PDA

View Full Version : Girls in wreck on way home from Spyderfest

Cruzr Joe
05-08-2014, 08:40 PM
Any one have any info on the Guys/Girls involved in the wreck after leaving Spyderfest????

I believe Greta was one of them

Looking for Info

Cruzr Joe

spyder3
05-08-2014, 09:03 PM
It was mentioned on FB, but nothing in the way of details except for multiple spyders....hope they are all ok:pray:

SPYD1
05-08-2014, 09:04 PM
:pray::pray::pray:

Tango
05-08-2014, 10:15 PM
Someone needs to update us all here. :( Very sad to hear. Hope they are all ok. :thumbup: Tom :trike:

Jwenzen
05-08-2014, 10:25 PM
All three are out of the hospital. Sara may still require shoulder surgery. Doctor wants to hold out. Both Sean (Deke) and Greta suffered concussions and bumps and bruises, but will be ok. All three were thrown from their bikes. This accident woke me up to why to wear good riding gear. All three were and all three will survive. Not sure that could have been said without proper helmets, gloves, jackets, pants, boots etc.
I would personally like to shout out to everyone for the thoughts, prayers, and concerns. God is good for sure. Ryde safe!

Tango
05-08-2014, 10:27 PM
Thanks! Glad they are ok! :thumbup: Tom :trike:

cptjam
05-08-2014, 10:46 PM
All the Gear, All the time
Glad they wore it. Glad to hear they will be ok.

Chupaca
05-08-2014, 11:16 PM
they will all be alright. Proper gear is basic and should be worn at all times. Thoughts and :pray:'s for them...

mastertek2000
05-09-2014, 04:28 AM
all ways sad to hear anything like this prayers sent

sddinnh
05-09-2014, 05:11 AM
Great news :clap: But sorry to hear it happened.

cyclelover63
05-09-2014, 05:21 AM
What actually happened?..Interstate accident?...Prayers for full recovery..:pray::pray::pray:

Saluda
05-09-2014, 06:35 AM
and a speedy & complete recovery.

Jwenzen
05-09-2014, 06:45 AM
What actually happened?..Interstate accident?...Prayers for full recovery..:pray::pray::pray:

Not a highway accident. A group of seven or so were riding back form the fest. Out of respect for friends I don't want to get into details. Lets just say that everyone that gets behind the wheel bears respnsibility when it comes to accident prevention. Leaders, sweeps, and everyone in between. Accidents within your own group to me are the worst to see. Because you re all brothers and sisters. Take a riding course, always refresh your skills. I know I will be.

Bob Denman
05-09-2014, 06:46 AM

:agree: and continued prayers... :pray:

StanProff
05-09-2014, 07:08 AM
So glad that everyone made it through this accident alive. Our Thoughts and prayers are with you.
It would be really good if we could find out, if possible, what caused the accident and how it could have been avoided. Details of this situation would greatly be appreciated could be a valuable "lesson learned" for all of us and perhaps help avoid a future accident. I have been involved in safety issues for many years in the course of my job. Many times, "drilling down" ,into the circumstances prior to the incident can reveal the way to avoid a repeat incident for others. Not saying anyone involved in this made mistakes, some accidents are totally unavoidable and are caused by things beyond our control. All of us will appreciate any information we can get.
Best wishes and get well soon,
Stan

Bob Denman
05-09-2014, 07:11 AM
:agree: :2thumbs:
It's not morbid curiousity; it's a desire to learn...

I2BZ2W8
05-09-2014, 07:14 AM
Glad they are ok.

mindman
05-09-2014, 07:16 AM
VERY glad to know that all will be ok. Thank goodness they were all geared up. Something to seriously think about for those that don't wear gear, or only wear a helmet. Hopefully nothing will ever happen, but if anything does, I for one want to give myself and my wife the best chances possible. All the gear all the time.

warp10
05-09-2014, 07:30 AM
Glad everyone is going to be alright. I too always try and learn from accidents as to what could be done, so that it does not happen to me or the people that I am riding with. :pray:

Gunner 02
05-09-2014, 07:31 AM
Glad all will be ok too, prayers out to them. I've got new found respect for Spyders now since owning and riding. The surge of power you get when you roll the throttle back hard is pretty amazing and you have to be prepared for it instead of surprised, not that it had anything to do with this accident, just in general. We hope all make full recovery and can get back to riding.

Bob Denman
05-09-2014, 07:38 AM
I guess I'd like to know if this was a case of three bikes getting wadded-up, because the formation was too close together? :dontknow:

StanProff
05-09-2014, 08:43 AM
I guess I'd like to know if this was a case of three bikes getting wadded-up, because the formation was too close together? :dontknow:

Could be Bob, I used to ride the "Run for the Wall" to Washington and after a few years I stopped running with the group ( I started running ahead of the group or behind to enjoy the run ). Anyone who has participated in this knows how intense the situation is with hundreds of bikes riding in close formation at interstate speeds. I greatly respect the purpose of the RFTW but found that I can support it without the stress and concern of close formation riding.
I am not as young as I use to be and I am sure my reflexes have slowed (of course we don't want to admit that).

