PDA

View Full Version : Help Needed for a First Time Owner

lilylady
05-08-2014, 08:44 AM
I have been looking at buying a Spyder for a couple of years and I did it this week. I purchased a 2013 ST-LTD. I have owned 3 previous two wheel motorcycles but this will be my first Spyder. I have searched for over an hour looking at older links about the riding differences between a 2 wheeler and a Spdyer but I cannot find any. So could you please help me with some pointers on how to ride in and against the wind, how to handle curves, and etc? I really appreciate your responses and your wisdom for a newbie Spyder owner.

Jim&Teresa
05-08-2014, 09:12 AM
:congrats: on your new Spyder.... (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?41346-quot-Do-s-and-Do-Nots-quot-for-new-Spyder-owners&referrerid=12858):ohyea: (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?41346-quot-Do-s-and-Do-Nots-quot-for-new-Spyder-owners&referrerid=12858)! :ohyea:

Link to enjoying your Spyder more -- the do's and don'ts:
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?41346-quot-Do-s-and-Do-Nots-quot-for-new-Spyder-owners&referrerid=12858 (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?41346-quot-Do-s-and-Do-Nots-quot-for-new-Spyder-owners&referrerid=12858)

Check out those riding tips for sure!

Here's to miles of smiles! :yes::yes::yes:

Bob Denman
05-08-2014, 09:13 AM
:congrats: The Spyders do not handle or feel at all like a conventional two-wheeler.
Their ride characteristics share much more with those of a snowmobile or an ATV.
My advice: Don't try to "strangle" the grips... a relaxed grip seems to work better for just about everybody.
Bring your knees in against the tank; it helps to keep you in one place up on top of the bike.
You'll want to lean your upper body to the inside of a turn. How much you need to lean, is a learned skill... Take your time; starting in lower-speed condtions and less stressful situations.
It'll come! It might take a couple of hundred miles, but it'll come! :thumbup:

Silvervette05
05-08-2014, 09:25 AM
:congrats: The Spyders do not handle or feel at all like a conventional two-wheeler.
Their ride characteristics share much more with those of a snowmobile or an ATV.
My advice: Don't try to "strangle" the grips... a relaxed grip seems to work better for just about everybody.
Bring your knees in against the tank; it helps to keep you in one place up on top of the bike.
You'll want to lean your upper body to the inside of a turn. How much you need to lean, is a learned skill... Take your time; starting in lower-speed condtions and less stressful situations.
It'll come! It might take a couple of hundred miles, but it'll come! :thumbup:
:agree: plus look up front and see if there is a spyder CD wiith the onwers manual that has
A ton of Info ;)

Chupaca
05-08-2014, 09:37 AM
if you follow the manual and video that came with your roadster you will get what you need. But hints or pointers l can give you a few. You have many safety features to help with the handeling. DPS dynamic power steering, ABS brakes, VSS vehicle stability control etc. They will all work to help keep you safe and on the ground. You do not have a front brake only the foot pedal which takes a moment or two to get used to. You don't have to put your feet down which only takes a moment to get used to. You can not split lanes or suerve to look for oncoming traffic. Whatever you strattle with the front wheels you will run over with the back one. The do's and don'ts mentioned above is the best go over it. Practice, it takes most a good 300/500 miles to really get comfortable...congrats on your new ryde..now get out and enjoy it..!! :thumbup:

MidTNDawg
05-08-2014, 09:48 AM
Just take your time. Most say a few hundred miles. In my case, I have over 600K miles on two wheels. When I had time to remember I was on three wheels, I never had a problem. However, it took me about 3K miles for my instinctive reaction to be for three wheels. Perhaps because of my advanced age, 78 y.o., I would not go back to two wheels. I said perhaps due to age. I really, really, like my Spyder.

spyderbirds
05-08-2014, 10:34 AM
:welcome: :congrats: on your new Spyder!!!! :ohyea:

Ryde Straight and True with......

PrairieSpyder
05-08-2014, 10:36 AM
I think all the advice and references will be just what you need to get started Spydering.

Where in Kansas are you?

lilylady
05-08-2014, 11:19 AM
Thanks everyone for the words of encouragement and wisdom. I will definitely check out the link and the DVD. I hope to start riding this weekend and putting on a few miles on the new Spyder. I live in central KS-Great Bend.

