PDA

View Full Version : Come On BRP...Really

SpyRyd
05-11-2014, 07:26 AM
New 14 RT is awesome. Can't say the same about the OEM rear tire. Got 6146 miles on my RT -L and this what my rear tire looks like. No burn outs, no jack rabbit starts, just "normal" operation.

JKMSPYDER
05-11-2014, 07:38 AM
On the '14's they eliminated the side and rear travel bags and the electric trunk switch. Then they put on a rear tire that won't hold up in mileage compared to previous years. Then to top it all off, they charged more retail than in previous years for the RT-L. Cutting corners for the company bottom line and shareholders. Not being critical, just an observation.

YIRYDE
05-11-2014, 07:49 AM
New 14 RT is awesome. Can't say the same about the OEM rear tire. Got 6146 miles on my RT -L and this what my rear tire looks like. No burn outs, no jack rabbit starts, just "normal" operation.

Wow that's low mileage for tire to wear like that. Cruzer Joe posted a thread recently about his rear tire wear with similar mileage.

I went through 2 recommended tires on the rear of my 2012 RT in less than 18,000 miles, using a car tire now, same dimensions, but it rides flat across the entire surface. I have over 6,000 miles on it now, no noticeable wear.

Which brand, model and size tire are you currently using?

SpyRyd
05-11-2014, 07:50 AM
I went through 2 recommended tires on the rear of my 2012 RT in less than 18,000 miles, using a car tire now, same dimensions, but it rides flat across the entire surface. I have over 6,000 miles on it now, no noticeable wear.

I also had a car tire (Nitto NT450) installed on my 2012 RT-L as well. OEM tire had about 10000 miles on it and probably another 2000 miles of life left when I swapped it out for a car tire before going to SF last year. Traded my 12 RT with 26,636 miles on odometer and the car tire had a lot of tread left on it.

What brand of car tire are you using?

Jeriatric
05-11-2014, 08:10 AM
Common denominator to faster tire wear would be how gentle, or not so gentle, the throttle is rolled on. 40% more torque is a substantial change. jmo

Omcge
05-11-2014, 10:59 AM

I also have a lot of wear on my 13 RT ltd, and I wonder if it's partly due to riding down the middle of the lane where there is a lot of oil and dust letting it slip more.

My 2 cents

SpyRyd
05-11-2014, 11:07 AM
Here is the pic of my rear tire in the proper orientation :opps:.

Motorcycledave
05-11-2014, 11:20 AM
In looking at the photo I would say you have been running to much air.
The center of the tire is worn out to the bars the sides are not... good sign
of over inflation.
Dave

spyder-dude
05-11-2014, 11:25 AM
Here is a picture of mine with 6700 miles. Getting the new Arachnid tire put on tomorrow.

Tango
05-11-2014, 11:39 AM
So far dealers selling these tires(Arachnid) are not responding to requests for comparison's to the Kenda tire. :banghead: It's odd that the Arachnid copied the same tread pattern isn't it? Hope they give better mileage. :popcorn: Tom :trike:

SpyderAnn01
05-11-2014, 12:14 PM
I've 8500 on mine and it looks ready for a new one too. Arachnid will be my purchase. When you put 25000 miles on in a year 8000 is unacceptable :yikes:

Cruzr Joe
05-11-2014, 01:27 PM
On the '14's they eliminated the side and rear travel bags and the electric trunk switch. Then they put on a rear tire that won't hold up in mileage compared to previous years. Then to top it all off, they charged more retail than in previous years for the RT-L. Cutting corners for the company bottom line and shareholders. Not being critical, just an observation.

Did you forget that this one has a new engine and transmission and a better seat (that will accept a factory Backrest), you must compare apples to apples, etc.

Cruzr Joe

Cruzr Joe
05-11-2014, 01:28 PM
The rear tires wear like that irregardless of tire pressure.

:agree:

Cruzr Joe

SpyRyd
05-11-2014, 01:37 PM
In looking at the photo I would say you have been running to much air.
The center of the tire is worn out to the bars the sides are not... good sign
of over inflation.
Dave

28 PSI in the rear. I think that is within spec of what is recommended in the owner's manual.

SpyRyd
05-11-2014, 01:40 PM
I've 8500 on mine and it looks ready for a new one too. Arachnid will be my purchase. When you put 25000 miles on in a year 8000 is unacceptable :yikes:

Ann, have you come across any specs on the Arachnid tire? Can't even find it on the Vee Rubber website. I'd like to go with the Arachnid also but would like to see it's various ratings. Also would be interested hearing from folks who have put more than a couple thousand miles on this tire.

