PDA

View Full Version : More observations from the Missouri/Arkansas/Alabama/Mississippi/Tennessee trip

Pennyrick
05-10-2014, 12:20 PM
Earlier I posted observations noted during our trip to and from Spyderfest after logging over 36,000 miles on RT's.

Here are some more thoughts....

- Buying a hood to make the Garmin 660 easier to view is a waste of money. Unless the day is completely overcast nothing is going to make that screen visible. To make matters worse I wear transitions prescription sun glasses. When they are dark, the screen is completely invisible to me. If I take them off the information is too small for me to read... assuming it is correct which it often is not.

- The Ultimate seat is the best addition I have made to my Spyder, bar none. 2,100 miles is lot of seat time and my butt doesn't have some of the internal padding it did in my youth. The Ultimate saved the day.

- A toothbrush makes a good tool to remove the debris of dead bugs from around the headlights and fairing on the RT's.

- Highway 14 from Ava to West Plains, MO is a nice stretch to run early on a Sunday morning. So too is Highway 160 to Doniphan.

- Alabama Highway 67 south and then southeast on Alabama 278 is another neat route to run.

- Tennessee Highway 64 from Savannah to Lawrenceburg is also pretty good.

- Not everyone in the wind gives a wave. I don't care, I wave at everyone on two or three wheels.

- Mid-Alabama gets the 'most dead Armadillos' prize with western Georgia a surprising second.

- Baker Air Wings sure do cool down your legs.

- Eighteen wheelers that install lower shields on their trailers don't displace as much air as those with open wheels so the Spyder is not affected nearly as much.

- The cruise control on my RT will not match with the cruise on my wife's RT. If I am set at 59 mph she is gaining on me at the same setting. If I set mine at 60, she falls behind. I guess I need a 59.5 setting to match up with her.

PrairieSpyder
05-10-2014, 05:02 PM
Thanks for the tips. Just be sure to remember which (whose) toothbrush you used to clean the Spyder!:yikes:

missouriboy
05-10-2014, 09:23 PM
Earlier I posted observations noted during our trip to and from Spyderfest after logging over 36,000 miles on RT's.

Here are some more thoughts....

<snip>

- The cruise control on my RT will not match with the cruise on my wife's RT. If I am set at 59 mph she is gaining on me at the same setting. If I set mine at 60, she falls behind. I guess I need a 59.5 setting to match up with her.Someone stop me if I'm wrong... but I don't think you "set" the CC at any chosen mph. You "set" it at whatever speed you're actually going when you hit the button, be it 59.1268 or 59.81264927 or 59.4141414. Then you can adjust it 1 mph up or down from there.

If this be the case, then it's virtually impossible for 2 identical machines to ever be "set" at the exact same speed. And even more impossible for 2 NON-identical machines.

Disclaimer: Only someone who knows the actual computer logic of the nanny could tell us for sure, and this ain't me!

Anybody??????????????????????

Chupaca
05-10-2014, 09:29 PM
most informative trip you are having. We are learning a lot. Thanks for the update and knowing if you posted this you are both doing well...:ohyea::ohyea:

govner
05-10-2014, 11:01 PM
278 you say ..... I live real close to that rode. most of my miles on this spyder are on that rode . And I did notice the armadillo population picking up on the rode sides. Instead of eye spy or other popular riding games we play spot the armadillo or something similar :joke:

AlEverett
05-11-2014, 01:22 AM
Do you have the Spyderpops block off plate installed or just the Baker Air Wings. Installing the Air wings looks easy but the Block off plate and drilling holes in the lower plate on my 2013 RT looks intimidating. The heat on my right leg is getting unbearable with it heating up outside. Looking for a solution.

Pennyrick
05-11-2014, 07:52 AM
Do you have the Spyderpops block off plate installed or just the Baker Air Wings. Installing the Air wings looks easy but the Block off plate and drilling holes in the lower plate on my 2013 RT looks intimidating. The heat on my right leg is getting unbearable with it heating up outside. Looking for a solution.

Both of our RT's have the block off plate installed and I removed the lower plate on the right side entirely on both.

I have floorboards on my Spyder that flip up on the leading edge and that makes any hot air coming from the lower vent to be forced down under the board.

Pennyrick
05-11-2014, 07:58 AM
Someone stop me if I'm wrong... but I don't think you "set" the CC at any chosen mph. You "set" it at whatever speed you're actually going when you hit the button, be it 59.1268 or 59.81264927 or 59.4141414. Then you can adjust it 1 mph up or down from there.

If this be the case, then it's virtually impossible for 2 identical machines to ever be "set" at the exact same speed. And even more impossible for 2 NON-identical machines.

Disclaimer: Only someone who knows the actual computer logic of the nanny could tell us for sure, and this ain't me!

Anybody??????????????????????

You are correct but the digital read out doesn't tell the speed other than round mph numbers so when I get to that speed I set the cruise. If my wife asks what speed I am set at so she can match it, I can only tell her what is on the read out.

I think you are also correct that it is impossible to match speeds on two Spyders, unless it happens by accident... there is always a slight difference.

jthornton
05-11-2014, 08:31 AM
There is lots of roads around here like 160 and 14 on the north side of 60 you can ride all day in the hills and see some really neat things.

JT