OJ UK
05-09-2014, 08:47 AM
I hope they all recover quickly. It doesn't take much to run into the rear of the guy in front
when riding close. (Don't ask!)

Bob Denman
05-09-2014, 08:57 AM
Could be Bob, I used to ride the "Run for the Wall" to Washington and after a few years I stopped running with the group ( I started running ahead of the group or behind to enjoy the run ). Anyone who has participated in this knows how intense the situation is with hundreds of bikes riding in close formation at interstate speeds. I greatly respect the purpose of the RFTW but found that I can support it without the stress and concern of close formation riding.
I am not as young as I use to be and I am sure my reflexes have slowed (of course we don't want to admit that).
Amen; Brother! nojoke

sddinnh
05-09-2014, 09:05 AM
When I go on tour with a bunch of other bikes we always run at 3 second intervals (at a minimum). That gives everyone time to re-act, plus these are guys (and gals) that have ridden together for years, so we all pretty much know each others strengths and weaknesses. That said, there's no sense speculating until we know

DubuqueSpyderRyder
05-09-2014, 09:07 AM
All three are out of the hospital. Sara may still require shoulder surgery. Doctor wants to hold out. Both Sean (Deke) and Greta suffered concussions and bumps and bruises, but will be ok. All three were thrown from their bikes. This accident woke me up to why to wear good riding gear. All three were and all three will survive. Not sure that could have been said without proper helmets, gloves, jackets, pants, boots etc.
I would personally like to shout out to everyone for the thoughts, prayers, and concerns. God is good for sure. Ryde safe!

May God speed their healing, thank goodness for their protective gear.

DubuqueSpyderRyder

dadof4
05-09-2014, 10:19 AM
Wishing them a speedy recovery.

Oldmanzues
05-09-2014, 08:11 PM
Best wishes for all of them. A quick and full recovery
A couple lessons to "think about"
ATGATT , You just never know
Take a refresher course every couple years or at least go to parking lot and think/pratice emergency skills. Play/talk about a what if game while sitting around a after a ride. What are the hand signals ? What do I do if ? Following distance and why ?
Oldmanzues

EnjoyingTheRyde
05-09-2014, 09:09 PM
Glad everyone will be ok...

jScotD
05-09-2014, 09:17 PM

Blue Star
05-09-2014, 09:29 PM
Not a highway accident. A group of seven or so were riding back form the fest. Out of respect for friends I don't want to get into details. Lets just say that everyone that gets behind the wheel bears respnsibility when it comes to accident prevention. Leaders, sweeps, and everyone in between. Accidents within your own group to me are the worst to see. Because you re all brothers and sisters. Take a riding course, always refresh your skills. I know I will be.

:agree: it is better to wait for those involved to let us know, and only if they choose to. While it would be nice to know, so we all can learn from it. We never know if legal, or other issues are involved. I am sure when those involved are ready to let us know; they will at the right time.

PS. Praying for a speedy recovery.

jmeyers278
05-09-2014, 09:37 PM
I guess I should stop riding in tennis shoes, shorts and a tshirt in the summer...how do you ride with all that gear and not melt??

NetJunkie
05-09-2014, 09:41 PM
I guess I should stop riding in tennis shoes, shorts and a tshirt in the summer...how do you ride with all that gear and not melt??

Get good summer gear. You'll be cooler in a good mesh jacket than that t-shirt as your sweat won't instantly dry..it'll have a chance to cool you off.

Daisyjoe
05-09-2014, 09:54 PM
Saying a thank you :pray: that everyone is OK.

Dan McNally
05-09-2014, 10:15 PM
Deacon Smith posted on facebook that one spyder was making a right turn and another rider failed to complete the turn and ran into the turning spyder.

Dan_Ashley
05-09-2014, 11:15 PM
I live in the Southern California desert. This is what I do when it is hot--as in over 100:
1. Water...lots of it, in the saddlebags, down the throat.
2. Cooling vest soaked in water.
3. Armoured mesh jacket over the vest.
4. Armored mesh over pants.
5. Tactical, breathable boots.
6. Stop every 45 mins to hour to drink water and resoak the vest with water.
7. Helmet, open face with lots of vents.
8. Sunglasses
9. Mesh type racing gloves.
10. ABSOLUTELY no beer.

If I stop sweating I stop riding immediately and guzzle water until I start sweating, then wait to cool down before I start riding again.

It is a pain in the a$$ getting ready to go, but when I went down, I got back up. I slid on the pavement about 40 feet. I still have a head because of the helmet. I had ONLY a dislocated shoulder and two cracked ribs because of the jacket. I had no road rash at all. My feet were not injured. I had chipped a piece off my kneecap, that is still "loose" in my knee. (Did you know that injuries to toes, feet, and ankles account for 39% of motorcycle based injuries and that boots eliminate 73% of those injuries.). Edit: I forgot my hands: they were completely uninsured. My $90 riding gloves were destroyed though.

people who don't gear up are, in my opinion, no different than adolescents who deny that taking drugs can seriously hurt them. Gearing up is just part of the sport. If someone wants to be cool, warm, not need to use muscles and get tired, or if one wants things quiet without using ear protection, then a motorcycle is not for them.