Chupaca
05-11-2014, 01:50 PM

If thats what it looks like the tire is not worn out yet. Make sure you are looking in the right place for wear.
88021 find the triangle on the side and check on that spot...my center line is gone and still have a ways to go on the tread limit mark...:thumbup:

SpyRyd
05-11-2014, 01:58 PM
If thats what it looks like the tire is not worn out yet. Make sure you are looking in the right place for wear.
88021 find the triangle on the side and check on that spot...my center line is gone and still have a ways to go on the tread limit mark...:thumbup:

Yep, I know where to look for the wear bars. Unfortunately the pic I posted shows the water block bars (think that is what they are called) in the center of the pic. The tread depth wear bars are shown a little further down towards the pavement. You're right, I do have a few more miles to go before my OEM rear tire is totally worn out.

SpyderAnn01
05-11-2014, 02:02 PM
I'll see what info I can get on the Arachnid tire. Have any of you noticed burning rubber smell?

Bob Denman
05-11-2014, 02:17 PM
If this is the worst possible stuff that you can ind about the new RT; :lecturef_smilie:
Trade with somebody, sho's fought the "Battle Of 2013"...

Highwayman2013
05-11-2014, 02:33 PM
http://www.spydercomfort.com/tires.htm Try here.

Highwayman2013
05-11-2014, 02:34 PM
http://www.spydercomfort.com/tires.htm Try here.Rolo

Jeriatric
05-11-2014, 03:08 PM
I did notice that the “new” Khumo was made in China while the original was made in South Korea.
Probably a distinction without difference.

Designed and assembled in Canada with Chinadian parts.

Value engineering?

Sourcing and manufacturing parts abroad is todays norm.Understood. But, having a company man(BRP employ) in house to oversee production and implement an acceptable quality control standard should go hand and glove. Until a manufacturer understands and consistantly meets certain standards. But then, under those circumstances it might be more cost effective to purchase from a mfg. with a solid track record already.

SpyRyd
05-11-2014, 04:38 PM
If this is the worst possible stuff that you can ind about the new RT; :lecturef_smilie:
Trade with somebody, sho's fought the "Battle Of 2013"...

Huh? I think most if not all the 14 RT owners love their new ryde. I know I do. That doesn't mean we can't complain about a few things we don't like e.g., :cus: poor rear tire life, burning rubber smell, etc.

Are you suggesting we not mention any unfavorable "stuff" about the 14 RT. Even one of the biggest 14RT cheerleaders (I won't mention his name but his initials are J O E) voiced his displeasure with the life of his rear tire. He just won't tell us what he is having installed in place of the OEM tire.

Come on Bob, take off your rose colored glasses.

Nils888
05-11-2014, 05:14 PM
I am getting close to needing a new rear tire for my RTS. I only have 3800 miles on my rear tire.

I am interested in the Arachnid tires. It would be nice if the Vender for Arachnid tires on this website would at least
post a little more Info on these tires other than a Picture of a pile of tires.

Bob Denman
05-11-2014, 05:52 PM
Huh? I think most if not all the 14 RT owners love their new ryde. I know I do. That doesn't mean we can't complain about a few things we don't like e.g., :cus: poor rear tire life, burning rubber smell, etc.

Are you suggesting we not mention any unfavorable "stuff" about the 14 RT. Even one of the biggest 14RT cheerleaders (I won't mention his name but his initials are J O E) voiced his displeasure with the life of his rear tire. He just won't tell us what he is having installed in place of the OEM tire.

Come on Bob, take off your rise colored glasses.
If I'm gonna bitch; I save it for something worthwhile... You can look at it this way; you get to replace that :cus: Kenda a bit quicker; that's all! :D

ruthie
05-11-2014, 05:56 PM
So you have to order the Arachnid tire then hope your closest dealer will mount it for who know what.

cptjam
05-11-2014, 09:08 PM
No problem with sourcing quality parts world-wide. Problem with junk at this price point. There is a term BRP needs to learn:
Commercial Off The Shelf
COTS
why have obscure bits and pieces that fail when used? Why have so many non-standard items that should be common and proven? Like tires, spin on oil filters, air filters, gauges, connections, just to name a few!
BRP makes some world class stuff, and we do love it. However, having a tire blow and NOBODY carries that size is just wrong! Cross country machines need to be reliable, repairable, and made of parts we can buy! JMHO, Joe

3 Wheel Addict
05-11-2014, 10:04 PM
The harsh truth is that Kenda can't even make a good bicycle tire! If there is any bike riders on here they will know what I'm talking about.... Kenda tires are like ink cartridges that come with new printers that work great but they are not gonna last long.

bluestratos
05-12-2014, 09:27 AM
on My 11 I got 13K out of the rear tire, then put a Kumo on and it was still only 1/3 worn at 25K when I trade it in. The Kumo was terrible on wet roads though, major hydroplaning which almost caused a serious accident when towing my trailer on the freeway. Don got 17K on his stock back tire. I will watch the new one carefully.

One thing I noticed, I have remote tire pressure indicators and have my tires set at factory spec for the 14 (28 PSI). After riding 20 miles the back tire was already up to 33 PSI on cool roads this weekend.

