PDA

View Full Version : Oil Cjhanges

tpiketrooper
05-10-2014, 01:11 PM
How difficult is it to change the oil and such on a 2013 RT limited and to do some of the other service items yourself??:dontknow::dontknow::dontknow:

edmarino
05-10-2014, 02:15 PM
I did mine and no problem other then they (factory) had the drain plugs in so darn tight I almost striped the torx socket out. That would have been the pits. Make sure you know which trans. filter you have ,Long or short . so you have the right filter on hand and the screws for the filter caps (engine & trans) are different don't mix them up. I also got rid of the cheap drain plugs and put in some Dimple Mag plugs with a 13MM . Hex Head, not cheap but I think worth every penny. Also used Spectro full synthetic oil. Had a pair of ramps made from 4 pieces of 1*6 boards to raise the front up a bit to get under the trike to get the bottom pan off.

Highwayman2013
05-10-2014, 02:35 PM
It's not bad to change the oil, get the oil change kit from the dealer, it will have all of the needed things like the filters o rings and crush washers. 2013s should have the longer trans filter from the factory.

Captainpaul
05-13-2014, 12:48 PM
I have seen posts relative to leaving bottom RH panel off all together after an oil change. This would certainly make future changes easy!!

rcturner
05-14-2014, 05:01 PM
I did mine and no problem other then they (factory) had the drain plugs in so darn tight I almost striped the torx socket out. That would have been the pits. Make sure you know which trans. filter you have ,Long or short . so you have the right filter on hand and the screws for the filter caps (engine & trans) are different don't mix them up. I also got rid of the cheap drain plugs and put in some Dimple Mag plugs with a 13MM . Hex Head, not cheap but I think worth every penny. Also used Spectro full synthetic oil. Had a pair of ramps made from 4 pieces of 1*6 boards to raise the front up a bit to get under the trike to get the bottom pan off.

Caution: The drain plugs are NOT Torx. They are hex (Allen) head drain plugs. None of the filter bolts are Torx either. I do mine and take a lot of time. I get it done in about 2 hours.

nhoj
05-14-2014, 07:45 PM
Caution: The drain plugs are NOT Torx. They are hex (Allen) head drain plugs. None of the filter bolts are Torx either. I do mine and take a lot of time. I get it done in about 2 hours.

6mm Allen for the two drain plugs.