...and, yes, there are times when it is too hot for me to Ryde. When it is 105 or more, I use an air conditioned cage...and I ride about 13,000 miles a year.

Papa
05-09-2014, 11:40 PM
A nurse/rider old me if I stop for gas and don't have to hit the john I'm not drinking enough. It seems to work as a guideline in hot weather.

2014 White RTS

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Deke
05-10-2014, 12:35 AM
Me and the missus are doing a little better every day. Sara's shoulder fracture is fairly severe, but the doctor wants to allow for some time for healing before doing any surgery.

I don't remember the accident due to the concussion I sustained. I'm bruised and sore, but I'll live.

I definitely want to give a shout-out about wearing proper riding gear! I've attached a picture of my helmet after the accident. Without it, there is no telling about the injuries! And the leather Can-Am jack definitely got broken in, and protected me from any road rash! So wear your gear!!

We're looking forward to getting the Spyder repaired and getting back on the road! Thanks for all the good wishes and prayers!

Deke

PrairieSpyder
05-10-2014, 08:09 AM
Me and the missus are doing a little better every day. Sara's shoulder fracture is fairly severe, but the doctor wants to allow for some time for healing before doing any surgery.

I don't remember the accident due to the concussion I sustained. I'm bruised and sore, but I'll live.

I definitely want to give a shout-out about wearing proper riding gear! I've attached a picture of my helmet after the accident. Without it, there is no telling about the injuries! And the leather Can-Am jack definitely got broken in, and protected me from any road rash! So wear your gear!!

We're looking forward to getting the Spyder repaired and getting back on the road! Thanks for all the good wishes and prayers!

Deke

I've been following this thread and praying for you 3. Thanks for the update. I'm glad you are doing better. Please keep us updated on the recovery.

Rid'nrandy
05-10-2014, 08:25 AM
[QUOTE=Deke;807502]Me and the missus are doing a little better every day. Sara's shoulder fracture is fairly severe, but the doctor wants to allow for some time for healing before doing any surgery.

Glad you are all doing well! Our prayers are with you for a full recovery and that you are back to riding in the very near future! God's speed! :pray:

Silvervette05
05-10-2014, 08:30 AM
they will all be alright. Proper gear is basic and should be worn at all times. Thoughts and :pray:'s for them...
:agree:

jScotD
05-10-2014, 08:44 AM
that was one messed up helmet,, glad you had it on..yall get well

Bob Denman
05-10-2014, 09:32 AM

Because sweating beats healing; by a LONG shot! :thumbup:

Oldmanzues
05-10-2014, 02:12 PM
I live in the Southern California desert. This is what I do when it is hot--as in over 100:
8. Sunglasses
10. ABSOLUTELY no beer.

If I stop sweating I stop riding immediately and guzzle water until I start sweating, then wait to cool down before I start riding again.

It is a pain in the a$$ getting ready to go, but when I went down, I got back up. I slid on the pavement about 40 feet. I still have a head because of the helmet. I had ONLY a dislocated shoulder and two cracked ribs because of the jacket. I had no road rash at all. My feet were not injured. I had chipped a piece off my kneecap, that is still "loose" in my knee. (Did you know that injuries to toes, feet, and ankles account for 39% of motorcycle based injuries and that boots eliminate 73% of those injuries.). Edit: I forgot my hands: they were completely uninsured. My $90 riding gloves were destroyed though.

people who don't gear up are, in my opinion, no different than adolescents who deny that taking drugs can seriously hurt them. Gearing up is just part of the sport. If someone wants to be cool, warm, not need to use muscles and get tired, or if one wants things quiet without using ear protection, then a motorcycle is not for them.

...and, yes, there are times when it is too hot for me to Ryde. When it is 105 or more, I use an air conditioned cage...and I ride about 13,000 miles a year..
I believe this about says it all. Deserves to be read and reread. then sit down with a cool ice tea and think about it.
Two old time sayings. I would rather sweat a little at a stop then bleed...... If you have a $39.95 head. wear a $39.95 helmet. ( a long time a good helmet was about $100.00)
Continued best wish for a full and compleat recovery.
Oldmanzues.

Wwulf76
05-10-2014, 10:55 PM
8. Sunglasses
10. ABSOLUTELY no beer.

...and, yes, there are times when it is too hot for me to Ryde. When it is 105 or more, I use an air conditioned cage...and I ride about 13,000 miles a year.

I second this. After going down on a two-wheeler at 50 mph thanks to some jerk who turned in front of me, I will not ride without gear. After 9 months, I am still messing with my knee (only wearing jeans). Everything else was covered. My foot would have been toast because the damage on my boot was so bad. It sheered off three laces cauterizing one of them, took out much of the stitching, and melted the bottom. My gloves saved my hands too. As it was, my glove (Can Am mesh gloves) had a whole in the palm and somehow my wedding ring about an inch and a half away from the hole was ground down a bit. The mesh jacket (Can Am 2013 jacket) did a great job as well. It had a hole in the elbow and melted from the heat but it kept me safe.