Bob Denman
05-08-2014, 11:35 AM
Is Patti (PrairieSpyder) anywhere near you? I'll be happy to volunteer her as a GREAT mentor, for a new rider! :thumbup:

sddinnh
05-08-2014, 11:43 AM
I'd have given you some advice, but I'm just learning too. I have a grand total of 1200 miles on mine.:D

Anyway, :congrats: on your new :spyder: and :welcome: to our party :2thumbs:

Bob Denman
05-08-2014, 11:45 AM
You're probably just about the best person to discuss this with the O.P. You have the most current experience with this transitional period! nojoke :thumbup:

PrairieSpyder
05-08-2014, 11:51 AM
Is Patti (PrairieSpyder) anywhere near you? I'll be happy to volunteer her as a GREAT mentor, for a new rider! :thumbup:

Great Bend is about 2 hours away from me. But maybe we could arrange to meet up in Salina for a ryde. Or sometime I could take a day ryde to Great Bend.

I'd be glad to help any way I can. LilyLady, PM me if you'd like to set up something.

Bob Denman
05-08-2014, 12:03 PM
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_11_4.gif (...Didn't mean to put you on the spot; but you know the bikes and the roads! :thumbup: And I'd ride with you!)

sddinnh
05-08-2014, 01:00 PM
You're probably just about the best person to discuss this with the O.P. You have the most current experience with this transitional period! nojoke :thumbup:

Ok, I'll do my best and try to impart what I learned. For some background, I came from 50 years of riding bikes, mostly BMW touring bikes. So, for the first 300 miles I was terrified that I'd push the wrong way on the bars and sent myself into the woods, then you combine that with the sensitive steering and I was really nervious. It seemed like I couldn't make it go straight down the road and it seemed like I was all over my lane :yikes: At one point, I even wondered had I made a $30,000 mistake, but I stuck with it and after about 600 miles, things began to settle down a little, I started to relax and get a little more comfortable on the bike. But, it truly is like starting over and you have to remember how long it took to get comfortable on two wheels.

So, by then I was at about 800 miles, it had started to feel more natural, and I started try to push it more thru the corners. That's when I learned to lean into the corners, grip the "tank" with my knees, and to press down on the outside footpeg (or floorboard). From that point it has been just a matter of practice. Now with 1200 miles on the bike, things still aren't quite "flowing" the way I would like them to yet, but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. I still have to do all that stuff "consciously", pick my line, shift my weight, and lean into the corner. None of that has yet to become automatic, but at least now I think it will.

However, I got a lot of good tips from reading all the stuff that has been recommended by others already (I got the same recommendations :thumbup:), and I practiced them everyday, but it's going to take a while before I can keep up with my buddies who are still running 2 wheels. :D However, I have plenty of support from my friends that I ride with and from the forum here (really a nice bunch of people - you can ask them ANYTHING), so I'm sure it's going to happen for me, and if you stick with it, for you too.

Hope this helps :dontknow: Best and happy riding

Dan_Ashley
05-08-2014, 01:17 PM
Just take your time. Most say a few hundred miles. In my case, I have over 600K miles on two wheels. When I had time to remember I was on three wheels, I never had a problem. However, it took me about 3K miles for my instinctive reaction to be for three wheels. Perhaps because of my advanced age, 78 y.o., I would not go back to two wheels. I said perhaps due to age. I really, really, like my Spyder.
It took me 2,000 miles. I rode a two wheeler for 43 yrs...no idea about how many miles...hardest lesson for me was to forget counter steering at freeway speeds. I finally mastered that by thinking "RELAX" over and over.

now I keep up with most "sane" sport bike riders in the twisties. They think it is funny to see a big RT keeping up.

rabtech
05-09-2014, 02:11 PM
I hope you don't mind me posting this. I can tell everyone here she has a nicely loaded Spyder ST Limited. :) Some of the extras she has that will help the handling, performance, and comfort are Fox Shocks, Ron swaybar, Laser Alignment, Belt Tensioner, Akropovik Exhaust, Adjustable Backrest, and Hi Flow Cat. And she is one of the nicest people I have ever spoke to. I hope you catch on fast and I wish I was in your area so I could ride with you. Be safe.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Bob Denman
05-09-2014, 02:16 PM
Should we ask where she found such a GREAT bike?? :D

rabtech
05-09-2014, 02:27 PM
:cool:

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk