-dude
05-31-2014, 11:27 AM
Can you get to the headlight wire without taking them out? I don't have my spyder here at the moment to check this out as I am getting it back Tuesday.....

IdahoMtnSpyder
05-31-2014, 01:45 PM
Can you get to the headlight wire without taking them out? I don't have my spyder here at the moment to check this out as I am getting it back Tuesday.....
Taking into consideration that my memory fades unbelievably fast anymore, I going to say no. However, removing the headlights is pretty easy once all the tupperware is off the front. There are only 4 screws. A couple of the screws are back somewhat so a 1/4" drive socket with an extension works best to reach them. There are the headlight adjustment cables to contend with too, but they're not a big pain.

gonker
05-31-2014, 11:43 PM
I found the weathertight oem plug and socket that is used on the fender lights on Amazon for a few dolllars (bought them in bulk so they were really cheap). They came with 6 inch pig tails so I tied them back to back and ran a set of leads up the a arm from the fender connector to the area under the right access panel in front. Ran the wires from my leds to a terminal block and tied them together there so if any problems come up I can get to the connection there. Simple install and they come on with the key.

Bob Denman
06-01-2014, 09:00 AM
If you're mounting these lights up front; I'd definitely want to be using the wiring for the front marker lights... :2thumbs:

bmwlarry
06-01-2014, 11:21 AM
You do not need to remove the lights to get to the wires! You should, however remove the headlight surrounds for two reasons. One is to attach the Side Emitting LEDs and the other is to get to the wires.

jtoro1
06-01-2014, 01:31 PM

I tapped in to the small lights on the upper corner of the head lights you do not have to take the head lights off