PDA

View Full Version : First Oil Change on the 2014 RT

bluestratos
05-10-2014, 12:37 PM
This is so much easier than the 11!. Still 2 drain plugs but easy to get to and drain cleanly. One filter that comes out the top and also clean by simply wrapping a rag around the base of the top cap before pulling the filter. To put the O rings back on the one drain plug (the other only has a single crush washer) I wrapped the threads with electrical tap first so the O rings would slide/roll up with getting damaged by the sharp screw threads. Voila', 45 min oil change! No fuss no mess.

One odd thing, the left hand drain plug is a 45 Torx head, the other is an Alan head. No biggie, just something thing to watch for.

ulflyer
05-10-2014, 02:57 PM
This is so much easier than the 11!. Still 2 drain plugs but easy to get to and drain cleanly. One filter that comes out the top and also clean by simply wrapping a rag around the base of the top cap before pulling the filter. To put the O rings back on the one drain plug (the other only has a single crush washer) I wrapped the threads with electrical tap first so the O rings would slide/roll up with getting damaged by the sharp screw threads. Voila', 45 min oil change! No fuss no mess.

One odd thing, the left hand drain plug is a 45 Torx head, the other is an Alan head. No biggie, just something thing to watch for.

Pretty sure they are both Torx: one 40, other 45.:)

bluestratos
05-10-2014, 05:49 PM
I took mine out and looked under the light before I put it back on, it is an Alan head on the one side but I will check again to be double sure next time.

tobor9
05-11-2014, 12:33 AM
? just one filter,no transmission filter? I've not looked at Sofia's new '14RTL but assumed it had two filters just like the 998.

SpyRyd
05-11-2014, 06:07 AM
? just one filter,no transmission filter? I've not looked at Sofia's new '14RTL but assumed it had two filters just like the 998.

Yep, just one filter.

Wiredux
05-11-2014, 10:27 AM

The SE does have 2 filers just like the 998's. The transmission filter is just not changed when you change the oil. Just like your automotive.

Chupaca
05-11-2014, 01:31 PM
have a transmission filter but it is not changed with regular oil changes. It is in the maintenance schedule and is rather expensive...glad you were able to do the change yourself and pass on these helpful hints...:2thumbs:

Jim&Teresa
05-11-2014, 05:03 PM

How many miles did you have on it before your 1st oil change? What condition did you find the oil (mine is still very clear and "fresh" looking at 1000 miles. Did you discover any metal filings during the change?

Thanks for posting this info! :thumbup:

SpyderAnn01
05-11-2014, 05:15 PM
How many miles did you have on it before your 1st oil change? What condition did you find the oil (mine is still very clear and "fresh" looking at 1000 miles. Did you discover any metal filings during the change?

Thanks for posting this info! :thumbup:

I changed mine at 4,000 miles and the oil looked good, it hadn't used any. There were metal filings on the magnetic plug but not an unusual amount. I thought the oil change was a bit of a pain since you have to remove a lot of Tupperware.

Jim&Teresa
05-11-2014, 09:25 PM
I changed mine at 4,000 miles and the oil looked good, it hadn't used any. There were metal filings on the magnetic plug but not an unusual amount. I thought the oil change was a bit of a pain since you have to remove a lot of Tupperware.

Thanks! Planning a trip in July and may go over the 3000 mile mark. I would change it at the 3000 mileage, but don't want to do it on a trip....will wait until I get home.

My 2012 RT Limited used to use a little oil. The 2014 RT Limited is a nice change as it's always full and I have not used a drop in it for my first 1000 miles! Nice! :yes::yes:

cptjam
05-11-2014, 11:41 PM
Yes, for sure. One plug a torx, one an Allen! Remove mirror, air wing, side panel, acoustic panel. 36mm on filter housing, same as rear axle. Relocate the bottom panels that are underneath to a shelf in the garage. Easy.

bluestratos
05-12-2014, 09:15 AM
The oil was dark with very little filings.