People keep talking about "burn outs" but neither my 2011 or my 14 can break loose off the line. Now and then I feel a bit of slip as I go over the painted intersection lines but nothing much.

Bob Denman
05-12-2014, 09:57 AM
That's why they say to check your tire pressures cold... :D

lookerjdc
05-12-2014, 10:37 AM
there doesn't seem to be any real agreement on tire pressures (front and rear)....

Bob Denman
05-12-2014, 11:01 AM
For 2014:
20 psi front
28 psi rear
Is what they suggest... :dontknow:
I'll stick with them, until I see a need to make a change. :thumbup:

SpyRyd
05-12-2014, 11:05 AM
For 2014:
20 psi front
28 psi rear

That's exactly the PSI settings I'm using. Like the ryde at those pressures.

ARtraveler
05-13-2014, 01:44 PM
I have previously experienced 13K to 15K miles on rear tires of all my :spyder2:'s. Hoping that this will not be an issue on my new 2014. Tick...tick...tick...

DrewNJ
05-13-2014, 04:11 PM
I would also tend to believe that the added weight to these machines is a contributing factor in the tire wear too.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Bob Denman
05-13-2014, 04:53 PM
:lecturef_smilie: Are you calling me, "FAT"? :gaah:
:shocked: Oh... :opps:

gonker
05-13-2014, 06:52 PM
Lets see, worn out in the middle and not on the edges.... hey, how about dual compound tires? Harder compound in the middle and softer on the edges helps with cornering. Oh wait, I have those on my 2 wheeler. Never mind. Lets step up BRP.... we have the technology.

NZSpyderRyder
05-13-2014, 07:01 PM
Are those that are finding that their tyres are wearing out quicker mainly riding two up ?

Sorry about the spelling of tyres, but I'm English.

StanProff
05-13-2014, 07:52 PM

I think it will last longer now, it was mounted sideways before.:yes:

lookerjdc
05-13-2014, 09:35 PM
For 2014:
20 psi front
28 psi rear

a friend of mine said to put 25 in the fronts - haven't tried it yet but....

Bob Denman
05-14-2014, 06:55 AM
It's worth a try... :dontknow:
I'd be concerned about siffening up the sidewalls too much...
The flexing that they do, is kind of relied upon by the manufacturers as part of the suspension's ability to soak up bumps.

sddinnh
05-14-2014, 07:09 AM
a friend of mine said to put 25 in the fronts - haven't tried it yet but....

That's what I'm running and it seems ok to me. Stops a lot of the tire roll in the corners and not noticably worse on our "frost heaved" NH roads. I looked at the tire and it says no less than 15 and no more than 30 so I figure I'm pretty safe

Tango
05-14-2014, 07:43 AM
Putting some extra air to stiffen up the sidewall is a good idea. Less body roll, and keeps the sidewall from compressing too much allowing pot holes to reach the rim. I've got 22 lbs in the front. Will move up to 24lbs. next. Had a long discussion with a BMW engineer who advised to run the tires to the sidewall max. The tires will resist punctures and blowouts and protect the rims better. Said to do this with bikes and cars. nojoke Tom :trike:

sddinnh
05-14-2014, 07:52 AM
Putting some extra air to stiffen up the sidewall is a good idea. Less body roll, and keeps the sidewall from compressing too much allowing pot holes to reach the rim. I've got 22 lbs in the front. Will move up to 24lbs. next. Had a long discussion with a BMW engineer who advised to run the tires to the sidewall max. The tires will resist punctures and blowouts and protect the rims better. Said to do this with bikes and cars. nojoke Tom :trike:

As I read the side of the tire, the sidewall max is 30. It just cautions not to run less that 15. My guess is that BRP spec's 20 for the "cushy" ride, not for cornering performance. Mine cane with 18 psi and I first raised it to 20 and saw no noticable difference. I went to 25 and the tire roll was noticeably less with not a lot of degradation in the ride. I suppose I should try 30 just to say I've tried it, but ........

SpyRyd
05-14-2014, 08:20 AM
Are those that are finding that their tyres are wearing out quicker mainly riding two up ?

Sorry about the spelling of tyres, but I'm English.

Not me, I have never ridden two up?

Tango
05-14-2014, 09:38 AM
As I read the side of the tire, the sidewall max is 30. It just cautions not to run less that 15. My guess is that BRP spec's 20 for the "cushy" ride, not for cornering performance. Mine cane with 18 psi and I first raised it to 20 and saw no noticable difference. I went to 25 and the tire roll was noticeably less with not a lot of degradation in the ride. I suppose I should try 30 just to say I've tried it, but ........

:thumbup:

bruiser
05-14-2014, 12:01 PM
Two ply tires. :mad:

Bob Denman
05-14-2014, 01:42 PM
:agree: two-plies... :gaah: